ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C

Anything about UT2004 mapping, Uscripting & more
Cat1981England
Administrator

ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 28. Dec 2016, 22:18

I'm starting a new thread for this map because it's not an edit, but a complete rebuild of Aggressive-Alleys and quite a lot has changed. The main reason for a rebuild was that this map was originally made for ut2004 as a CTF map, then converted to VCTF and later ONS. It has also had many edits in between and was a bit of a mess, which is probably the reason why it had performance issues with large numbers of players.

The main changes are,

- New rooms over the two "open" nodes.
- Invisibility pickups in the two new rooms for players to be able to play more stealthy.
- Scaffold in the dark alleys to give people an extra way to the roof and counter the roof campers.
- EMPmines have been moved to the opposite building and you have to walk a tightrope to get to them, but you have more options about where you use it without jumping down.
- Better performance, both fps/network and smaller file size.

Miauz55555 wrote:ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C:
The wall textures looks like they are set to unlid. It's still a night map and should be lighted like one, not like a sunny beach map (sorry). The Alleys where are no lights are very dark (black). I know normaly you don't use the zonelight when you want proper lightning, but a litle bit as a kind of global light? Maybe a dark blue like (Brihtness Hue Saturation) (5 160 130). Sure all zones should have the same zonelight because otherwise it will give some weard looking static meshes arround zoneportals.
Additionaly change the lightcolour from all outsidelights also to something arround that values.. maybe reduce the lightradius from some to avoid strange circles.
For the indoorlights maybe something warmer like (x 32 130).
GLoups! wrote:Fully agrees, setting the Ambient brightness of Zone infos to 0 leads you to put lights everywhere, sure the map will be beautiful but it can bring somes serious fps drops even more with biggers lights radius because you are attracted to put highers radius and mores lights for avoid the darkest zones, for a good balance between pretty visuals and good performances no need to put high values but something like 5-15, it's a fairly common thing.
Lights types should be set to theirs defaults values (LT_Steady) for bests optimizations.
The better alternative to lights for all exteriors map are sunlights, a good example is Dria with four sunlights, a beautiful map with bests lightnings effects and sunlights if DM-CBP2-Achilles, you can even choose what they are going to illuminate by set the bSpecialLit value on both sunlights and matching static meshes, or terrain.
Sunlights can also be putting directly in the SkyZone, in this case it will giving a smooth effect of lightning, can be used for a beautiful moonshine night (see DM-ChronusGate-NIGHT-V2).
ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C:The wall textures are not set to unlit but they are not illuminated except by the residual of the big radius of lights , just try in the Top window of Unrealed : right click/actors/Radii View and select all lights, it's impressive, think that lightnings are calculate for each actors multiply by the number of lights radius that collides with them.
widurr wrote:For me definitely too bright. Looks... weird, unnatural, sterile. Changes look and feel of the map completely.
I don't like it at all, and it was one of my favorite maps :( If there's another vote, I would vote for the old version.

I completely agree with you all that it looks too bright, this is partly because my own screen is very bright and i have to try and compensate. I obviously when too far :D One of the issues with the old map was that it favoured Blues because it was too dark and Red players had trouble seeing them. The win rate for Blue was around 3/5 on the old map and i can't see any reason other then the lighting as the map was symmetrical in every other way. So increasing the brightness of the map should help stop that problem while the "dark alleys" should be dark enough for Red players to hide/sneak in.

Because i want the two small alleys to stay dark enough for Red players and the main area to be bright enough for them to see Blue players, no changes have been made to the Ambient lighting in the main area (the rooms still have their's) and i haven't added Sunlights. In addition to this i've removed one of the ledges so people can get their Badger on the roof more easily, placed blocking volumes around the bottom of the scaffold and adjusted virtually all the lighting so it is no longer "sterile" nor "lit up light christmas tree" :lol:

I'm gonna need to help with this people because i can't see what you can see. So please download and post feedback :thumbup:

ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Re: ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C

Postby GLoups! » Thu 29. Dec 2016, 13:54

I'm not an expert of these scripts garbages lines but i already had the impression (and read somewhere) that they could have a significant impact on the server performances, there are lot of more and differents ones from those above and not reported because there are suspicions that they could be related.
All theses ones, "bots can't reach Nodes 1,2,3,4" can be easily repair by adding the good NavigationPoint actor (Door) at the right place, and filled the tags arrays with their corresponding tags, triggers and movers.

