Karma thing

Anything about UT2004 mapping, Uscripting & more
Cat1981England

Karma thing

Postby Cat1981England » Fri 22. Sep 2017, 23:16

Could someone please explain to me how to get the Karma Thing, such as the ducks on MasterShower, to work correctly online?
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Karma thing

Postby GLoups! » Sat 23. Sep 2017, 11:37

Does the duck work properly? if soJust copy the one from MasterShower and past in your map, furthermore you can change the Static mesh, the drawscale etc...and all the properties in karma which are somehow explicit.

Cat1981England

Karma thing

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 23. Sep 2017, 20:19

Thanks GL.

The duck does work on other maps until i change the SM :dunnosoz:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

GLoups!

Karma thing

Postby GLoups! » Sun 24. Sep 2017, 13:43

Ok after test same things happened, its because your Static mesh has no Karma Info or to make simple :no collisions prisms in sm-browser (set view>show karma primitives), for adding karma infos, the sm need to be in mylevel (if not, try rename, change package name to mylevel,save your map then don't save package after quit unrealed) and goto collision tools> fit 6-DOP (box), Enable collision need to be true for the materials and for UseSimpleKarmaCollision/UseSimpleBoxCollision.
toilet.jpg

More infos about: Kactor/Karma thing
You can set UseSimpleLineCollision to false if you want a better accuracy when shooting with weapons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cat1981England

Karma thing

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 24. Sep 2017, 20:39

It worked! Thank you GL :thumbup:

The SM was already myLeveled and had basic collision, but after reapplying using Collision Tools it started to work :D

----

Now comes my next question.... do you or one of the equally experienced members (Peg, Wormbo, Crusha, VK or anyone else) know of a way to combine a Karma SM with a Deco SM?

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Karma thing

Postby Pegasus » Sun 24. Sep 2017, 21:54

Not completely sure what you're asking about there, Cat. If you're aiming to make a Decoration/DECO_Smashable class actor that already uses a st.mesh also block karma, that's as easy as myLeveling it (to avoid altering a stock package asset, if that's where it's from) and applying a karma collision primitive, or model, to it through the usual UEd's St.Mesh browser tools - or via importing a model externally. Edit: I'm not sure that would do much with respect to realism, or otherwise enhancing player experience though, since karma collision checks wouldn't lead such an actor to break, unless actual damage or encroachment was also happening, and in which case you don't really need the added processing burden of karma awareness.

If your question, however, relates further to this thread's subject matter, say, by trying to add Decoration-class functionality (taking damage, breaking sound & emitter, respawning) into a KActor/KarmaThing, you may want to look into later versions of DaJMasta's GoodKarma project, from where KarmaThing itself originates.

Cat1981England

Karma thing

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 30. Sep 2017, 11:21

Sorry, i didn't explain myself very well.

What i'm hoping for is a barrel that the players can push, but will also explode once shot. That sounds like your second paragraph and i'll read through the pages you linked to soon :thumbup:

Thank you for your help.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Karma thing

Postby Pegasus » Sat 30. Sep 2017, 21:48

Aye, it's always baffled me how much Epic botched what's pretty much regarded as a hallmark of gaming nomenclature - the humble exploding barrel. Not only are they usually brightly coloured, which is notably absent here, but in most games, when you shoot one of those, it triggers a fiery explosion with a significant blast radius n' audible sound, harming all damageable elements around it. In UT200x, however, there's this insipid, inexplicable flying upwards and ensuing mid-air fireworks that follows, while the blast radius is marginally wider than a rocket launcher's missile (256.0UU vs 220.0UU).
I, too, then must confess to have thought about improving on the shoddy, stock UT2004 exploding barrel a few times, and having them also be karma-aware - as a feature distinct from taking damage and exploding - has indeed been one of the improvements I've wanted to see in one, affording players the added tactical nuance of pushing 'em down slopes or cliff edges and then triggered 'em at the most opportune moment (or upon impact).

