My new map ONS-Sunrise-V1

Anything about UT2004 mapping, Uscripting & more
Sedoy

My new map ONS-Sunrise-V1

Postby Sedoy » Tue 5. Jul 2016, 21:39

Hello community CEONSS! Here's my new map. I have been making it for long time and finally finished it though i guess there is still a lot to do. I always wanted to create a big city map using textures and staticmeshes from UT3. I think I managed to make really a great and beautiful map.
some map features
-big opened map for 32 players (not less i think)
-There a lot of Textures and StaticMeshes from UT3
-used an unusual vehicles, but only uploaded on ceonss
-architecture of roads, parkings, etc similar to abandonedCity map
i would like to know your opinion and i hope you will give me some recommendations how to make my map better.
Thank you in advance
i hope you will like it!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgz84povqm37r ... e.rar?dl=0
Attachments
Shot00003.jpg
Shot00003.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 1493 times
Shot00004.jpg
Shot00004.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1493 times
Radar.jpg
Radar.jpg (646.87 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

Sedoy

Re: My new map ONS-Sunrise-V1

Postby Sedoy » Tue 5. Jul 2016, 21:41

more screenshots
Attachments
Shot00007.jpg
Shot00007.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1490 times
Shot00011.jpg
Shot00011.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1490 times
Shot00012.jpg
Shot00012.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1490 times

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Postby GLoups! » Wed 6. Jul 2016, 21:22

What a pretty little town Sedoy :D , just somes advices for visuals tweaks only :

-You can easily make that sky moving, only few minutes to make a TexRotator with the same material using by StaticMesh'BenTropicalSM01.SkySphere01' and put this new material in the first skin of the properties of the StaticMeshActor, you can even put two of theses "sky sphere" with differents DrawScales and at different rates.
Alternatively you can use a RockingSkyZoneInfo, very few maps use this because the setting are not very simple to adjust, you can find an example that work on CTF-FaceClassic, this can make the surfaces of the skybox rotate even StaticMeshes or if you have an emitter for the sun it will be move as well.

-There's no AmbientSounds on the map, somes birds, a little wind, or city ambients sounds can be fit well here, if you want somes new sounds there's somes frees ones here , if you have issues to import them or make them looping you can P.M.

-I wonder why the map is 60mb as there's not so much contents in mylevel, may be too many lights and antiportals, you can compress to dxt1:T_HU_Light_SM_FreeLight02_D and ScreenShot3 as they have no Alpha textures, you can win 1.5mb.

-Yours Antiportals : wiki.beyondunreal.com : "If multiple surfaces are flagged as anti portals, they will act as individual anti portals for occlusion. If you need a 3D shape, use an AntiPortalActor instead. However, anti portal surfaces have the advantage of "hiding" actors in network games, while AntiPortalActors don't. So in order to optimize network performance of a level, you should prefer using anti portal surfaces, unless there's already BSP around the area you want to place the anti portal.", in other words it's better for online play if you flag yours surfaces-BSP to anti-portals and let only somes of the anti-portals actors near the zones without bsp surfaces.
More, if you have to many of them (53) the result will be somes fps drops...
Lastly to join the last point above, you have somes cubes (type solid) with unlits surfaces (black) entirely cover by Static-meshs, they could serve as antiportals if you flag theirs surfaces, keep in mind than more actors in the map=more big files, you can change their type to semi-solid for better performances, unless you've substract them.

That's all for now, don't hesitate . :thumbup:

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Fri 8. Jul 2016, 11:46

Really nice Sedoy!

I like the textures and the neon signs. Also the node layout and everything looks nice. It's cool to drive with the Manta along and over the streets.

In the tunnel under the buildings are a fwe ways with "locked" doors. Maybe put a car/destroyed tank static mesh in front of the door so that you can see that you can't go through there?

FPS-drop: You talked about that and yes I have some.^^ Well when I use the Manta in first person it's fine.. some arround 100. In third person it's arround 60 as long I don't hit the lights. With the flyers I get a drop to .. ähm 18 on some edges.

It is posible to make les AntiPortals? Maybe smaler one but longer. Or is it bad when they go through StaticMeshes? Maybe Zone Portals insted the brushes in the Base and tunel? Maybe a bit less steet-lights? And maybe not so many litle lights when it makes the map smaler? Like half of the lights in the steet-lights for energy saving?^^ Distance-fog to an aceptable level so that it still looks so awesome but with a bit better FPS?

I found some SM where you can go through with a vehicle: There is also one in the big city building on the other side, you can fly into it and than land inside the building.