Code: Select all

ScriptLog: START MATCH
ScriptLog: Slain had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot0 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PlayerStart79
ScriptLog: Harlin had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot2
ScriptLog: Brutalis had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot4 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PathNode209
ScriptLog: Slain had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot7 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PlayerStart77
ScriptLog: Harlin had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot9 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PathNode213
ScriptLog: Brutalis had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot11
ScriptLog: Bishop had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot8
ScriptLog: Corrosion had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot13
ScriptLog: Ambrosia had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot10 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.RoadPathNode15
ScriptLog: Brutalis had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot18
ScriptLog: Corrosion had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot20
ScriptLog: Azure had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot19
ScriptLog: Ambrosia had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot17
ScriptLog: Harlin had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot16 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.RoadPathNode16
ScriptLog: Bishop had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot15 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.JumpSpot12
ScriptLog: Slain had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot14
ScriptLog: Slain had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot21 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.RoadPathNode15
ScriptLog: Ambrosia had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot24
ScriptLog: Bishop had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot22
ScriptLog: Ambrosia had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot31
ScriptLog: Azure had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot33 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PathNode6
ScriptLog: Corrosion had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot34 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PlayerStart55
ScriptLog: Harlin had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot30 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot111
ScriptLog: Harlin had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot37 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PlayerStart106
ScriptLog: Azure had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot40
ScriptLog: Brutalis had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot39 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot111
ScriptLog: Bishop had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot36 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot111
ScriptLog: Slain had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot35 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot112
ScriptLog: Brutalis had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot46
ScriptLog: Harlin had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot44
ScriptLog: Ambrosia had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot45
ScriptLog: Azure had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot47 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PathNode144
ScriptLog: Slain had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot42
ScriptLog: Corrosion had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot48
ScriptLog: Bishop had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot43 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PathNode144
ScriptLog: Corrosion had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot69 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot112
ScriptLog: Azure had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot68 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot111
ScriptLog: Ambrosia had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot66 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot111
ScriptLog: Bishop had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot64
ScriptLog: Harlin had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot65 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot111
ScriptLog: Ambrosia had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot72 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.PathNode2
ScriptLog: Azure had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot74
ScriptLog: Corrosion had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot75 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot114
ScriptLog: Corrosion had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot81 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot114
ScriptLog: Brutalis had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot79
ScriptLog: Slain had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot76
ScriptLog: Ambrosia had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot84 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot113
ScriptLog: Brutalis had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot85
ScriptLog: Slain had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot82
ScriptLog: Azure had no path to ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.HoldSpot86 from ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34.InventorySpot114

Second point, the texture pack CityZtex seem to have their generateds MipMaps missings (like unchecking the corresponding box import in UED option, could be fix by export and reimport texture with default settings) that leads to somes weirds antialiasing artifacts that hurt the eyes, that's why i can't say precisely if the brightness is good, even if i think it's ok.

I put the example fix in the link below, i don't do anything else because i don't know if you have been working on the map since that time.

ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta34_1.rar

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 29. Dec 2016, 19:25

Thank you GL, i wondered what those little books were for :thumbup:

I've exported all the textures then imported into a new .utx file. I don't know how to check to see if textures have a MipMaps.

ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta35

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Thu 29. Dec 2016, 21:35

Looks much better. :thumbup:
Just a fwe things:
Sure all zones should have the same zonelight because otherwise it will give some weard looking static meshes arround zoneportals.

