What's your pc rig?

Life, death, the weather and anything else
flatulat0r
Description: Health kegaholic

What's your pc rig?

Post by flatulat0r » Sat 3. Aug 2019, 17:09

As of July 2019...
*AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU.
*Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2400 16GB Dual Channel RAM.
*Gigabyte B450 DS3H motherboard (wanted ASUS motherboard but it wasn't bundled with the processor that I wanted :C ).
*Samsung 500GB EVO 860 3 bit MLC V-NAND SD drive (Samsung M.2 SD drive is in the future if this one fills up).
*XFX Radeon RX-580 video card with 8GB GDDR5 RAM.
*EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ 80+ Gold modular 750 watt PSU (I know it’s overkill but it actually cost less than the 550 and 650 watt model. Modular is nice because there's not a bunch of cables hanging around that you don’t need).
*Corsair Carbide 175R case (I don't like to spend a lot on a case).
*Super quiet, super reliable (IMO) Enermax case fans (orange fan hub). Still using the fans I bought 10 years ago. The fan hub pops out so you can re grease them.
*11 year old 20 inch Samsung LCD gaming monitor (when will this thing fail so I have an excuse to get a new one).
*Switched from DSL to FIOS. UT2004 ping dropped about 20 percent average.
*Windows 10 Home.
Didn’t have to tweak anything to make UT2004 run. And no, I don’t play any better. :thumbdown:
And most importantly, NO RGB !!!, Hyden.

joeblow
Description: male gamer

What's your pc rig?

Post by joeblow » Sun 3. Nov 2019, 20:26

Flat

I been following your PC set up and I still havent had the guts to put the RX 580 in my gaming XP rig. I dont know if it will fit and I know my power supply is really weak.

maybe we can all compare screen shots of various maps with the STAT FPS showing in the corner and do some comparos.

flatulat0r

What's your pc rig?

Post by flatulat0r » Tue 5. Nov 2019, 03:38

Joe,

ARGH. Copy/paste destroyed my Word formatting and it really bothers me. I hope you can still follow this post.

I have all UT settings maxed out, screen resolution is set to the monitor's native 1680x1050. UT stays capped at around 80+ fps with multiplayer. Single player looks to average about 105+. There is a line in the ini file that caps multiplayer refresh rate to 80 fps but it doesn't matter since my monitor is only 60 fps. We can certainly take some multiplayer comparison shots the next time I am online, which is usually Saturday and Sunday afternoon around 4PM CST.

You mentioned that you are running XP. I will make some assumptions and point out some problems.

1. Running XP? You probably won't be able to find a compatible driver for the RX580 and may not be able to take advantage of its full potential. Without a proper driver you may be stuck with low resolution and poor fps.

2. Is your processor old? It will bottleneck way before the video card will. If your processor does not max out during game play then you are ok and can enjoy a higher resolution, higher FPS and higher settings up until the processor hits 100 percent. Then you will want to lower resolution and/or settings until you balance processor and GPU utilization. Otherwise, you may experience stuttering. My old rig had an AMD Phenom, which had no issue running UT. The video card, Radeon HD 4850, was actually the bottleneck.

3. Low system memory? That's ok. Assuming XP is 32 bit, you are limited to about 3.5GB’ish of memory, which is enough. My old rig was Vista 32 bit with 3GB ram and it never maxed out ram.

4. Does your motherboard have a PCI express x16 slot? You will need one. Don't worry if its v2.0 or v3.0. That just indicates data throughput and should be reverse compatible.

5. Old, underpowered PSU? A couple of problems:
a. PSU is old, therefore the electrolytic capacitors in the PSU are old and may be drying out. Higher GPU load will likely introduce more voltage ripple which can cause issues.
b. Is PSU under powered? I believe the manufacturer recommends 500 watts to run the RX580. I believe the manufacturer covers their butt by over estimating. You can likely get by with slightly less but I wouldn't want to try. The PSU power efficiency curve likes to be between about 40-80 percent of max power. Going lower is ok. You just lose a bit of efficiency. But I personally would not want to push a PSU past 80 percent. There are PSU calculators online that might help you. See if power requirements of your current video card is comparable to the RX580. If you bought the PC built, manufacturers usually install junk PSU's that barely meet minimum power requirement. Check the PSU label.
c. Old motherboard? The electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard are likely drying out and will exacerbate any issues caused by an old worn out PSU when you introduce a heavier load. Do you see electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard that are swollen or leaking from the top or bottom? You would need a better PSU to compensate for those leaky capacitors, but I think it would be time to build a new rig at this point.

6. Does your PSU have the correct power connector for the GPU? or does it have enough power connectors into which you might be able to plug an adapter? Just be careful with power utilization.

