All things Japanese

Life, death, the weather and anything else
Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

All things Japanese

Postby Xac » Fri 3. Jan 2014, 11:41

Ok Pegasus...had a look, can't see someone has done a thread already on this one! Correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Anyway...there seems to be quite a bit of interest in Japan, language and culture from the users of the forum and sometimes other people's threads have gone off their original topics to talk about it. So I thought we could have a dedicated one here ;)

I'm not an expert in Japanese, but spent several years living there, so picked up a few bits and pieces...but there are others on the forum who know a lot more if you need more info.

To kick things off I thought I'd help everyone learn their first few kanji. Not all kanji are complicated, some are just a few simple strokes. So here are the numbers 1 to 5, which are the same in Chinese, but with different pronunciations, (obviously).

kanji 1 to 5.jpg
Kanji 1 to 5
kanji 1 to 5.jpg (28.14 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

Xac

Re: All things Japanese

Postby Xac » Fri 3. Jan 2014, 11:46

Ok, after that, I'm sure you're all dying to know what 6 to 10 are, so here you go! :lol:

kanji 6 to 10.jpg
kanji 6 to 10
kanji 6 to 10.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 2910 times

EmanReleipS
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Sat 4. Jan 2014, 17:07

This thread is a great idea, Xac! Khoma's thread was getting especially bad - I'm sorry for hijacking it!

Anything in particular anyone wants to know?

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Sat 4. Jan 2014, 17:14

/me scratches head..

"8" - "Gesundheit!"

Ahem. :P

/me leaves again

EmanReleipS
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Sat 4. Jan 2014, 17:20

Wormbo wrote:/me scratches head..

"8" - "Gesundheit!"

/me leaves again

/me laughs

Xac

Postby Xac » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 11:30

EmanReleipS wrote:
Wormbo wrote:/me scratches head..

"8" - "Gesundheit!"

/me leaves again

/me laughs

Ahhh I get it now! :lol: (after it was explained to me, Doh!, I'm slow)...Still not as funny as itchi though, especially when it's also used as a name :D

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 17:51

Hmmm nice topic. I've always wanted to learn the Japanese language, because I really like the culture of Japan. :)

qòóp
Description: Holy sh*t! I'm alive!

Postby qòóp » Thu 9. Jan 2014, 14:46

I've heard that there are clubs in Japan where Westeners can't get in because they would scoop all the girls from the local guys. Selbstverstandlich I find this very interesting :angel:, has anyone heard anything about this?

Xac

Postby Xac » Thu 9. Jan 2014, 17:48

qòóp wrote:I've heard that there are clubs in Japan where Westeners can't get in because they would scoop all the girls from the local guys. Selbstverstandlich I find this very interesting :angel:, has anyone heard anything about this?

I don't know for sure, I'm not someone who usually goes to clubs and certainly not someone who cruises for girls. What you say would not surprise me though. When I was there I was told 5% of all marriages in Japan are between Japanese girls and foreign men, which is quite a high percentage.

But...I did have some western friends who would go down to Roppongi (one of the major nightclub "entertainment" districts in Tokyo) and have no trouble picking up Japanese girls and taking them to what is called a "love hotel" where you can pay by the hour... :shock:

Western men are often seen by Japanese girls as a better prospect than Japanese men and you will often see these girls in western bars looking for victims :D ...I spent a while there dodging their claws. ;)

Foreigners are tolerated in Japan, but only as for as long as they are useful. Guess who will always get the blame first if there is a problem? I remember in Otaru in the north of Japan, all foreigners were banned from going into the onsen (hot spa) because they said too many Russian sailors would go there straight off the ships and not wash properly before going into the spa.

Also, they don't like tattoos, so you have to cover them up before you go into the onsen, or they won't let you in.

In most large towns and cities, most nightclubs, bars etc are gathered into one or more "entertainment" district(s) which will cater for all sorts of, well..."entertainment" tastes. There will be a man in a dark suit outside each establishment (probably Yakusa - the local mafia) watching over pretty girls giving out leaflets trying to pull in people from the street...and there will be many of them down each street.

You might be interested in reading Murakami's novel "In the Miso Soup"...it goes into the seedy side of Tokyo nightlife, but don't read it if you are of a nervous disposition as it is a horror story and quite graphic.

qòóp
Description: Holy sh*t! I'm alive!

Postby qòóp » Sun 12. Jan 2014, 20:30

Thanks for the info xac! I must say Japan is turning out to be quite different than what I thought growing up. Especially the xenophobia you're describing is disappointing.

I think Japan serves as an example as to how the more rigid a system is, the more extreme it's excesses will become.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Japan. It's just about the only first world country that doesn't have a western culture and I find that very intresting. Yeay there are some others very well on their way but not as long as Japan has. Also they have an extremely awesome car culture and as a car guy that counts for alot.

Return to “Off Topic”