MusicBox

Life, death, the weather and anything else
Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

MusicBox

Postby Pegasus » Thu 27. Dec 2018, 00:19

I think it was back in May or so when Heinz mentioned an album being for him the best in its genre for the year, somewhere 'round page 98 or 99 of this thread, IIRC. Now, something similar did immediately come to mind for me as a worthwhile response, but it was way too early to be determining genre champions, so I just came away from it with that mentality stuck in my mind for the rest of the year instead - thanks, Heinz :p.
Well, the century that historians will painfully refer to as "2018" is coming to a close - freakin' finally - and I'm still of the same opinion as back then about my own nomination: Leather Teeth by Carpenter Brut (whom I introduced in the HM2 OST spotlight post) is IMO head n' shoulders above the fray, and the year's best album in the synthwave/retrowave genre.

Very quickly, Carpenter Brut is a French bloke in his 30s (but also a band when rocking out live with an extra guitarist n' drummer during tours) who's been composing, mastering and releasing for most of this decade excellent synth-heavy music that aims for an 80s aesthetic/sensibility, but with the benefit of contemporary production values and audio quality.
After concluding a previous trilogy of works that arguably made him one a household synthwave act (assuming that's a thing), early this year he took the first step towards a new one, centered around the idea of a soundtrack for an imaginary american 80s action-thriller movie; think highschool cheerleaders, jocks, nerds, and a fledgling serial killer in the mix, that sorta thing. In that sense, Leather Teeth's tracks are the background to the first, more carefree act about the killer's origin story and "first steps," affording CB the freedom to occasionally stray from the pounding/menacing/somber tone many of his previous tracks had taken and to even experiment with lyrics in a few places.

Even with the dual caveats that his competent mastering has always pushed against the sub-peak bar (never crossing it), and that the 2 tracks with lyrics are the album's low point, IMO kinda inane and best skipped on repeat listens, this is arguably Carpenter Brut's best n' most varied work to date, and also an ideal introduction point to synthwave for any electronic genre fan not familiar with it. Give it a try, or at least Track 7 (Hairspray Hurricane) to see the kinda vibe it's rocking ;).

Split tracks on BandCamp for quick skipping below:

Whole album on a single YT vid here.

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

MusicBox

Postby laboRHEinz » Sat 5. Jan 2019, 08:10

EmanReleipS wrote:I really loved Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust" that you posted. :loveit: You did not exaggerate about her voice.

Then you might also like her North Country Blues:

Oohh I so love her songs!! Seen her live in concert last summer btw :D

Here's some of her first songs:

Miauz55555

MusicBox

Postby Miauz55555 » Thu 10. Jan 2019, 21:03

And now some other good music:
Iron Maiden- Phantom Of The Opera

And well, sadly we are still at that time.:
Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight

https://clock.thebulletin.org/
http://weltuntergangsuhr.com/

laboRHEinz
Administrator

MusicBox

Postby laboRHEinz » Thu 10. Jan 2019, 22:15

Miauz55555 wrote:Iron Maiden- Phantom Of The Opera

OH HELL YEAH! MAIDEN!!! One of my favorites, too!

Very varied songs, resourceful alternation of slow and fast tempi, masterful change of beats along with skilled drums, melodic and demanding guitars, big example for many other hard'n heavy combos - simply a great band!
And Phantom Of The Opera definitely is one of their best songs!

Funny snapshot:
Merkel-Macron-VS-Iron-Maiden-Airplanes.jpg

Merkel's and Macron's tiny government planes in front of Iron Maiden's mighty Boeing 747, the 'Ed Force One' :lol:
Kinda pictures the importance of music and politics :p

BTW Bruce Dickinson, the Iron Maiden singer flies their Ed Force One himself - he's a real Boeing 747 pilot :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

MusicBox

Postby EmanReleipS » Tue 15. Jan 2019, 20:43

laboRHEinz wrote:
EmanReleipS wrote:I really loved Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust" that you posted. :loveit: You did not exaggerate about her voice.

Then you might also like her North Country Blues:

That is so beautiful! :loveit: Makes me want to dust my guitar off...

-Nick-

MusicBox

Postby -Nick- » Thu 17. Jan 2019, 15:36

Maiden rule. Brave new world was the first album i ever brought with my first pocket money back in 2000.

A prober, prober band.

One of my favs, probably posted before.

laboRHEinz
Administrator

MusicBox

Postby laboRHEinz » Fri 18. Jan 2019, 00:05

MAIDEN! :yoman: !

Feaar of thee duuuck!

And the most famous 666! The number of da beast!

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

MusicBox

Postby EmanReleipS » Tue 29. Jan 2019, 22:05

I might have posted a song by this band before, but recently I discovered a new song that I really enjoy, unfortunately when listening to the last concert with all three singers. The band consists of one woman singing relatively high, one singing in a mid-range, and one in a really low voice (for a woman). Sadly, the woman with the really low voice has left the band. From what I heard, she is trying to apply for the trademark of the band's name, so I'm still hoping that they will get back together as an independent group.

I really enjoy the exotic sound of this song, as well as how much power they put into this performance. This live recording is also great because you can clearly hear each of the singers and how their voices interact with each other.

Kalafina - Serenato

-Nick-

Re: MusicBox

Postby -Nick- » Sun 3. Feb 2019, 02:33

Miauz55555

Re: MusicBox

Postby Miauz55555 » Tue 26. Feb 2019, 23:06

Stacy's Mom - Vintage 1930s Hot Jazz Fountains of Wayne Cover ft. Casey Abrams

Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood (Vintage Country Cover) ft. Kitty Hawk

Straight Up - Paula Abdul Vintage Jazz Cover ft Olivia, Sara, Vonzell, Anissa

Return to “Off Topic”