SSD partition-alignment

Life, death, the weather and anything else
RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Re: SSD partition-alignment

Postby RottenToTheCore » Tue 4. Nov 2014, 14:37

Nah,

don't think so. The SSD won't help me to aim ;).

Droopy_Bollocks
Description: Mute old man

Postby Droopy_Bollocks » Tue 4. Nov 2014, 14:39

lmao, you don't need any help in that direction matey, you've always been a major pain to hit!
Don't bother asking - I won't answer.

I'm not ignorant, just finding being quiet stops me getting a bollocking ;-)

RottenToTheCore

Postby RottenToTheCore » Tue 4. Nov 2014, 18:10

Okay, in other words; an SSD won't make UT perform faster after the map was loaded and the game started :)

Droopy_Bollocks

Postby Droopy_Bollocks » Tue 4. Nov 2014, 21:20

RottenToTheCore wrote:Okay, in other words; an SSD won't make UT perform faster after the map was loaded and the game started :)

Well it will make small differences because of the performance of the page file and directx calling procedures within Windows itself, on a single core game like UT there won't be much difference (unless of course you've altered the core affinity to UT to utilise a single core of course)

always a good idea to run a directx update , they do keep tweaking the memory usage in the latest version even though UT doesn't use any of the latest sections of it.

DB

RottenToTheCore

Postby RottenToTheCore » Mon 1. Dec 2014, 17:55

Hi there,

i am a silent pc freak. Whenever i build a pc, my goal was to have a build which brings a whiff of understatement into my room, which has a good performance per euro and which - in particular - is nearly unaudible.

I did so, but since one week i again have a fucking humming noise. My first suspect was my datagrave-HDD which indeed turned out to be the guilty one :wtf: .

I changed the position of HDD and SSD back, to put it back into the condition it had before i built in the SDD.

But physics and acoustics in combination with my hard drive say "SDD uses some cm³ of your case, so i will hum now, wherever i am built in, fuck you, that's why."

My question now, especially to droops: Is it really too much work for a SDD to handle the write amount of modern games? If not i would just buy a second SSD with 512 GB (perhaps a samsung eco) for my datagrave and for my games. Then there would be silence forever :smartass: , as my fans are really fuckin silent.

Greets from Rotten

Steinein

Postby Steinein » Tue 2. Dec 2014, 21:31

I most probably don't know as much about SSD's as Droopy does, however, I know the newer generation of SSD's don't wear out nearly as fast as the old ones.
Alot of the rumours on how fast your SSD can die because of too frequent usage, are based on the older SSD's.

Ofcourse, if you want to maximise your SSD life span, only put your OS on it.
But choose for yourself if you want to make full use of your SSD (with the potential that it might break down earlier, but some things running smoother) or maximise your SSD life span.
It can improve game preformance, in particular the ones that have to load big maps (think of GTA and RPG games).

I myself put pretty much every game I frequently play on my SSD and use my HDD's for storage of files, downloads, pictures, music and videos.

-Nick-

Postby -Nick- » Wed 3. Dec 2014, 13:53

RottenToTheCore wrote:Hi there,

i am a silent pc freak. Whenever i build a pc, my goal was to have a build which brings a whiff of understatement into my room, which has a good performance per euro and which - in particular - is nearly unaudible.

I did so, but since one week i again have a fucking humming noise. My first suspect was my datagrave-HDD which indeed turned out to be the guilty one :wtf: .

I changed the position of HDD and SSD back, to put it back into the condition it had before i built in the SDD.

But physics and acoustics in combination with my hard drive say "SDD uses some cm³ of your case, so i will hum now, wherever i am built in, fuck you, that's why."

My question now, especially to droops: Is it really too much work for a SDD to handle the write amount of modern games? If not i would just buy a second SSD with 512 GB (perhaps a samsung eco) for my datagrave and for my games. Then there would be silence forever :smartass: , as my fans are really fuckin silent.

