Ran out of virtual memory crashes

UT2004 related discussions
Lightning_Hunter

Ran out of virtual memory crashes

Postby Lightning_Hunter » Mon 23. Nov 2015, 08:38

This is strange. I have been happily editing all kinds of maps in UED for weeks now without issues, when all of a sudden, I get constant crashes when I try to save a map or launch a map within the editor. The error says,

"Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk."

I have a 1TB Hard Drive with 511GB of free space! I also have 8GB of RAM, and a Geforce GTX 550 Ti with 4GB of RAM. I checked the paging file, and it is currently 20,382 MB on two hard drives - which is more than enough (I haven't seen the system use more than 4,000 MB of this). So what the heck is going on? Does anyone have any solutions?

Cat1981England
Administrator

Re: Ran out of virtual memory crashes

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 23. Nov 2015, 19:25

TBH it could be one of many things, a hardware issue, OS update, corrupt file etc

Is this happening with a single map or all of them? Also could you post the crash log?
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Postby Dalyup! » Tue 24. Nov 2015, 00:46

It's probably a misleading error if you know your virtual memory is fine. Check the crash log to see if there's a stack trace, probably tell you more what's going on. If it's only happening with one map, have you perhaps gone overboard with a particular mesh/texture or something like that?

Otherwise, guess you'll need to try the ol' On-and-Off version 2 (reinstall).

Lightning_Hunter

Postby Lightning_Hunter » Tue 24. Nov 2015, 07:57

I think I figured it out. I deleted unrealed.ini today and let the game generate a new one. Magically, everything has worked fine so far. I know it wasn't the maps, because just about every map I tried saving/playing was crashing the editor. Weird...

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Wed 25. Nov 2015, 18:35

The crash message just points out a symptom, not the actual reason. Usually an out-of-memory crash is the result of an attempted memory allocation for which a ridiculous requested size was specified. That invalid size is almost always a result of some kind of unhandled program or data error.

Lightning_Hunter

Postby Lightning_Hunter » Wed 25. Nov 2015, 20:36

Well, I still haven't received the error since I deleted unrealed.ini, so I guess the problem was in there somehow. If anyone else finds this thread with the same issue, try doing what I did.

Return to “General”