[ Video ] Tutorial: Dodge-Shield-Gun-Jump (for Beginner :)

UT2004 related discussions
aximon

Postby aximon » Wed 28. Dec 2011, 19:47

Here is my attempt at explaining the always handy dodge-shield-gun-jump in 91 seconds.

http://youtu.be/h39VlYXRo5E

7homasito
Description: Cover your heads!

Re: [ Video ] Tutorial: Dodge-Shield-Gun-Jump (for Beginner :)

Postby 7homasito » Wed 28. Dec 2011, 20:21

nice vid axi! never seen anyone using text-to-speech with a sexy computer voice instead ruining it by doing the audio-comment by themselves, props for that :D

now you should make another one that includes the bio-jump and avril-boost-jump (which I still can't really do tbh ^^) and that should help alotta guys to improve their movement and tricking :)

keep up the good work! you are on of the few german paragons here!

happy holidays
7/~ Image

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Wed 28. Dec 2011, 20:59

There's something wrong about the Microsoft female voice (at least I think that's the one used here) lecturing ppl on proper SDJ methodology, but I just can't put my finger on it :). Either way, informative (for teh n00bz! :p) and with the customary high production values we've come to expect from you, so gj once more, axi. I also gotta say, if this more educational styling of your latest vids persists for a while, it'll be quite tempting for me to hit you up for help illustrating some other, more ONS-relevant techniques I've been planning to cover in a general UT2004 multipost thread guide I'd been slowly drafting since earlier this year - you know, if you're interested that is. Anyway, getting off topic here; once again, good video (I like the treated pic accompanying the link here too).

Btw, it bears noting that a full[y charged] shield jump will cost you 55hp, so plan your routes accordingly if your strat for reaching some node/flag in the fashionably inventive way you've envisioned involves two or more of those. Edit: while we're at it, the minimum penalty for a shield hop is 20hp, but with a double bio blob and proper patience (read, shield), you can reach higher/farther at no health cost </edit>. Also, test your theories out offline a lot so you'll know exactly what the minimum required shield charge is to get up on different ledges and under their specific gravity. The way of UT is, to the fastest go the spoils!

PS:
7homasito wrote:[...]now you should make another one that includes the bio-jump and avril-boost-jump[...]
Just an FYI here: Avril boosting doesn't work online since the kickback part of the code doesn't trigger in a server-client enviro. The {V}{M}s do have a mutator out that re-enables it (is it running on their server now too? haven't checked in months), but it's not whitelisted by Epic and ONS servers that would care to run it would likely have to incorporate it in another, approved mutator like ONSPlus. This, I have tried in the past and have been met with failure in achieving (so far). So, yeah, bio and shield jumps for now.

aximon

Postby aximon » Fri 30. Dec 2011, 11:11

@7homasito Thanks. Yes, I thought the audience would definitely appreciate hearing a lady doing the commentary.
Pegasus is right about the avril-jump. Nova coded a mutator and uploaded a video demonstration.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gW_tEZRaS0[/video]
@Pegasus Glad you like. Yes, you should always keep an eye on your Health bar and plan your escape route accordingly.

borgqueenx
Description: Ut2004 player

Postby borgqueenx » Thu 5. Jan 2012, 21:36

good video. i consider myself a pro, but never got able to get how someone shield jumps.
Not really important for me as a ons and assault player, but either way good to know how players managed to do this!

aximon

Postby aximon » Fri 6. Jan 2012, 16:27

Thank you. All these shield gun techniques are not useful for every game mode per se, but there is a certain chance that it will give you an advantage over an opponent on the otherwise same skill level.

Ps. I now added subtitles for several languages (including Japanese! ^^).

RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Postby RottenToTheCore » Sat 7. Jan 2012, 02:33

Never knew how to do this. Thx for that.

I always pushed this away from me, "tomorrow i'll learn".

As Aximon said: It's not _too_ important on ONS, but nice to know, how to do.

You can reach your own base again in Foundry, get onto the walls in TripleSlap very fast etc.

Tried this for some mins now, and now it's enough practice for coming matches.

Not the dodgy one of cause... i never learned ANY ShieldJump :oops:

Rotten - now even more spicy... erm... with ShieldJump :luv: (me is left)

-----

Two more things i couldn't figure out since i played these maps:

BitchSlap: How to do this slap?
TripleSlap: How to reach the middle Deemer? (i tried offline with manta, but couldn't get it)

7homasito
Description: Cover your heads!

Postby 7homasito » Sat 7. Jan 2012, 10:10

borgqueenx wrote: i consider myself a pro, but never got able to get how someone shield jumps.

funniest thing ever borg! a pro... i'm laughing hard :D
that's some weird self-evaluation right there I'm telling you... knowing the maps on the roster and how to use flak and rockets excessively doesn't really qualify for being a pro dude.... really not. getting the most points isnt either! on vehicle maps it usually says you are the biggest spammer.
or you linked many nodes, which doesnt matter when you only defended and healed damaged nodes and lost in the end. remember, winning is still the main goal!
you're slightly above average and should try to improve constantly and broaden your skillset, e.g. by learning how to shieldjump. you are the best example why aximon made this educational piece of film!
I learned stuff from it myself, since I used to tap "back-back" when jumping backwards, THEN turning around when making half of the turn in the moment of the jump and pressing "side-side" and then having to turn only 90° more is much better imo. so thx axi! :)

besides, hardly anyone here is a pro, and tbh it wouldnt be a compliment since those guys pretty much do nothing else except playing this game... this includes participating in tournaments.

btw Rotten I send you a PM answering your questions since it would be the wrong thread to do it here.
7/~ Image

borgqueenx
Description: Ut2004 player

Postby borgqueenx » Sat 7. Jan 2012, 12:06

7homasito wrote:besides, hardly anyone here is a pro, and tbh it wouldnt be a compliment since those guys pretty much do nothing else except playing this game... this includes participating in tournaments.

Our definition of "proship" is different from each other. and from some other people as well.
I really consider me a pro after playing so many years and contributing so much to the team. Yes, contributing to the team usally gets you score. not dieing gets you score as well(in big maps only, because then you dont need to take a vehicle and get to the action again) In my opinion, score is perfect to see how much you contributed to the team. You should spec me some time...I dont build nodes for the lulz. I always use tactic.
I dont go to a locked node and start camping there.
I also consider you a pro, together with rotten and some other guys i cant get their names of right now.

I dont need to master shield jumping. why would i if i will forget about it anyway. its not needed in assault and onslaught. only when playing those crappy trial servers(imo).
I master enough weapons. I know i master sniping better the few days but still i consider myself to be a sucker in sniping. but in other weapons i find myself being good.

Return to “General”