ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Anything about UT2004 mapping, Uscripting & more
Cat1981England

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 18. Oct 2015, 19:54

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C-beta1. If the map doesn't show up in yoour map list you'll need the CEONSS map pack.

This was edited from the ut2003 ctf version but I've added VK's name because it's the same map gameplay wise. Map size reduced from 26mb to 14mb, fps up 10% to 50% depending on your location. The nodes are in the same position and their build time is the same but the player spawn and weapon lockers are slightly different. Before anyone asks - i won't be making any gameplay changes.

- Fixed player spawn bug.
- Fixed lightening gun bug.
- Convert from CTF to ONS
- Added Specials RNH nodes.
- Removed all weapon pickups and added custom weapon lockers - No avril's, mines, no extra minigun ammo, everything else full.
- Added the same relics but added an image to each one to show what they do.
- Added Minigun turrets.
- Some bot pathing changes.
- Re-did all player starts.
- Re-did anti-portals and some zoning.
- Unlit some textures and set cull distance.
- Better network performance.
- Some small lighting, static mesh and texture changes. The only one which is noticeable is the water.
- Spun map 90' clockwise as the original runs left to right.

If one or two of you wouldn't mind taking a look and making sure i haven't missed anything or made a mistake i would appreciate it :thumbup:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Re: ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Zon3r » Sun 18. Oct 2015, 21:39

I can't write whole pages:

--Performance is significantly better. Quite alot
--The map looks darker, it's nice
--More fog, a bit unusual
--Distortion while zooming with lg fixed finally, very nice
--Weapon lockers are moved in some places, not affecting gameplay. good.
--Added turrets? i only see the ones that were already there :)
--Bots are playing perfectly well
--Water looks like it's not there at first glance, but no one is looking at it anyway, i guess it's for performance
--The core is way easier to attack, not sure it's a good idea, we'll see

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 18. Oct 2015, 21:46

Thank you Zon :thumbup:

Zon3r wrote:--More fog, a bit unusual

I didn't increase the fog. Maybe VK changed the colour. I'll take another look.

--Added turrets? i only see the ones that were already there :)

The original map doesn't have them. I should have said re-add :oops:

--Water looks like it's not there at first glance, but no one is looking at it anyway, i guess it's for performance

It was yes. There's enough headroom in the map performance wise to go back to the old water or try something else if you like?

--The core is way easier to attack, not sure it's a good idea, we'll see

My bad, I thought it was in the same place. I'll fix that.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Mon 19. Oct 2015, 18:04

Nice Cat,

thanks for that. Zony mentioned everything what is important.

The images on the relics are nice. The ghost is cute.
When you can make the water more looking like water? Don't have to be so shiny like the original, yust a bit more colour.
And perhaps add a sky. A night with a full red moon and a fwe stars would be nice. But i think this would destroy your performance boost and increase the map sice. :D
A cear sky is maybe unrealistic for a map that looks like a Scottish environment? :P
It's only optical.

PS: I'm looking at the wather Zon. Everytime i fall into it. ;)

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Pegasus » Mon 19. Oct 2015, 20:52

Had the chance to take a quick, offline look at it today; here's a few thoughts:

- Good job properly diagnosing the sniper zoom issue (as NOT a HoM subcase, but, instead, as a fog distance settings clash between overlapping zones - IIRC, between the main ZoneInfo one and the SkyZoneInfo), and fixing it by removing the skybox one and using a light there for the needed globally coloured illumination. [A priority of -1000000 might've been a bit excessive though :p.]
- Node locations could stand to be labeled via volumes, and so could other notable map areas on a more localized basis.
- Smart thinking sidestepping the nonspecific relics' texture issue by making the bases mere st.meshes and placing standalone XRelic pickups on top of them. Their ingame images, however, seem to be inverted contrast-wise, as a result of manually applying in UEd the HUD subgroup corresponding texes from XRelicsTextures.utx instead of the ones in Icons, which will make 'em look correct. On a more general note regarding analysis & eval of the XRelics' gameplay merits, I believe I've gone on record with my thoughts on that extensively in the past, and still stand by my assessment about how most of them offer no significant value to justify the XRelics pack's added size compared to other, standalone pickups that can deliver similar functionality (kegs, shields, dmg amp, invisibility pickup that keeps players cloaked even when they shoot, UT3JumpBoots, etc.).
- FluidSurfaceInfo could indeed use some fixing up. Unfortunately, a better example doesn't spring to mind offhand, but shop around some other maps and you should come across some more convincing implementations - focus on the missing sheen/specular layer aspect.
- Map could use a radar image, but if you do decide to grab one, make sure you do so only after the map's visible appearance has been finalized, FSI included.
- Have you considered any alternative node link setups beyond the default one? Not that this is what's preventing the map from substantially improving, mind (my thoughts on Stonewall's general appraisal, as well as its lacking ONS gametype adherence nature are on the record, too), but just as a point of added variety for those that care for it.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 19. Oct 2015, 21:29

