ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Anything about UT2004 mapping, Uscripting & more
Cat1981England

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 24. Jul 2017, 20:09

A big thank you to Daly and Peg for their work on the core area and the Hoverboard visual bug :thumbup:

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C-beta1

Changes:

- Redesigned the core area.
- Fixed Hoverboard visual bug while travelling on water.
- Add a fog ring inside of the skybox and created texture to match.
- Replaced the trees with with the stock version because the myLevel'ed ones textures were clashing with the fog ring.
- Replaced the nodes with OS2_RNH.
- Updated weapon lockers to Custom.
- New textures and emitters on the waterfalls.

I still need to make a better water texture for the little river that runs through the centre of the map, so in the mean time, if one or two of you wouldn't mind taking a look at this edit and checking for any bugs that would be a big help :thumbup:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Gaffer
Description: Total arse

Re: ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby Gaffer » Tue 25. Jul 2017, 15:53

I had a quick look, and it feels good!

The new core area is much better, no more annoying elavator taking you to the roof as soon as you spawn.

It feels like the map boundries are much further out then they need to be though. Most people will be fighting on land + you can't shoot from a hoverboard anyway so the map size feels a bit excessive. Plus the shark is in shallow water and you can surf above it! Preposterous!

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby GLoups! » Tue 25. Jul 2017, 17:41

I always found players gets always "stuck" on the two littles rivers that start from the cores and have the feeling of very weirds lags while playing on the server, i found that there are very bad collisions per triangles at theses places (1686/1555 triangles * 33) , i remade the collisions in 3dsmax (108/60 triangles) as a MCDCX_coli.
I found the SM are coming from the package :SC_GDC_M (StaticMesh'myLevel.Cave.CreekCurve' and StaticMesh'myLevel.Cave.CreekStraight') so the original stock texture for the water is :Shader'SC_Jungle.Creek.CreekWater' .
On the first attempt i delete the blockings volumes along the rivers that i don't think they were useful, later when dying or getting off the EONSLocust the player passed through the floor, all this because the karma collisions of the SM were disables (also dynamic lights), so here the second attempt with new (old) texture that fit better and make the moves easiers at theses passages.

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C-beta1-2

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby Pegasus » Tue 25. Jul 2017, 18:13

Played around a bit with it last night, and overall the edit seems to be on the right track. Here's a few errant thoughts n' improvement suggestions based on ~15mins' worth of playtesting.

- Vegetation collision was the most ubiquitous remaining issue I ran across, especially while on the hoverboard: plenty of shorter plants where one has to wonder what the gameplay point of enabling their karma/actor blocking properties was. Beyond this, the taller trees' downwards growing branches/foliage also collide with actors, pedestrian or otherwise, unexpectedly obstructing movement through 'em and allowing for some ...unconventional, acrobatic tactics should one be inclined to start shield jumping up them high enough. I'd recommend a collision disabling spree across the islands' flora with a mind of improving overall gameflow.
- Reworking the bases' geometry was long overdue and this concept seems serviceable enough, if somewhat lacking in z-axis tactical variety. Perhaps consider moving the antennae scaffolds towards the center of the map a bit in order to create enough space for a square hole above each core to be made as an alternative means of attacking, plus some (obvious to defenders) means of getting up on the core structures' roofs? Additionally, maybe place a couple of new rock st.meshes nearby the existing, bigger ones directly opposite each core in order for defenders to be able to climb up there and counter enemy core attackers?
- Possibly flatten the beachfront nodes (i.e. zero their pitch n' roll values) and do some more playtesting to ensure no obstructed angles remain from where players are unable to walk on the node bases.
- Link ammo seems a bit scarce at 100 per locker, kinda undermining the point of the CustomWeaponLockers' inclusion. Bump up to, say, 170ish?
- With only a dmg. amp on offer, the map comes across as pretty stingy in terms of helpful goodies, rewarding exploration and/or helping break through [bigger crowd] defenses. Yes, I'm aware of the few kegs n' super shields, and not inclined to recognize them as particularly useful in the generally uphill struggle towards the enemy core. Maybe judiciously sprinkle a couple more tactically useful items here or there? Possibly add a pair of symmetrical, far off islets for the hoverboards to go n' grab an ion or a translocator or such; or, alternatively, follow the ONS-Tropic-32p example and create a patch of beach/land right behind each core's rocky formation so something useful can rest there? Oh, and btw, I forgot to go over the mine "economy", so someone plz check that it makes sense rather than being too stingy or overly generous n' lag-inducing (remember, mines can be placed atop hoverboards too).
- On a lark, maybe add a few more location names and node descriptions? Currently, the locational information accuracy exhausts itself at the "east/west" point.
- Lastly, I must admit I've yet to become a proponent of the EONS Locust. It served an interesting purpose in UT3, what with its accompanying grapple functionality, but, divorced of such a mechanic here, the UT2004 port/equivalent manages to offer... what exactly? A less nimble, more vulnerable, non-strafing take on the manta, from which its driver can be separated after receiving any hit? Why not explore whether mantas can reasonably [or additionally] be accommodated in SavoIsland? Ditto for a bender or scorp per beach primary. Nothing crazy, but I think the map should be able to handle a total of 4-6 stock, lower-tier vehicles well enough.