Just general to Screenshots or pictures on a website: It is better (faster to load the site) when the shots are not so big in filesize. I see you already compressed them into .jpg, but you can compress them a bit more maybe? When you want the high pixel thing in the pictures you could use a hoster like https://postimage.org/ and embedet them. It's free atm.
BTW: The big file size is also the reason why you can only pos 3 or 4 shots in one post. ;)
Attachments
Shot00194.jpg
Shot00194.jpg (85.32 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Shot00193.jpg
Shot00193.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Shot00192.jpg
Shot00192.jpg (193.04 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Shot00191.jpg
Shot00191.jpg (84.51 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Shot00190.jpg
Shot00190.jpg (113.55 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Shot00188.jpg
Shot00188.jpg (99.82 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Hyden
Description: Eastern Coast Canadian, gamer

Postby Hyden » Fri 8. Jul 2016, 15:16

Looks cool !

Hawk
Description: Fly like an eagle euh hawk :p

Postby Hawk » Sat 9. Jul 2016, 18:58

I Like the map too, hope it comes online soon :clap: :thumbup:
Hawk
Free as a bird

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 25. Jul 2016, 21:40

First of all, a huge thank you for taking the time to make this Sed. I don't know how many hours you spent on this, but it looks really nice and to have new content being made this late in our game's life is fantastic :yippiiieh:

The gameplay is good. A balanced selection of vehicles in well thought out locations which should produce competitive matches. The link setup is straight foward and spreads the play around the map, however, a radar map would be nice as it's a little confusing trying to get to the nodes. A handful of jumpads in selected locations would be nice such as from the docks onto the overpass (Urban) to give foot players some small advantage over vehicles and maybe even a couple of speed relics to make playing on foot credible.

A couple of other little things. The vehicles either side of the Aegis at the cores are too close together and when you try and enter one of the Hellbenders you end up jumping into the Aegis, could they be moved apart a little bit? Also there is already a map named Sunrise, maybe change this to ONS-Sunrise-Sedoy or something to avoid any chance of a conflict?

The two problems that are sadly stopping this from going on the server are - the size of the map and the fps performance.

Some small reduction in the map size could be made by loading the Hellhound, EONScorpion and Falcon vehicles from packages, but as Gloupy said, it seems that the reason for the size of the map is the number of lights. There's quite a few that could be removed such as the little lights under the street lights, lights by boxes etc

The performance issue i think is down to the anti-portals and huge number of static meshes. The anti-portals should be reduced down to 20 or less and mainly be the largest ones around the centre of the map. Also they could be better sized and positioned. For example, the anti-portals inside the tallest skyscrapers are quite narrow so they fit inside the top, but there's no need for them to be that tall because there's nothing behind them to hide. Instead, if you made them shorter you could make them wider at the bottom and allow them to hide much more at ground level.

The number of static meshes is huge (11326) compared to many other maps and are also very complex. VolcanoHigh 544, Alien 1500, Rail 2108. Many of them could be thinned out such as the street lights which could have half of them deleted, the number of pillars at the bottom of the skyscrapers could be reduced, the roads could be made twice as long and let you remove half of them, delete all the static meshes above the first floor of the buildings and use a simple bps cube with the same texture etc

You could use ZoneVisibility in the ZoneInfo actors to help manually optimise the map. Another idea would be to change the theme of the map to something like Blade Runner and allow you to add heavy fog to help performance while keeping some sense of style.

---

What i would recommend is uploading this to mapradar etc as an offline map for those with computers that can handle it and then edit this for online play.

Once again thank you for taking the time to make this great map. If you can improve the performance and reduce the map size i would love to see this on the server :thumbup:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Sedoy

Postby Sedoy » Tue 2. Aug 2016, 15:39

Here is a new version. I am not sure if it became much better but for now i don't want to change the style of the map
list of some changes:
- 470 StaticMeshes removed
- 1220 Lights removed
- 15 Anti-portals removed
- 17 BlockVolumes removed
- 60 RoadPathNodes, 2 PathNodes, 5 FlyingPathNodes removed
- Other little changes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgi2iuypwim3m ... 2.rar?dl=0

Replace all files after downloading

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 2. Aug 2016, 20:46

Thank you Sed, it seems that you are making good progress.

I don't think the file sizes are going to be a problem any more (Reducing UT3Textures3 down from 50Mb to 6Mb :thumbup: ) and it loads much, MUCH quicker now, so good work there. The remaining problem is just the performance.

If you don't want to change the style of the map then i can only see two options. Using the previously mentioned ZoneVisibility in the ZoneInfo actors and manually optimising or dividing the map into sections such as on Urban. In addition to either of those, there's a lot of stuff that could be removed or replaced by less complex static meshes. For example, all of the highlighted objects on the tall skyscraper could be removed and the top of the brick building at the back left could be replaced by a simple BSP. This will lower the quality of those buildings in your own eyes, but players don't notice things like that in-game. There's things such as those all across the map.

sedmapremovesm.png
sedmapremovesm.png (603.83 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

Looking foward to your next edit :yippiiieh:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Sedoy

Postby Sedoy » Tue 2. Aug 2016, 21:19

I expected that performance problems would stay but manually optimising or dividing the map into sections such as on Urban won't work out here. But I've got the other idea, I tryed to use a fog and change the style, change a color of lights and it looked not bad. When i finish i will post it

Return to “The Creative Corner”