ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 3. Aug 2017, 19:45

Let's try again :D

Download: ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C-beta1a

Testing server: ut2004://185.16.84.5:7777
Password: shipdock

Old thread.

------------

So. Some of you may remember the map Shipdock which was on the server a few years ago. It was removed in the end due to its performance, but while it was on the server, there was a real issue trying to find some agreement between everyone regarding the balance of vehicles and pickups.

This is a clean rebuild of the map which seems to have fixed the performance, so now we just need to try work on the vehicles/pickups again :D

If some of you wouldn't mind taking a look and posting your thoughts and any bugs you find, that would be great :thumbup:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby Dalyup! » Fri 4. Aug 2017, 12:16

I had a quick look and I can't find much to fault with it. Little feedback though

- I don't think there should be one spawn area at the cores. I really like how you made an area for it in the escape hatch but considering there is only exit out of there I think it's open to potential abuse, especially from the paladin or the flame badger that can come down from the primaries. Another spawn area or another exit from the current spawn area should resolve that.
- Not really a fan of having only hoverboards at nodes 2 and 8. I get why you don't want a badger or paladin in there but the defenders of the node still need something. An EONS scorpion would suffice.
- Does the water really have to be that deep? It's not really a big deal but it seems excessive (realistic for submarine harbours I guess). It doesn't create any performance issues or whatnot does it?

Overall, I really like what you've done thematically with the map. It feels like a genuine location, there are many means to get everywhere, and I like how you've scattered loads of goodies around the map for those who are willing to explore. Good job with it.

Cat1981England

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby Cat1981England » Fri 4. Aug 2017, 19:58

Thank you Daly!

Dalyup! wrote:- I don't think there should be one spawn area at the cores. I really like how you made an area for it in the escape hatch but considering there is only exit out of there I think it's open to potential abuse, especially from the paladin or the flame badger that can come down from the primaries. Another spawn area or another exit from the current spawn area should resolve that.
That's a very good point i didn't consider. I'm playing around with triggered spawn points atm and should be able to disable 8 from their current positions and enable 8 new ones on the other side of the core room.
- Not really a fan of having only hoverboards at nodes 2 and 8. I get why you don't want a badger or paladin in there but the defenders of the node still need something. An EONS scorpion would suffice.
The Hoverboards are meant to get across the water if the opposition node (2/8) is open without players having to use the jumpads/walk. I'll switch one Hoverboard with an EONScorpion at both nodes :thumbup:
- Does the water really have to be that deep? It's not really a big deal but it seems excessive (realistic for submarine harbours I guess). It doesn't create any performance issues or whatnot does it?
tbh, i don't know if it impacts on performance.

It is intentional though. There are a couple of hidden pickups down there that i wanted to make difficult to get to. Players will waste some time and health getting to them.

-----

I just need to work out how to get the triggerable spawn points to work and then i think this will be ready to go on unless anyone else has any feedback.

Changes so far:

- Turned red side ambient lighting off in the water.
- Fixed red side primary Badger pointing the wrong way.
- Replaced one of the HoverBoards at nodes 2/8 with a EONScorpion.
- Moved hidden pickup further down into the water.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

loucast

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby loucast » Sat 5. Aug 2017, 11:54

I think the map has a good layout, want to see how it will hold up with a few peeps playing it. Noticed a few things that might need some fixing:

1) Scorpions, web casters and flame badgers don't have the ability to jump (seems to be a server issue though)
2) The grenade structures in the starting room are passable, which isn't really a bother except you might get stuck for a few seconds
3) The narrow tunnel leading to the health relic needs some more work. Going on foot or some hover vehicle is fine, but I ended up on the bottom of that shaft the water flows into while attempting to get to the relic with a scorpion (or any ground vehicle) with no way out.

Cat1981England

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 5. Aug 2017, 19:41

Thank you Lou!

loucast wrote:1) Scorpions, web casters and flame badgers don't have the ability to jump (seems to be a server issue though)
Yeah that's the server.
2) The grenade structures in the starting room are passable, which isn't really a bother except you might get stuck for a few seconds
Fixed.
3) The narrow tunnel leading to the health relic needs some more work. Going on foot or some hover vehicle is fine, but I ended up on the bottom of that shaft the water flows into while attempting to get to the relic with a scorpion (or any ground vehicle) with no way out.
Fixed.
want to see how it will hold up with a few peeps playing it.
Yeah i think you're right, it's ready for that now :thumbup:

------

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C-beta1b

-----

Demo

Hyden
Description: Eastern Coast Canadian, gamer

Re: ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby Hyden » Sat 5. Aug 2017, 21:48

Thanks for another map. I didn't see any troublesome issues to report other than those previously mentioned.