Miauz55555 wrote:When you can make the water more looking like water? Don't have to be so shiny like the original, yust a bit more colour.

Still playing around with the water. But i'll make something better.

Miauz55555 wrote:And perhaps add a sky. A night with a full red moon and a fwe stars would be nice. But i think this would destroy your performance boost and increase the map sice. :D

I can try and add a few stars and moon, no promises though.

Pegasus wrote:- Node locations could stand to be labeled via volumes, and so could other notable map areas on a more localized basis.

:thumbup:

Pegasus wrote:On a more general note regarding analysis & eval of the XRelics' gameplay merits, I believe I've gone on record with my thoughts on that extensively in the past, and still stand by my assessment about how most of them offer no significant value to justify the XRelics pack's added size compared to other, standalone pickups that can deliver similar functionality (kegs, shields, dmg amp, invisibility pickup that keeps players cloaked even when they shoot, UT3JumpBoots, etc.).

I agree apart from the health relic which is used by a lot of the players. I'll replace the Rad with a super shield, the two 25 health pickups with super keg and the invisibility relic with the standalone one.

Pegasus wrote:- Map could use a radar image, but if you do decide to grab one, make sure you do so only after the map's visible appearance has been finalized, FSI included.
:thumbup:

Pegasus wrote:- Have you considered any alternative node link setups beyond the default one? Not that this is what's preventing the map from substantially improving, mind (my thoughts on Stonewall's general appraisal, as well as its lacking ONS gametype adherence nature are on the record, too), but just as a point of added variety for those that care for it.
TBH the only change i considered was to cut and paste the map from the server to an old HD, taking it into the garden and smashing the thing with a sledgehammer.

I really wanted to avoid making any gameplay changes, but if you or anyone else think they have a better link setup - post here and we can try it on the server using the current map. If the players prefer it then it can go on permanently with this edit.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 24. Oct 2015, 20:37

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C-beta2

- Added stars and moon to sky.
- New water skin.
- Added area volumes.
- Adjusted Cores. They are now the same size and position as the the current server map.
- Changed relic images.
- Replaced 2 25 health pickups with a single Health Keg, Radiation relic with Super Shield and Invisibility relic with the stand alone version (Doubleslap).

I've set the new Invisibility pickup to last and to respawn every 90 seconds. One down side to the new pickup is that players can use it and the health relic at the same time.

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Sun 25. Oct 2015, 00:35

Water and Sky are looking great.
I like it Cat, excellent work.
Thank you.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Tue 27. Oct 2015, 00:57

Changes are ok, not removing the health relic was a wise choice, i really like it.
"I've set the new Invisibility pickup to last and to respawn every 90 seconds."
If you pick it up, it lasts 90secs? nice, lots of killing :)
i think the map is server ready, people will like it, i'm sure(or at least no one will complain)
(don't edit it further, just a side note: the only thing that was "poking" me, is the moon, you have put it on the sky where no one can see it :) something like this)

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Postby GLoups! » Tue 27. Oct 2015, 08:38

Zon3r wrote:(don't edit it further, just a side note: the only thing that was "poking" me, is the moon, you have put it on the sky where no one can see it :) something like this)

Just put the drawscale of the moon to 0.25 will be perfect ;) :award:

Return to “The Creative Corner”