Video: MagisFunmap

UT2004 related discussions
aximon

Post by aximon » Sat 20. Aug 2011, 21:29

A video for the map MagisFunmap-V1. Just in case you ever feel like playing VCTF :)

http://youtu.be/2tr4ivvmkbc

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: Video: MagisFunmap

Post by Pegasus » Sat 20. Aug 2011, 23:41

That's some nice trickjumping there, axi. I've played very little VCTF in my time, but I have dabbled a bit in several kinds of boost jumping (shield, bio, avril) and have also played a couple o' matches at MagisFunmap so I could follow your flow most of the time. Consistent and useful all around (tricking as part of an overall plan, not just aimlessly bouncing about for the sake of tricking, is what I mean), so kudos there :). Only part of the vid where I kinda doubted whether what was going on could actually be pulled off or if there was some very localized low-g volume that I wasn't aware of (could very well be with this map; I didn't even know about the deemer room nor the invisi pickups, so yeah... >_>) was at the long vault away from the flag plate around 01:38 towards the blue lift, but upon replaying it, I made out the "Speed!" audio announcement, so it all made sense. Umm, let's see, what else? The triple shield bumped lift boost later on was quite nifty too as well as the combo showing off ^^. Woulda liked to be able to see your health/shield stats though just so viewers can get an overall idea of what the various parts of these strats can cost you and whether you could "afford" 'em during a flag run depending on your previous states. No other audio/video issues to cover here, so all in all short but fun. Keep 'em coming!

PS: Liked the serene soundtrack too, fit the mood of the clip.
PPS: You got any ONS specific vids coming up or in your YT acct (quick glance through showed an almost exclusive focus on pro matchups/coverage and such)?

aximon

Post by aximon » Sun 21. Aug 2011, 09:22

Thanks for checking it out. You pretty much summed up my own thoughts in your review. Not much to add there. I only turned off the HUD for aesthetic reasons. The music track is from another game of the Unreal series.

I already thought about making an ONS related video, but I don’t have the right footage for such a project. The quality of the demos recorded on public servers is just too bad and there are rarely clans playing official games. Vehicle stunts might be an option.

lilalurl

Post by lilalurl » Sun 21. Aug 2011, 11:36

aximon wrote: The music track is from another game of the Unreal series
Nether animal from UT99:

aximon

Post by aximon » Sun 21. Aug 2011, 13:47

Ooooh, you is like super detective, lilalurl ;) Yes, that's the one. I rearranged it a little bit, though.

lilalurl

Post by lilalurl » Sun 21. Aug 2011, 20:08

More like someone who has played UT99 and remember the music tracks. I must admit I had to go through the directory where I have the tracks in .IT format to check because I did not remember the name of this specific track.

Pegasus

Post by Pegasus » Sun 21. Aug 2011, 22:27

The sad truth about ONS footage is that it rarely makes for an entertaining spectacle, at least as far as the typical performance gaming video standards go (frag vids, stunt vids, trick vids, etc.). In terms of vecs, aside from a few manta boosting/tricking techniques I can think of (getting atop Torlan's middle tower alone & with only map-available weaps, for example, or getting to unusually high places in ONS-Tyrant or MasterBath), there's not much else to show really; hell, not even the stunt mutator manages to add the all-important skill dimension that needs to exist in order for more nuanced (and useful) strats and methods to emerge. Sure, you can get wheeled vecs to climb steep/vertical inclines, but so what? That's hardly worth capping.
Still, there yet the prospect of on-foot jump boosting to explore within several (mostly indoor) ONS maps and that's where such hypothetical vids could focus. Not to mention that once avril boosting comes into the mix, the visual entertainment and tactical potential of some unusual strats could become very suitable for sharing with others. I know this first hand because I've spent quite a while researching exactly those possibilities in maps like Masterbath and Tyrant and, trust me, if avril boosting were to be implemented online, some of those could make a big difference in a skilled player's life expectancy during enemy base incursions and such.

aximon

Post by aximon » Sun 21. Aug 2011, 22:59

Pegasus wrote:if avril boosting were to be implemented online.
On some maps it's gonna be fun for sure.

I can't tell if anyone tested this over an extended period of time:
http://www.vehiclemasters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2027

Pegasus

Post by Pegasus » Mon 22. Aug 2011, 00:32

I've known about the stroke of brilliance that is AvrilBoost since the day it went live and about a month ago I tried fusing its code with the latest ONSPlus version I'd gotten straight from Shambler's site, but I couldn't get past several compile errors that had nothing to do with AvrilBoost, so I've shelved that for now till I can get some more info on that. Cached ONSPlus versions never contain any code when decompiled which further cements my belief that Wormbo (or whoever it was that revealed it) did the world a big disservice letting everyone know how to abuse the ucc compile bug that obfuscates the source code.
I mean, what kinda messed up ideology prompts someone to hide their (already derivative) code from future hopeful contributors in the same creative community when it's not even security-sensitive to begin with? And for what? Just so anyone who'd like to do any kind of (un)official testing would have to be face-checked by them first? How egotistical can you get? No, I'm sorry, I don't feel like climbing proverbial mountaintops and hunting years long inactive community members through msg board PMs (after I first register), emails or any other comm channels to get their approval and true source code just for some in-house alpha testing that could very well lead to nowhere, none of it is anyone else's business before the time is right. If I was running any major server or UTAN, no kinda code (bar security-sensitive parts of course) would be allowed to run on said server(s) if it didn't pass a simple decompile test no matter the profile or standing of the person submitting it. You don't like open code communities, bub, go work for Microsoft. Meh, I better end this rant now before I say something really offensive about some ppl...

Anyway, I totally hear you on getting AvrilBoost up and running on CEONSS, and, as far as I know, heinz seems to be behind this idea as well, so let's wait n' see. I don't know that any other ONS servers have implemented it so far, but my server hopping habits aren't that far-reaching anyway, so I could be wrong.