reverse SETRES console command...?

UT2004 related discussions
]M[
Description: laggy but not too shabby^

Post by ]M[ »

Does anyone know how to reverse the console SETRES command - ok easy enough, just run it again, ikr - but: can it be done *without* the UT application active? ;)
ie: where does UT2004 store its startup viewport settings?

The problem: have been running UT2K in 4K the last couple of years, recently needed to move the 4K-capable RX580 GPU to a new machine... booted up with the original HD5870, to find that UT crashes on launch :(

UT2004.log file error I get is:

Code: Select all

Log: Enter SetRes: 3840x2160 Fullscreen 1
Log: OpenGL
Critical: Couldn't set video mode: No video mode large enough for 3840x2160
...after this the application just exits - understandably, as the old GPU can't handle 4K ;p

I've tried editing the UT2004.ini files once again - however, they were still set to 1080p, as before (setting to 3840x2160 doesn't work - SETRES must be used to set 4K resolution in-game)
Then tried replacing 1920x1080 Viewport settings with 1680x1050 (UT's default in app settings max resolution)
...and no joy - still the same result - still no UT... :C

It seems that the SETRES console command I had used before is still run on launch each time (according to the log), overriding the .ini file Viewport settings :wtf:

Can any of our wise UT2004 guru's help? ...any advice much appreciated! :)
Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Post by Pegasus »

]M[ wrote:[...]It seems that the SETRES console command I had used before is still run on launch each time (according to the log), overriding the .ini file Viewport settings :wtf:[...]
Are you launching the game through some customized shortcut, batch script or GPU-related management tool, where specific resolution settings for the game were set, that you've perhaps forgotten about?

Barring that, you can always rescan your ut2004.ini for any "viewport" reference just to make sure you weren't editing a pair not applicable to your actual rendering device, and there's always the last-ditch diagnostic resort of setting your customized ut2004.ini aside completely and letting the game create a new one from its default.ini template just to exclude the persistent resolution settings being owed to custom .ini settings.
Eyes in the skies.
]M[
Description: laggy but not too shabby^

Post by ]M[ »

Hey there Pegasus, many thanks for the reply - have managed to sort out this conundrum! :)

Re: your message - launch is quite straightforward - typically from dock alias (ie: a bit like TaskBar shortcut) in macOS 10.13, though directly launching the UT2004 application package produces exactly the same result.

My ut2004.ini has long been edited for 1080p with all six Viewport references (menu, fullscreen, windowed) set to 1920x1080p.
I found that changing these to 3840x2160 before didn't switch to UHD/"4K" successfully on launch, even with 4K-capable card & display - it requires <SetRes 3840x2160> in console in-game - which works great! ...thus I had reverted to my 1080p version ut2004.ini file from before, to be on the safe side.

Tbh, I find it a bit odd that UT doesn't just revert to these ini file settings, or maximum GPU resolution available (really was hoping for 2560x1440 - max on the HD5870) instead of just quitting as 4K is beyond the card's capabilities. (Also could kick myself for not thinking about this before - but was all busy setting up my new machine, a Windows10-default PC & a first for me, with many new details - it's using the old 5,1 Mac Pro's upgraded RX580, while the Mac is reverted to the original 2010 era HD5870) So I had been wondering where to find the preference or other file that is apparently, according to log, running <SetRes 3840x2160> on startup, and just edit that to 1920x1080.

Many thanks for the tip, though! I did try removing the ut2004.ini file from the application bundle, but though it didn't succeed in fixing launch, it jogged my memory to investigate the other ut2004.ini which the macOS UT2004 version stores in the user library/Application Support directory - and there find another set of 6 Viewport settings which I edited to 1080p res...

...and voila! it works!! it's alive again! :yupi:
joeblow
Description: male gamer

Post by joeblow »

+1 for Open Gl...AKA No fog