That's all I got, hope it helps. Props for current progress and keep up the good work to all involved editors n' content contributors ;).

GLoups!

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby GLoups! » Tue 25. Jul 2017, 18:25

You need this: very similar than torlan collisions, very easy to do because you just have to select matching SM, copy on note-pad and replace in the map, and best optimisations while you disable all collision in properties, take less files sizes than Blockings Volumes (only one by SM), i'll have a look, not take long time with Max, days to comes.

Tree_colission.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GLoups!

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby GLoups! » Thu 27. Jul 2017, 15:50

So here's the result of the 194 coli-box with a gain of 326 ko uncompressed, 45 mn, the thing is there cannot be 2 edit of the map running at the same time so if you've already made something on your side, i will replace collisions at the end of the editing.
ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C-beta1-3
coli_box_savoy.jpg

coli_box_savoy_2.jpg

Of course there's always some weirds colis on somes rocks and tree chunks..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GLoups!

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby GLoups! » Wed 16. Aug 2017, 13:21

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C-beta1-8

The map is now with vehicles, gameplay's direction not alter but greatly improved thx to you Peg , your careful consulting is not going out of the window this time, the latters changes will be presented for approval and feedbacks of course.
So all the points discussed above have been fix, in addition i could not resist to pass up the opportunity of improving the visual of the map particulary the sea colour that really hurt eyes, is now a fluid furface more appropriate , nothing unsafe yet.
Regarding the EONS Locust, it's gone, unless somes should be unhappy but i have doubts, the goodies arsenal is reallocate, somes hiding painters, somes Ons-painters on the two news island that are grown each side of the main isle.
The worryingly lacks of complementary supply of natural stairs enabling the travels above the numerous granits blocks is now fix by moving somes blocks to include several points of access and enabled hereafter the possibility to put the kegs a little higher in a more strategicals way.
I realyze now than the map had to be unoptimized for online play, so i had two big Bsp each side of the map and delete numerous of unusefull pickups, particulary 20 MiniHealthPacks, replace by 2 SuperHealthPacks.
In additions i think that adding 2 Transpickups should revitalise the gameplay, sure have to work a little to reach them.
New radar minimap and screenshots, small fixs to paths, and littles changes to ambient sounds, emitters set to highdetails, forceddirvolumes.
No vehicles at the cores, because it's rather simplistic, and this way, to authorize a kind of "on feet" play at the start of the match and in the center of the main isle, the vehicles are located on the sides with mantas for water travels, scorpions for counter mantas, and HellBenders for team movements.

Cat1981England

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby Cat1981England » Fri 18. Aug 2017, 19:58

Thanks great, thank you GL and you too Peg :thumbup:

It's looking good, but i think the Hoverboards should go back on the map. They can be really useful coming from either core attacking your primaries or trying to get to the Island pickups quickly.

Any chance of one or two at each core?

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

GLoups!

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby GLoups! » Fri 18. Aug 2017, 22:43

Yes I think they could be added at bases, If that's all there is to add, with the correction on the minimap :shock:

Cat1981England

ONS-SavoIsland-K-D-C

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 19. Aug 2017, 00:15

GLoups! wrote: with the correction on the minimap :shock:

Oh yeah, i missed that :lol:

Return to “The Creative Corner”