ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Anything about UT2004 mapping, Uscripting & more
Miauz55555

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Miauz55555 » Thu 4. May 2017, 19:29

Nice. Just a litle for this two additions:

Jumppads:
Can we have an other colour please?
Rotate it so the texture is parallel to the wall, will look nicer, I think.
The Emitter particels could be lower. In high and in detail. All for performance, because it's in a very buisy area.

From the StaticMesh set all collisions to False.
Display -> cullDistance 2000
Emitters:
00, 01 Color -> colorScale -> 0 -> color -> "..." ; chose one
01 General -> MaxParticles: 30
00, 01 Local -> DetailMode: DM_Low
01 Spawning -> Automati..: False; Initial..: 10; Partikel...: 5
00, 01 Tick -> SecondsBeforeInactive: 0.01
01 Time -> LifetimeRange: min 1; max 2

Teleporter:
An Emitter insted these corona lights.. just copie one from an other map which you think is fitting.
If you want it a litle more interesting using the teleporter you should just make one (move the shield to the right and the teleporter to the left) and use for the two destination teleporters the same Tag. When using teleporters it's very important to try to force the players entering it from where you want.. so best move it close to a wall.
The ligths without the corona mesh just have 0 Light Radius.. may put it to 5 if you want to keep it. Also an other colour would be nice.
Last edited by Miauz55555 on Thu 4. May 2017, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit

-Nick-

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby -Nick- » Thu 4. May 2017, 19:38

Good job Daly.

Checked the map and everything works as it should :thumbup:

The only downside i can think of to the teleporters is that it might engourage unexperiened stray players to go spawn killing at 2-1-5 once the primarys are destroyed to lock them nodes. Hopefully this helps relief the chokes a bit so a team is not always pinned down to their primarys like many games played on this map.
Find a way.

smalltown
Description: UT 2004 cunt player

Re: ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby smalltown » Sat 6. May 2017, 01:40

stupid and curious question what dm map gonna be out of the roster for this one.....???????
suggestion: pandemonium (unplayable when high player count) or spankjox (gravity present on both maps but in this one makes it look slow dead bodies flying in the space)
:firedevil: :firedevil: STOMBOTOWN :firedevil: :firedevil: :machinegun: :cool2cool: :yoman:

widurr

Postby widurr » Sun 7. May 2017, 13:51

If there is a map to be kicked out, I'm voting for pandemonium. Spankjox is excellent with ~25 players and it's still fun with <10, which is definitely an asset for the times outside peak hours.

Cat1981England
Administrator

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 7. May 2017, 18:20

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=964&start=6

Cat1981England wrote:I appreciate everyone giving their thoughts about a possible roster change, but this isn't down to mine, the admins or public opinion. It's the stats that dictate roster changes. This helps keep things impartial.

Thanks to the work of the editors, we have a large (and ever increasing) collection of maps to pick and choose from. This allows us to rotate maps to keep things interesting and/or as soon as they start to decline in popularity or affect the map immediately after.

Maps are changed "like for like" to maintain a balanced roster. So if Bridge starts to decline it'll be replaced by Stone or Gren, which alongside SpaceCargo are all competing for 2 spots on the roster. The same thing happens with "Spam map slot" DeathDome, Jailbreak, Sektor 9 and Spambox, or the mini-maps, Tabletop, Home-Sweet-Home, MyRoom and Basement-Home-Theater.

If we all had our say on what maps should stay or go, the map roster would slowly drift towards a single style of map. And a small warning for the people who would like Stone back on the roster, this drift would most likely head towards heavy-tank type maps ;) And it's the same reason why we will sometimes temporarily remove a popular map if it helps maintain a balanced map roster btw.

If people wish to see an old map back on the roster you should create a Zombie poll such as the one Small created here.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Dalyup! » Mon 8. May 2017, 19:00

Miauz55555 wrote:Nice. Just a little for these two additions:

Jumppads:
Can we have another colour please?

I have changed the colour of the red-side jumppad's emitters to have a red hue and vice versa.

Miauz55555 wrote:Rotate it so the texture is parallel to the wall, will look nicer, I think.

I do not agree. I think having the texture facing the direction that a player is propelled indicates to the player which direction they will be flung before they step on it.

Miauz55555 wrote:The Emitter particles could be lower. In high and in detail. All for performance, because it's in a very busy area.

From the StaticMesh set all collisions to False.
Emitters:
00, 01 Color -> colorScale -> 0 -> color -> "..." ; chose one
01 General -> MaxParticles: 30
00, 01 Local -> DetailMode: DM_Low
01 Spawning -> Automati..: False; Initial..: 10; Partikel...: 5
00, 01 Tick -> SecondsBeforeInactive: 0.01
01 Time -> LifetimeRange: min 1; max 2

I have done as you suggested. The path-indicating particles were indeed lasting a bit too long.

Miauz55555 wrote:Teleporter:
An Emitter instead these corona lights.. just copy one from an other map which you think is fitting.

What is wrong with corona lights? I just copied the portal from another map. Barracks I think it was.

Miauz55555 wrote:If you want it a little more interesting using the teleporter you should just make one (move the shield to the right and the teleporter to the left) and use for the two destination teleporters the same Tag. When using teleporters it's very important to try to force the players entering it from where you want.. so best move it close to a wall.

