City-Z-C

Anything about UT2004 mapping, Uscripting & more
Cat1981England

City-Z-C

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 16. Feb 2017, 21:07

This map is meant to be a Tyrant style map with greater Z play. It requires part of a team to control the roof tops while the rest of the team push foward with the vehicles. The primary focus is around the two centre nodes and teams should try and make use of the Paladin to hold down one of those nodes while the Bender, Tank and Badger provide cover.

-------

It has been on for a couple of months now and we've had a chance to see how it plays, find any bugs etc and these are the changes suggested so far.

- Fixed the collision on the centre glass roofs.
- Adjusted the lighting so it's still bright enough not to give blue players an advantage but doesn't look so sterile.
- Removed extra sniper ammo from all lockers apart from the ones at cores.
- Moved the instagib pickups to two new rooms above the trees (jump through the window from the roof).
- Moved the translocator into the storage boxes near the top and bottom central nodes.
- Teleporters added to the old translocator rooms so people can get from one side of the map to the other quickly should an opportunity arise.
- Moved the super shield and health kegs from the roof tops to the vehicles around the centre of the map.
- Moved the cores to a slightly more hidden position.

ONS-City-Z-C-beta1a
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

City-Z-C

Postby Zon3r » Sat 18. Feb 2017, 20:22

The outer walls(the ones on the map edges) are rather destructive toward wheeled vehicles, running into them even at low speed or just rubbing into them deals massive dmg to the vehicle(see video below)
Tank takes no exceptional dmg but can easily get stuck
As for roofs, dm players are rather hard to kill up there, sniping from across the map, also a certain (dm)player had a lot of fun killing spawning players at base from this location, avril at vehicles lg/shock at those on foot, stayed there until ran out of ammo
video of the destructive walls(recording is bad for my pc's health, so the video is choppy)

ps, there is nothing that reminds me of tyrant on this map

Cat1981England

Re: City-Z-C

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 26. Feb 2017, 19:35

Thank you.

Collision damage is higher offline then on the server. This should be true for almost all maps unless the map is highly complex, there are lots of bots and/or a weak cpu. The outside walls actually don't collide with the players, there's a simple invisible blocking volume going around the edge of the map which is the same as most other maps. We could possibly get around it by adding push volumes (like on Grit), but i think that would look odd on a map like this.

I've placed slopping roofs on top of two buildings. This won't stop people camping up there, but it should stop those players being able to hide. There's also a minigun turret on top of the petrol station to help counter such players.

ONS-City-Z-C-beta2

I'll give it a couple of days. If no one as anything to add it will go on as-is on Wednesday.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Cat1981England

City-Z-C

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 2. Mar 2017, 20:54

ONS-City-Z-C-SP1

- Add zone portals to the two vents in the roof tops.

Now on the server.

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

City-Z-C

Postby Xac » Fri 14. Jul 2017, 21:50

I've played this map a couple of times now. It's got some interesting points, almost like a cross between Rail and Tyrant. ;)

The rooftop sniping from so far away from so many angles can be frustrating. Would it be an idea to have some flyers who can get up there to keep the sniper population down?

It seems that when one side starts to lose, it is very difficult for that team to make a comeback. But, at the same time, it's not easy for the winning side to push home their advantage and finish the game. So it can get bogged down, waiting for the game to time out.

Maybe the node connections can be tweaked? Maybe to bring the action more to the sides of the map.

I think the exposed side nodes (which are locked most of the time could do with some shielding to prevent long range spawn killing at locked nodes.

Keep up the good work :thumbup: :D
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

Cat1981England

City-Z-C

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 15. Jul 2017, 13:22

Thank you Xac :yippiiieh:

I'll take a look soon and post back.

widurr

Postby widurr » Wed 16. Aug 2017, 11:23

Xac made very good points. Sniping and badger camping is the primary reason I don't like and I don't play this map. It can be fun up to 5 players per team, where there are not many campers, cause the objectives would be unattended. Beyond this number this map is unplayable to me, since I prefer medium/close distance combat.
Adding some flyers and perhaps some obstacles in the line of sight between rooftops, so there's no single point from where you can attack pretty much whole area, would be beneficial. Players would have to move more around the map, to get good aiming position.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Fri 18. Aug 2017, 18:34

I think Wid and Xac have brought up very good points and suggestions.

I'm a bit undecided on the sniping being an issue because I see it a lot that the snipers on both teams end up battling each other all map long rather than picking off the people on the ground. So they seem to balance each other out. I have stopped sniping on this map for that reason. This effect could possibly be increased by placing some small boxes on the roofs to hide behind, which would draw out the duration of their duels and make it seem a bit more interesting.
Additionally, their field of view of the surrounding area could be limited by only allowing them to jump up onto a smaller building, not the highest one (field of vision would be blocked by the higher building to the side). Basically, moving the location of the jumppad that they are using to get to the roof. Trees with collisions on and random obstacles on the ground could also help (also against the badgers). As for the flyers, I think most would be picked off too quickly, so maybe a cicada or a fire cicada would be a good idea, which has more hp.

What I find a bit problematic about this map is the node layout. The secondary is right across from the base and if the enemy players take it, they often fire down at the base and spawnkill or destroy all the vehicles that are needed for a comeback. I'm wondering if it would be better to place the base inside a building (with hidden exits) or if the node layout could be tweaked to have that node as a primary instead of a secondary.

widurr

Postby widurr » Sat 19. Aug 2017, 13:39

If the jump pad is moved to the lower building, than anyone who can get a paladin or badger onto that highest rooftop will be at huge advantage, so make the walls vehicle unclimbable?

Return to “The Creative Corner”