ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Anything about UT2004 mapping, Uscripting & more
Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Pegasus » Tue 27. Oct 2015, 18:32

Don't! Make it even bigger, place it in the middle of the skybox facing down, and use this texture:

You know you want to!

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 27. Oct 2015, 22:21

peg.png
peg.png (129.18 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

:ghehe:

- Moved moon and reduced drawscale down to .25
- Replaced side wall pillars with static meshes.

The reason for the moon being overhead was to explain where the shimmering light from the water was coming from. I'll add a radar map before this goes on the server.

Thanks for all the feedback :thumbup:

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Postby Dalyup! » Sun 15. Jan 2017, 22:05

The discussion on the 'Stonegate' thread and the mention that the main fault in DM maps tends to be the narrowness of of such maps got me thinking.

I think the main issue that can make Stonewall into a stalemate is this node (and its counterpart):

Zon3r wrote:Image

There are two entrances to this node, but when a team has both of these nodes there may as well be one entrance. One entrance which is very narrow, easily defendable, and gives the only view to people inside the house (the windows are negligible), which makes the node very difficult to recapture. I think this makes the node far too easy to defend, and is thus badly designed. A node should be defended on virtue of the team's skill, not very favourable circumstances.

Do you guys agree?

I think adding another entrance somewhere and/or widening the entrance might make comebacks more possible.

Gaffer
Description: Total arse

Postby Gaffer » Sun 15. Jan 2017, 22:42

Yep, that node is definitely one of the big problems. Perhaps even widening the windows so people can shoot the node through them easily might help. Fixing that node would go a long way to improving the map, but there are a couple more issues.
The primary to the left (can't remember numbers) shouldn't be spammable from before the hut thing you can see on the picture above. Or atleast you should be able to return fire on those people without needing to run up to them.

I think the connection between the primary to the right and the next node across the bridge is too narrow. Its really just a spam fest where you can shoot rockets at the bridge and anyone crossing will fall into the water.

salko
Description: defender

Postby salko » Mon 16. Jan 2017, 08:03

Agree with Dalyup.

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Postby GLoups! » Mon 16. Jan 2017, 17:24

Dalyup! wrote:...

There are two entrances to this node, but when a team has both of these nodes there may as well be one entrance. One entrance which is very narrow, easily defendable, and gives the only view to people inside the house (the windows are negligible), which makes the node very difficult to recapture. I think this makes the node far too easy to defend, and is thus badly designed. A node should be defended on virtue of the team's skill, not very favourable circumstances.

Do you guys agree?

I think adding another entrance somewhere and/or widening the entrance might make comebacks more possible.

That is a question of taste, personaly i think this node require more technics to get out of there the campers inside, is one of my favorite and this window is not very use but you can still even jump in from the bridge, the point is what gaffy said: the primary can be shoot down from here on a relatively large distance (and lg spamming is less interesting) which make the defense almost ineffective, may be re-examine this primary node layout, just a thought.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 16. Jan 2017, 17:50

What if it was made easier to get onto the bridge?

You can get on there from your core by going up the lift and jumping along the roof tops down your righthand side. But i rarely see anyone doing that.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Mon 16. Jan 2017, 18:17

Cat1981England wrote:What if it was made easier to get onto the bridge?
You can get on there from your core by going up the lift and jumping along the roof tops down your righthand side. But i rarely see anyone doing that.

I do that.. when it's time. I also like to jump over the other roofs. You can go up on every roof on Stonewall.. thats one thing why I like it.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 16. Jan 2017, 21:05

Miauz55555 wrote:I do that.. when it's time. I also like to jump over the other roofs. You can go up on every roof on Stonewall.. thats one thing why I like it.

I was thinking we could make the roofs down this side a little larger to make it easier for everyone. That double jump above the bridge is a bit tricky.

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Postby Dalyup! » Mon 16. Jan 2017, 22:21

GLoups! wrote:That is a question of taste, personaly i think this node require more technics to get out of there the campers inside, is one of my favorite and this window is not very use but you can still even jump in from the bridge, the point is what gaffy said: the primary can be shoot down from here on a relatively large distance (and lg spamming is less interesting) which make the defense almost ineffective, may be re-examine this primary node layout, just a thought.

I see what you and Gaffer are getting at. I usually have a disdain for maps where the primary is in direct sight of the other node because it makes it too trivial to take down the primary again.

Cat1981England wrote:What if it was made easier to get onto the bridge?

Which bridge are you referring to? I know you can double-jump onto the wall near the house-corridor that connects the primary and node in question but people also rarely do that. Perhaps giving a direct walkable route onto that node may encourage people to use it as an alternative path rather just going through the house-corridor?

Giving alternative paths is good, but it doesn't resolve the (near enough) direct line-of-sight the house node gets to the primary. IIRC, the house-corridor is entered through two ramp. Perhaps removing these ramps, lowering the floor of the house-corridor, and thus obscuring the node's line-of-sight might work?

I can (poorly) illustrate what I mean through Paint if need be.

Return to “The Creative Corner”