Would that not randomise which exit you are teleported to? I would rather have players being able to choose which side they go to. That's why I placed a portal on either side of the super shield, in order to show that the portal on the left side takes you to the left side of the map ("left" depending on which team you are on) and vice versa.

If I move the portal next to the wall or the corner, I still have the problem of players either entering the portal diagonally from the door or from the super shield. I think it's far more likely that players enter the portals diagonally so I think it would be better to leave them as is. I could easily be proven wrong when the map is played, of course.

Miauz55555 wrote:The lights without the corona mesh just have 0 Light Radius.. may put it to 5 if you want to keep it. Also an other colour would be nice.

Yeah, I just copied them from that other map and I now see they are doing nothing. I deleted them.

-Nick- wrote:The only downside i can think of to the teleporters is that it might engourage unexperiened stray players to go spawn killing at 2-1-5 once the primarys are destroyed to lock them nodes. Hopefully this helps relief the chokes a bit so a team is not always pinned down to their primarys like many games played on this map.

I never considered that, I guess it's possible. I suppose we will have to wait and see if that happens.

Here is ONS-Stonewall-C-D2

Miauz55555

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Miauz55555 » Mon 8. May 2017, 20:16

Dalyup! wrote:I have changed the colour of the red-side jumppad's emitters to have a red hue and vice versa.

Nice!
I do not agree. I think having the texture facing the direction that a player is propelled indicates to the player which direction they will be flung before they step on it.

Fair enough.
What is wrong with corona lights? I just copied the portal from another map. Barracks I think it was.

They lower the performance when there are many, the game will not render more than (17?) at the same time. But in this case a nice emitter would just look better.
Would that not randomise which exit you are teleported to? I would rather have players being able to choose which side they go to. That's why I placed a portal on either side of the super shield, in order to show that the portal on the left side takes you to the left side of the map ("left" depending on which team you are on) and vice versa.

Yes, random. I had in mind that you can't get fraged bye a player and be back with 100 hp + 100 shield 2 seconds after.. but have a chance to be on the other side of the map.. maybe really shwitch on teleporter with one from the other team to make it more interesting?
If I move the portal next to the wall or the corner, I still have the problem of players either entering the portal diagonally from the door or from the super shield. I think it's far more likely that players enter the portals diagonally so I think it would be better to leave them as is. I could easily be proven wrong when the map is played, of course.

I moved in them from the site. If you want to really ensure than you need to build a cage arrount the teleporter. On Torlan-Invitation is something like that on the core-towers. "StaticMesh'AbaddonHardware.WallPanels.Wall25603bgrateAB'" DrawScale x0.6, y1.4, z1.0. But there is no need for that.

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Dalyup! » Thu 11. May 2017, 19:24

Miauz55555 wrote:They lower the performance when there are many, the game will not render more than (17?) at the same time. But in this case a nice emitter would just look better.

Ah yes, I forgot about that limitation in DirectX and OpenGL. I have replaced the coronas with the emitter from Bitchslap. I agree it does look a bit nicer.

Miauz55555 wrote:Yes, random. I had in mind that you can't get fraged bye a player and be back with 100 hp + 100 shield 2 seconds after.. but have a chance to be on the other side of the map.. maybe really shwitch on teleporter with one from the other team to make it more interesting?

An interesting proposition. I can see the advantage in that it would force players to walk a bit further and give the attacking team a bit more of leeway. However, I think the small size of the map may cancel that out.

Regardless, I would rather not give an attacking team more access to the other team's side. The intention of the portals is to help a team who is losing by allowing them to flank the bridge nodes or quickly get to the room nodes.

I had considered the possibility of a player jumping right back into the fray with the supershield after dying but I did not consider it a big deal because:
  • Most of the time players are spawned at the forward-most node and do not bother getting the keg and supershield at the core.
  • The supershield respawn timer is long enough to prevent abuse.
  • The nature of Stonewall makes it so spam is abundant and supershield can only help you so much.

Miauz55555 wrote:I moved in them from the site. If you want to really ensure than you need to build a cage arrount the teleporter. On Torlan-Invitation is something like that on the core-towers. "StaticMesh'AbaddonHardware.WallPanels.Wall25603bgrateAB'" DrawScale x0.6, y1.4, z1.0. But there is no need for that.

Did you move in from the side after taking the supershield? When it is not there, I think it would be more natural for players to go in diagonally. I understand what you mean though, it is not ideal and I wish you could force the direction to face a particular way, regardless of which direction you enter from, in the settings. I would rather not use the cage though since I think it would look out of place.

If it bothers players too much, I will consider a different solution. Right now I think people can manage the arduous task of turning their camera a little.

Here is the new update: ONS-Stonewall-VK-C-D3 Edit: ONS-Stonewall-VK-C-D4
Last edited by Dalyup! on Sun 14. May 2017, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: missing word

Miauz55555

ONS-Stonewall-VK-C

Postby Miauz55555 » Tue 23. May 2017, 19:04

I played the version one time. The jumppads are adding some nice flow to the map. But I'm not convinced with the teleporters.
Overall nice. Thanks Daly!

widurr

Postby widurr » Fri 26. May 2017, 10:37

Somehow, the map is not as fun as it was before :(

Return to “The Creative Corner”