Greets from Rotten

I can't justify spending extra money on another SSD just lower the noise output of your PC. If your HDD is the main culprit then you can buy something like a sound proof enclosure for your HDD, or buy sound proof material and do it yourself. If you go down that route then make sure you buy material that is designed for use in a PC, e.g, non- flammable, and is suited for use around warm components :lol: . Personally, i wouldn't go through all of that, but i'm normally listening to music so the noise from my PC doesn't bother me :lol:

Google sound proofing a PC or HDD, sure there's loads of articles for your needs. You could pop down your local computer shop and see what they advice.

I'm no computer whiz, just thinking outside the box here :thumbup:

RottenToTheCore

Postby RottenToTheCore » Wed 3. Dec 2014, 17:32

Hm... i tried this way sooo often. Enclosures eliminated nearly 100% of all HDD-access-noises. But never the vibrations of the hdd/case. Also did i try every kind of hdd-mounting-rubber-grommets.

Perhaps i am a little noise-sensitive. I like my music loud, and i am no quiet person - but i ****ing hate humming, hissing and whining of all kind :wtf: .

I already got a Define R4 which is really heavy and sound-insulated by factory. Didn't help.

Droopy_Bollocks

Postby Droopy_Bollocks » Sat 20. Dec 2014, 14:49

RottenToTheCore wrote:Hm... i tried this way sooo often. Enclosures eliminated nearly 100% of all HDD-access-noises. But never the vibrations of the hdd/case. Also did i try every kind of hdd-mounting-rubber-grommets.

Perhaps i am a little noise-sensitive. I like my music loud, and i am no quiet person - but i ****ing hate humming, hissing and whining of all kind :wtf: .

I already got a Define R4 which is really heavy and sound-insulated by factory. Didn't help.

Hey Rotts,

to answer a couple of your questions (sorry been crazy busy over the last couple of weeks) ok even the latest SSD's will wear out far quicker (100's of times) than a HDD, even the self-trimming low voltage types but if you're not worried about it then ok. The down side it happens instantly and recovery is in many situations impossible, sometime it becomes a multiple sector cascade failure other times the controller simply dies and that's it - data gone and noone outside of a real pro data forensic can even start to recover because of the integration of the controller and memory on board (of course HDD's have separate controllers)

As for the sound dampening, traditional methods of insulation are pointless because the noise of the HDD access is amplified by frame resonance and coherence in the actual HDD body thus making the frequencies difficult to mask.

The only person I know to have built a inaudible PC using HDD's encased his drives in cold gel packs which are quite good for heat dissipation as well being viscous enough to diffuse the HDD noise. Other things to do are not to mount the HDD in the normal areas of the case because again frame resonance occurs throughout the case no matter what type of mounting blocks you use. Floating mounts can be made but it takes work to get them right and of course that still has to be done in conjunction with dampeners across the whole surface area of the HDD.

The ideal solution is to use a pair of SDD's in a striped RAID array for speed and reduction of over accessing and use a slow laptop HDD for vital data - 5400rpm drives are good for data storage for non speed-critical things and don't make very much audible noise.

Even after that then you're into PSU and cooling fan noise but of course that can be dealt with by liquid cooling and using large radiators and large slower fans (<900rpm) to reduce noise to a minimum and speed reducers on the PSU fans.

DB

Ryder

Postby Ryder » Sun 28. Aug 2016, 01:23

Hey :)

I currently have:
2x 120GB SSD's from 2009 and 2010
3x 1TB HDD's from 2006, 2008 and 2010
1x 500GB HDD from 2006 (it's slow and nearly dead, health checks say bad/caution)

I have no idea how much more life the drives have left... but I am looking to get at least 1 new SSD, to replace my main drive (one of the ssds) and then I'll put that ssd into a different pc, If I get a 250GB+ SSD then I can replace both and put both of the ssds into other systems.

If need be, I'll replace some of the HDD's. I know the 500GB HDD is nearly dead and I only use that for a folder for new downloads to go into so it's not that bad really, for a full list of their life/health see: http://i.imgur.com/om7WMzY.png

Any advice on what SDD's and or hard drives I should get? I had a look around and thought the samsung evo 850's look decent all around.

Return to “Off Topic”