Need help

UT2004 related discussions
Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Need help

Postby Zon3r » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 13:00

Recently a strange problem showed up, after starting ANY map, my FPS drops very low 15-20. doesnt matter if i set the details to lowest or highest, its the same (i was always playing on highest). i have checked the task manager to see if any unusual programs are running, but no. the processor and ram are on the normal level. i dont understand. can anyone help me?

Cat1981England

Re: Need help

Postby Cat1981England » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 18:32

Does it happen in any other games?
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Postby laboRHEinz » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 18:40

Maybe some wrong ini-settings? Like MinDesiredFrameRate? What did you change before this problem appeared?

Zon3r

Postby Zon3r » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 19:00

i didnt changed my ini since last year. and no, other games are just fine. example, ons masterbath, full settings, when i start the map my fps is 140-150 after 3-4mins, it drops to 30-35. i have no idea what to do

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Postby laboRHEinz » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 19:10

If it wouldn't affect only UT I'd guess a clogged dust filter / cooler, loose heatsink or old thermal paste. But if other games run fine and you didn't change anything, hmm, quite strange...

lilalurl

Postby lilalurl » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 19:37

A few more questions (no obvious solution sadly).

Online and offline?
Have you installed (or let Windows or an update program) recently some new graphic/audio drivers?

A defragmentation would probably not hurt but I don't think it would solve the issue.
I am really puzzled by the fact there is such an important drop AFTER a few minutes.

If I were you, here is a test I would do.
Play offline one stock map (like Torlan). At start, use the killbots console command so they don't interfere. Watch your FPSs for a few seconds.
Do something else (in real life) for a few minutes (so you don't do anything in game). Check your FPSs again.
Repeat that process once more.

Then do the same thing with bots this time (use the god console command so that they don't bother you too much).

If the FPSs are rather stable for both those tests, then the issue comes from online gaming.
If the first test has the same issue that you describe, then I can see only two solutions:
- Something is interfering (program/driver) but apparently that is not the case judging from your task manager
- There is a hardware issue. In theory, other games should show similar issues, but there is a chance that UT2004 calls some hardware functions that other games don't.
If it has to do with the processor, then the test with bots should show a far worse ratio than the test without bots (for instance, in the first test you would drop from 140 to 35 and with bots, you would drop from 130 to 10).

Edit: quick look online. Perhaps a trail to follow, a video card that would underclock itself because of heating or lack of power. No real reason for it to happen suddendly like it did for you but perhaps the card is starting to fail and therefore starts to show issues.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1 ... 1034045990

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 20:04

It's sounds as if it's over heating. If you have a PC try giving it a clean and reseating the video card, if you have a laptop we'll try and find you a disassembly guide.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Zon3r

Postby Zon3r » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 21:03

i wasnt overheating cpu and gpu never went over 50-55c, but i have found the problem, something happened to the ut comp mutator, i was always using it for hitsounds, anyway after disabling it, everything is fine :yoman:

Edit: i forgot to add that this fps drop only happened in offline mode

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Fri 23. Mar 2012, 21:25

Another DDx problem solved by accident. See, this is exactly why we need better Expert/Knowledge Systems and fast, people!

SpaceEngineer
Description: what is it?

Postby SpaceEngineer » Sat 24. Mar 2012, 13:12

I has similair problem on the map that I creating. It runs at 150-200 fps, but after few minutes drops to 15-20 fps. Typing "stat all" console command shows that most consuming feature is in the Script, Actor and Move in section Game (30-35 ms for each). I use UTcomp too, I will try play without it.
Last edited by SpaceEngineer on Sat 24. Mar 2012, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”