Miauz55555

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby Miauz55555 » Sun 13. Aug 2017, 19:39

I don't have many.. just a few optical things:

I really like the submarines which are aproaching, but they have a to low Culldistance and there is no light.. so you don't see them.. set them to 0, too. Also they need some lights. Maybe also some lightcones for there frontlights.. on DM-Phobos are a few, but they may not fit.. there are somewhere better without the light. And place some blue lights in the water near the ships. Move the relic a litle deaper.
The VolumeFogEnd for the water is to low.. set the end to 10000.. than you can see the ships and can see the ones which are shooting at you.
It would be nice if you could use theMovers Gloups and me made for the relics.. you just need to correct the mover positions and use a unique tag for each relic.

Edit: And Sound.. put EchoSound in the ZoneInfos please. ZoneInfo -> ZoneSound -> ZoneEffect -> chouse something fitting like Factory_Hall -> new.
04.JPG
04.JPG (179.08 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Cat1981England

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 29. Aug 2017, 23:00

I couldn't raise the water fog to 10,000 Miau. It looks really odd because everything lights up when you go underwater. Had no choice in the end but to remove the fog altogether. I know the water looks upside down when you go into it, but it's the best i could do. Let me know what you think.

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C-beta1c. If the map doesn't show up in Instant Action you'll need to download the latest map pack.

- Moved core room central pillar to block more of the core from attackers.
- Teleporters added to the assault sub's.
- Added a moving platform to the core tunnels for quicker movement.
- Replaced one of the core tunnel ladders with a jumpad for the same reason.
- Altered the up tunnel blocking volumes to stop players hitting the top ledge after using the jumpad.
- Moved oil tanker across the core tunnel entrance to discourage people trying to drive into there.
- Placed a vehicle forcedirectionvolume at the tunnel entrance to be doubly sure (i know what you're like Lou).
- Fixed the sound location for the unopenable doors in the core rooms.
- Deleted some physic volumes because people didn't notice them.
- Lowed the opening time of the assault sub doors.
- The projectile jumpads (white) now boost Bio and Flak shells in addition to Grenades and Mines.
- Additional jumpads on the lower level near nodes 3 and 6.
- Slippery oil spills made bigger.
- Nodes 1 and 9 can be attacked directly from the core rooms.
- Blocking volumes raised on the main room ramps to counter the vehicle collision half way up.
- 2 x 25 health pickups and Relic of Vengeance added at nodes 2 and 8.
- Cull distance removed from underwater subs, lights added and weapon pickup moved further down.
- Gun relic moved down.
- Fog removed from water.
- Sounds added to zoneinfo's.
- Sharks moved up to stop them being culled too soon.
- Miau and GL's relic mover added to all the relics.
- Some small performance tweaks.

Are there any other changes or bug you would like to see people?

loucast

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby loucast » Wed 30. Aug 2017, 18:44

Cat1981England wrote:- Moved oil tanker across the core tunnel entrance to discourage people trying to drive into there.
- Placed a vehicle forcedirectionvolume at the tunnel entrance to be doubly sure (i know what you're like Lou).

Miauz55555

ONS-Shipdock-Assault-C

Postby Miauz55555 » Wed 30. Aug 2017, 20:46

Nice. :thumbup:
Cat1981England wrote:I couldn't raise the water fog to 10,000 Miau. It looks really odd because everything lights up when you go underwater. Had no choice in the end but to remove the fog altogether. I know the water looks upside down when you go into it, but it's the best i could do. Let me know what you think.

I think it's ok. The submarines are realy hard to see. Maybe brighter and lighter lights?
- Moved oil tanker across the core tunnel entrance to discourage people trying to drive into there.

:D
- The projectile jumpads (white) now boost Bio and Flak shells in addition to Grenades and Mines.
- 2 x 25 health pickups and Relic of Vengeance added at nodes 2 and 8.

Relic of Vengeance don't work without the mutator activated. Just the relics where we made the movers are working without the mutator (mutant should not used somewhere where you have a custom super weapon, ion, target painter).
The projectile jumppads wasn't working (bouncing projectiles) when I made a lan dedicated.. I may forgot a serverpakage?
- Miau and GL's relic mover added to all the relics.

I like the skins for the relics.. only problem they don't show up on a dedicated server, as well as the other skins for the relics. That's why we made the movers.. mover up and rotating around the relic.. relic gone.. mover down.. so exact the other way around.

Return to “The Creative Corner”