2 ways to fix that:
1 Add the same zonelight to all zones. 2. Force the zone visibly: Go to the ZoneInfoProp -> Events -> Tag (chouse one); Go to the StaticMechActorProp -> Display -> ForcedVisiblyZoneTag (Put your ZoneInfoTag in it)
That could also help when a SM is rendered in an other Zone than it belongs.. could happen when it is "inside" the wall or to close to a zoneportal.
Maybe:
LamppostLight more yellow than white (x 41 150); lower Radius from the lower lights (100?).
Lightcolour from the lights near the Scaffold (x 160 200).
LightRadius from the roomlights smaller.. also from the corridors (26?).
LightColour and Radius from the 2 lights above the sings at the cores.. just something.. don't know.^^
I would make the outside collour a litle more dark blue.. so more colour.. but just a litle.

Without ForcedVisiblyZoneTag:
Shot00250_12-29-2016_ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C.jpg
Shot00250_12-29-2016_ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C.jpg (49.77 KiB) Viewed 595 times

With:
Shot00251_12-29-2016_ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C.jpg
Shot00251_12-29-2016_ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 595 times

I think you can just make the brightnes from all Zones to 0 when you want the alleys dark. If you want some zone brightnes than chouse the collour from the lightning for it.
Maybe a Moon or an other Planet in the sky.
Maybe Groop the lightnings which should have the same colour and radius.. makes changes and playing arround easier and faster. ;)

GLoups!

Postby GLoups! » Thu 29. Dec 2016, 21:51

GLoups! wrote:
Second point, the texture pack CityZtex seem to have their generateds MipMaps missings (like unchecking the corresponding box import in UED option, could be fix by export and reimport texture with default settings) that leads to somes weirds antialiasing artifacts that hurt the eyes, that's why i can't say precisely if the brightness is good, even if i think it's ok.

Cat1981England wrote:
I've exported all the textures then imported into a new .utx file. I don't know how to check to see if textures have a MipMaps.
[/url]

Sorry for this inconvience cat, may be it's the sharpness of textures, no need to bothered with that, here's two examples zoom*2:

Sans titre 1.jpg
Sans titre 1.jpg (119.36 KiB) Viewed 594 times

Sans titre 2.jpg
Sans titre 2.jpg (108.29 KiB) Viewed 594 times

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 29. Dec 2016, 22:43

Thanks Miau, i couldn't work out why those sections of scaffold were lit up like that :thumbup: I'll try and make the changes you've said, so long as it doesn't affect Red team looking at Blue players.

@ Gloupy

Do you think it's because the textures are DX1 rather then RGBA8?

GLoups!

Postby GLoups! » Fri 30. Dec 2016, 11:17

Cat1981England wrote:...Do you think it's because the textures are DX1 rather then RGBA8?

I've transform them to RGBA8 with no changes, later i've change this wall texture with similars stock ones: the issues is always here but less pronounced that's why i've never noticed this before, after somes research i found this can be called scintillations artefacts and it's related to somes algorithms used by the graphics drivers in conjunction with the camera position, so i don't think it's fixable.

widurr

Postby widurr » Fri 30. Dec 2016, 17:48

Don't know what I'm doing wrong again, but again... I can't see the map in the game. Perhaps I'm missing some textures, sounds or whatever. Where can I download latest map pack?

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Fri 30. Dec 2016, 18:36

widurr wrote:Don't know what I'm doing wrong again, but again... I can't see the map in the game. Perhaps I'm missing some textures, sounds or whatever. Where can I download latest map pack?

Grap UTDeps from http://www.p-fat.net/. Select the map and it will tell you the missing files.. post back and someone will upload them for you to grap.

MapPack: Board index » CEONSS SERVER » CEONSS Public Server » The Map Roster First post on the bottom.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 1. Jan 2017, 18:39

ONS-Aggressive-Alleys-C-beta36

- Fixed Scaffold SM zone.
- Moved some zone-portals to the edge of the BSP's to stop zone lighting issues.
- Applied Miau's lighting suggestions.
- Placed DWlights over the burning barrels to give that area a 'back alley' type of feel.

-----------

I know this is more realistic and nicer on the eye, but i've got a horrible feeling that it's going to be too dark for some people, especially the ones that don't have player highlighting enabled.

Return to “The Creative Corner”