bad news from the ut community

UT2004 related discussions
Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: bad news from the ut community

Postby Pegasus » Sun 4. Mar 2012, 16:10

It's truly a shame that a long-standing renowned pillar of the UT community such as iTS had to relent to the likes of some petty e-thug with a personal grudge and nothing better to do. They will be missed and the aftershocks from the server cluster's disappearance are already starting to be felt around Europe if you're paying attention. Although the choices and configuration specifics of their ONS server didn't always agree with me personally and CEONSS was considered to be a "competitor", I doubt there's anyone who still loves this game and wants to see it keep going strong that doesn't regret the shutting down of such a big community.

xdemic wrote:[...]
I like how the description of your "minor" infractions ("cheating occasionally within iTS servers", "exploiting mods and mutators") is ever so coy and vague but still leaves enough wiggle room for any reasonable person to appreciate how far reaching its effects could be if those "occasional" cheats and exploits were leveled against all ppl in the server at the same time, as more vivid descriptions in other msg boards lately have revealed (changing the projectile class of everyone's weapons around, killing everyone instantly as much as you want, etc.). Yeah, totally harmless stuff, even if we ignored the trolling factor of messing with a server's MOTD/name stats. I suppose ppl should be grateful you were only doing it for a couple of weeks (going by your own admission), too. Because, you know, players only start wondering whether their regular UT server now turned into a hacked mess should be abandoned after that's been going on for 14 days. Before that it's all hunkey dory and the server's reputation can bounce back from a cheater cesspool to prominent venue in a jiffy, according to your extensive research on the matter, I presume.
Still, clearly what's important here is that push made some false assumptions about you and once your partnership turned sour, whatever harms that jerk was fair game, collateral fallout be damned, yes? You're so making that "idiotic admin with a god-complex" burn stick there, bro! One last thing I just have to ask about, seeing as you're the dopest Uscript coder in tha hood: you really expect us to believe you absolutely did not crash iTS servers with your cracked client and custom code that we can't even inspect? I mean, when experienced mappers/coders struggle to solve such issues with every transparency and help from their entire community and even then sometimes fail, we're just supposed to take your "nah bro, trust me, my wares never crashed your servers, believe!" on faith? Right.

Anyway, I think you're wasting yours and everyone else's time here. It's clear you still neither realise nor regret the consequences of your actions toward a multitude of former iTS regulars that never did anything against you. This whole "you gaiz, it's totally pushes fault, I'm seriously" cavalier attitude of yours is simply an attempt to save face by casting push in a darker light and, I can assure you, it's a cop-out that won't be making you any friends here*. I'd suggest growing up and using your skills more beneficially in the future.

*Well, except for one:

Izumo_CZ wrote:I rahter find what xDemic says more truthtelling than what push wrote on iTS forums.
Yes, because clearly all those years they've shared the same amount of character revealing exposure through their volume of works and actions toward the benefit of the UT community that placing trust on either one is a toss-up at this point... Then again, a Uscript coder and representative of a server not above employing unscrupulous practices to expand its playerbase siding with another Uscript coder, cheater and cracked demo server runner over a renowned and well respected community admin of ~5 years like push?

THE ODDS. WHAT ARE THEY?

Izumo_CZ
Description: LDG Admin

Postby Izumo_CZ » Sun 4. Mar 2012, 22:06

Charming to the last. But as I see you're not in current UTAN program and all admins I've talked to rather find xdemic's version true. Reason? Perhaps technical knowledge. Perhaps because several things that push said indeed are ridiculous; especially DDoS attack (just a note: DoS and DDoS are two different things). Push, despite employing unscrupulous practices as you say, did a lot for ut2k4 community but that simply doesn't allow him blame someone for things one didn't do.

xdemic
Description: I'm not so bad.

Postby xdemic » Mon 5. Mar 2012, 02:29

In response to "Pegasus"

I'm just here to post what was true and what was false, not to "save face by casting push in a darker light"

As the above post said, I was accused of setting up a "botnet" (as stinger previously stated in IRC conversations) that lagged iTS servers from infected machines all over the world, a DISTRIBUTED DoS attack.. like come on??? I've never been into malicious programming.(malicious as in virus, spyware, etc)

They (iTS) were clearly receiving some sort of attacks at the time, I assume, and must have attributed these attacks too me. ( I can't blame them, I might have aswell )

I simply saw cheating (regardless of the in-game methods), and full on crash attacks lasting months, as two largely different shades. Regardless of your
opinion. This is the reason I decided to post.