Now, the key game design decision driving a mod like this would probably be that pushing such a barrel should be possible through lesser, momentum-imparting projectiles and shots (player xPawns themselves can't push), thus introducing the need for a damage threshold before the barrel would explode and the need to determine acceptable DamTypes that wouldn't set off the barrel versus those that most likely would, too. A maximum allowed "push damage" value I figured awhile back might be sensible to hard-code as such a threshold was anything less than ~75-80hp per shot (as in per individual TakeDamage call), with the exception of sniper DamTypes (you'd want those in to serve as a purposeful, remote triggering option). Rockets doing 90hp or anything above that cut (likely concussive stuff) should set off the barrels. Optionally, high falls could also be considered as another way leading to explosion, but that might require further research in terms of terminal velocities they'd reach and what a sensible value there might be. Edit: ditto when encroached by vehicles or movers.

Lastly, and from a pragmatic, coding perspective, there's probably two complications here. One is, you'd need to introduce a TakeDamage function that would distinguish based on damage amount and fork accordingly either to nothing happening (so karma simulation continues normally), or to a switch to, say, an Exploding state, where Instigator and, say, the NetKExplodingBarrel's DamType would be used to attribute frags.
Additionally, since KActors and derivative variants are considerably more sizeable and complex objects in the game's memory than typical projectiles, ephemeral dynamic loading and/or deletion should be avoided, much like the case is with how the game handles stationary turrets or DECO_Smashable class actors. Along that line and after a blast of such a barrel then, they'd need to instantly have all their collision properties disabled, possibly have their karma functionality disabled in other ways as well, become bHidden, have their location and karma properties reset to original location n' values, and finally, set a Timer for when they'd return to their default state.

So... yeah, there'd be a bit of work in getting all this done, playtested n' replicating properly, because even the most advanced GoodKarma version only allows punting damage from the NetKActors, IIRC, but I don't think distinguishes based on received damage whether to explode n' do damage around it or not - though they do feature optional destructibility and have reset functionality of they fall off-world, so those two would save time. All told, it's definitely not that big a project or outside the scope of reasonable UScript ability, and, whether anyone else might be interested in collaborating on this or not, rethinking and talking about this has definitely rekindled my desire to look into it again.

Hope this shed some light into what you were driving at, and, as usual, sorry for the impromptu rant.

PS: If you can't find the GoodKarma package still hosted anywhere online (it includes many versions in the same archive up to build 99 beta 4.0, plus documentation, I believe), I still have it somewhere here, so lemme know and I'll put it up for you.

Cat1981England

Karma thing

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 7. Oct 2017, 10:26

Pegasus wrote:PS: If you can't find the GoodKarma package still hosted anywhere online (it includes many versions in the same archive up to build 99 beta 4.0, plus documentation, I believe), I still have it somewhere here, so lemme know and I'll put it up for you.

If you could post a copy that would be great :thumbup:

GLoups!

Karma thing

Postby GLoups! » Sat 7. Oct 2017, 12:31

If it could help, there's a "Classes" files in the archive i presume an unfinished one for a beta 4.5, after somes research the beta 4.5 is in use in the Killingfloor mod with slightly changes, it has somes destructions functions that are not used in the mod, so i try build it with the classes files.
I change a couple of minor things in order to work with a Barrels, so it's work well in instant action but the respawn functions seems screw-up in dedicated server, may be it's why they don't use them in KF mod and let me think it's unfinished.
Lastly i can't figure how to attribute frags in the barrel's DamageType, and DamageType in general. :think:
Here's are interesting properties for the NetKactor:

Damage: initialHealth
Destruction:explodeDamage/explodeForce/explodeRadius/DestructionSound/DestroyedEffect.
KParams:KMass, bKAllowRotate->give me warnings when use it, bDestroyOnWorldPenetrate->i think this must be to true for avoid massive logspam.
NetKactor:bPuntable-> untranslatable :p , bShoveable->player can push it, ShoveModifier-> A multiplier to change how hard the object is shoved.
Respawning: AutoRespawnTime, bRespawnEffect, inactivityTimeout (seem to me conflicting with AutoRespawnTime).

I put somes of theses barrels (beta 4.5) at the top of the Base-tower on Ons-Torlan for testing purpose: Ons-Torlan-GK
Link to the original version without beta 4.5:GoodKarma.rar

Return to “The Creative Corner”