7. Concerned your GPU won't fit? Try jamming it in there to find out. Just be aware of ESD (electrostatic discharge). Try to work on a non carpeted area like a table top, kitchen floor or bathroom floor. A little bit of humidity is your friend as it keeps ESD low. Your wife may look at you weird for working on your PC in the bathroom but that's ok. :lol: Make sure PC is unplugged. Touch the case to discharge yourself before handling the GPU. Don't touch the GPU connector pins and handle the GPU by the outer edges (I am overly cautious when it comes to ESD and electronics).

I don’t know your PC knowledge, so sorry if I scared you. Bottom line is that your PSU and the availability of a driver are the biggest concerns IMO. You will be ok if you get the minimum recommended PSU for that video card. Never skimp on a PSU. Get a decent brand name PSU that is 80+ rated and has all the connectors that you need. Don’t be too concerned with the Platinum, Gold, Bronze rating levels. That has more to do with efficiency. Just get a decent 80+ rated brand name PSU for 40 dollars and stay away from the 15 dollar ebay PSU of questionable origin.
Last edited by flatulat0r on Wed 6. Nov 2019, 04:37, edited 26 times in total.

flatulat0r

What's your pc rig?

Post by flatulat0r » Tue 5. Nov 2019, 03:51

Joe,
I just had a thought. My brain has terrible afterthought latency. I am usually home at 7PM CST on weekdays. There isn't anyone playing UT on CEONSS at that time. If you like, we can go in-game and get some screenshots to post for your comparison.

joeblow

What's your pc rig?

Post by joeblow » Tue 5. Nov 2019, 18:35

http://www.ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 580#p18572

I do have my frame rate uncapped as well. you may want to consider it or we should I guess have the same numbers.

I think with my old card I can get like 180 fps in alot of maps. But like Panalesh its always 50 and lower.

Im off thursday and friday this week, I work night shift otherwise all month.

flatulat0r

What's your pc rig?

Post by flatulat0r » Wed 6. Nov 2019, 04:35

Joe,

Assuming you have settings on high, 180 is excellent. 50 FPS isn't shabby. Your monitor is what, 60Hz, 120Hz? If it is 60Hz, you probably won't see the extra frames.

I set MaxClientFrameRate from 90 to 240 and did a quick test run with all UT settings maxed out at 1680x1050 native resolution.
Doubleslap:
Min FPS 100+
Max FPS 200+
Average 150's

I changed the netspeed values per the link you provided but I was getting glitching. So I set them back to default and the glitching went away. Since we are concerned with FPS only, I left max framerate set to 240 as you will be hard pressed to find a faster monitor. Recently a manufacturer made a 300Hz monitor but I doubt anybody on CEONSS has one. I don't even know if it is on the market yet. At what point is high framerate overkill? My guess would be that we reached that point at 144Hz.

I should be available Thursday after 7PM CST if you want to get a comparison screenshot of your worst FSP map.

joeblow

What's your pc rig?

Post by joeblow » Wed 6. Nov 2019, 11:14

I will adjust my settings and clear my social calendar but I dont think Ill be home before 7pm EST.

I found a pretty big jump in FPS going to NETSPEED 20000 from default.

joeblow

What's your pc rig?

Post by joeblow » Thu 7. Nov 2019, 23:27

I can not find all the specs to my computer but here goes.

AMD Quadcore
AMD 4650 the fan went bad for probably months before I noticed it was over heating. New fan but this cards history.
Win XP.
Samsung SyncMaster B2330

News stuff as yet to be installed:

Radeon RX580 still scared to install it.its PCIx16 but not sure if it will fit and my power supply is small.

Viewsonic XG2530, I use this with my Win 10 laptop and its pretty damn sweet.

Laptop, AKA the Dragon, is MSI GE72MVR 7RG its has a GTX 1070 i7 7700. the screen is 120hz also.

flatulat0r

What's your pc rig?

Post by flatulat0r » Fri 8. Nov 2019, 02:07

AMD quad core? Probably a Phenom. If you upgrade to the RX580, the Phenom will be a major bottleneck to the vidoe card's full potential. But it doesn't matter with UT2004.

Your Samsung monitor, going by vertical and horizontal sync, around 60-75 Hz. No reason to set refresh rate much faster than your monitor.

AMD Radeon HD 4650? Power draw is about 48 watt.s Recommended PSU is 350 watts.

The benchmark of the RX 580 is about 1800 percent better than the Radeon HD 4650.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/A ... 7844vs3923
Recommended PSU for the RX580 is 500 watts.

I would bet that your PSU is less than 500 watts. You need to check the sticker on the PSU for wattage. Even if it is sufficient, consider the age of the PSU.

I see two potential issues:
1. Your PSU might not be sufficient.
2. You probably won't be able to find a driver that will work with XP. Game play would probably be pretty bad without a proper driver. An upgrade to a more modern version of windows might be required.

Might be time for a new build. It doesn't take much to run UT.

Miauz55555

What's your pc rig?

Post by Miauz55555 » Fri 8. Nov 2019, 19:02

One way to find out what CPU and RAM you have installed is to use CPU-Z:
https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.90-en.exe