As for the "e-thug" stuff (whatever that means) i don't know where you got that from? kinda weird, I don't recall telling anybody "I'm a dope coder from the hood". But that made me laugh so thanks :ghehe:

- xdemic

Ariel
Description: Nothing to do here...

Postby Ariel » Mon 5. Mar 2012, 04:24

idiotic administrator with a god-complex. - oh that's so true :)

And no need to fear me, Ariel, my beef was with push and with other idiots from iTS, so i played my part in making their life miserable :)
I have no intention of harming any other server.

gl hf all.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Mon 5. Mar 2012, 16:06

Izumo_CZ wrote:Charming to the last. But as I see you're not in current UTAN program and all admins I've talked to rather find xdemic's version true. Reason? Perhaps technical knowledge. Perhaps because several things that push said indeed are ridiculous; especially DDoS attack (just a note: DoS and DDoS are two different things). Push, despite employing unscrupulous practices as you say, did a lot for ut2k4 community but that simply doesn't allow him blame someone for things one didn't do.
Read my post again a bit more carefully and you'll see I've only been questioning xdemic on the actions he admitted to taking against iTS servers himself, nothing besides that like (D)DoSing or whatnot which I, too, find probably far-fetched. Still, the chosen rhetoric of all 3 of you remains slanted and with an obvious goal to disparage and put push on trial here in xdemic's place, as if that would make things alright. Regardless of what groups may or may not like push personally and for what reasons that may have been, push is not on trial here because push hasn't repeatedly disrupted and contributed to the closing of another community's servers. It's quite a simple distinction this. The fact that all of you here so casually gloss and skate over this fact continues to astound me, but no more than your callous (borderline sociopathic even) apathy toward the dozens/hundreds of iTS regulars now left with one less reputable and organized venue to enjoy their favourite game through no fault of their own. Do they matter to you at all? Is their loss justified as long as push suffers a bit due to it?

Btw, Izumo, UTAN is and has been for a while a moot effort. As far as I know, CEONSS has always stayed away from it for very specific reasons, and so has LDG, come to think of it. Feel free to ask heinz for more info on this, if so inclined, but don't bring 'em up here as if their personal opinion of push somehow matters in this issue. I can't vouch for push personally and have rarely used his servers, but as I've said before, however bad you may want to make him look, at least he's contributed to the UT community for years on end so his overall presence in my book has been beneficial - certainly more so than xdemic's here.

xdemic wrote:[...]As for the "e-thug" stuff (whatever that means) i don't know where you got that from? kinda weird, I don't recall telling anybody "I'm a dope coder from the hood". But that made me laugh so thanks :ghehe:[...]
Simply applying the process of implication to your comments above: there's a coding/modding task many admins turned to push for help with because they found it impossible, push doesn't help 'em claiming it to be "VERY difficult to implement"; you, in turn, describe it as "simple modifications" instead. So yeah. Note to self: mark sarcasm more visibly in the future.

@elect: plz stop making low/no content posts, esp. in threads ppl particularly care to follow. If you've got nothing useful to add there, move on instead of posting "tl;dr" crap. This isn't 4chan. Thanks.

elect
Description: Srly? Are u kidding me?

Postby elect » Mon 5. Mar 2012, 16:53

:vaderfight:

I know i know, but you guys miss the gift of synthesis! :ghehe:

Also, to make your post more readable, just use the enter sometimes

Just a little tip from your most loved ass-kicker ;)

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Mon 5. Mar 2012, 17:12

"They (iTS) were clearly receiving some sort of attacks at the time"

"played my part in making their life miserable "

go away moron

Zeddicus
Description: UTAN Admin System SysOp

Postby Zeddicus » Mon 5. Mar 2012, 20:18

Regarding UTAN, my offer still stands :)

xdemic
Description: I'm not so bad.

Postby xdemic » Tue 6. Mar 2012, 03:28

callous (borderline sociopathic even) apathy toward the dozens/hundreds of iTS regulars now left with one less reputable and organized venue

^^ What I want to get a across is that I didn't cause this too happen, nor did I have any desire whatsoever for this too happen.

These posts that claim otherwise are lying, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

If truly these massive crash attacks were indeed happening, then there is another person that should get blamed directly for causing this, and deserves this blame more then I do.

I believe with no doubts within, that my actions alone wouldn't have caused Push to shut down 18 servers (I've never even connected to more then 3 or 4). Not unless he was planning closing it anyways and took the opportunity to put it on my plate instead of his, I don't know.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Tue 6. Mar 2012, 10:37

bla bla bla, can someone ban him already?

Return to “General”