Create a fixed team

UT2004 related discussions
gio

Create a fixed team

Postby gio » Tue 13. Jul 2010, 16:13

Hi, I'm new on this forum. First...sorry for my english...
I started play UT with my work collegues...and now I'm playng only on CEONSS. I love it...
I'm creating this new post here, because I don't know elsewhere to post it.
I just want to know if there is some way to play ever with my temmates...so making my company team and challenge the others skylled players I've seen...

Maybe some others wants to make theirs teams and then we can challange against...or make some tournament...

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Re: Create a fixed team

Postby laboRHEinz » Wed 14. Jul 2010, 19:15

Hi gio,
welcome to the forum m8, nice that you like the server!
Well, what you are asking for is creating a so-called "clan". There are plenty clans out there providing those clan-matches, including challenges, like 3on3 or 4on4 matches. For example the TCP clan (http://www.tcpclan.net), |FAT|, ST2, »SD» etc...
And there is an official championship for those clan matches including rankings / ladders etc. (http://www.clanbase.com).
Unfortunately, a 32 person server doesn't fit to clan matches because it would have to be locked for others during these matches. And this would scare away other regulars.
Btw, sometimes there are some of those clan members on our server as well; you can easily identify them if they wear their clan tag. The TCP e.g. have "}TCP{", the ST2 clan "ST2" in their player nicks and so on. But they don't always wear their tags, sometimes, they play undercover ;-)
But well, the current server hardware would be capable to run a match server as well. Let me think a bit of creating such a server...
Greetings, heinz

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 23. Aug 2010, 17:45

Hey Heinz/Gio. Any plans for a match server? I've had a look around at some of the UT2004 clans and they're a bit quiet.

Top server BTW
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Tue 24. Aug 2010, 18:33

Hi Cat, welcome to the forum :-)
well, a match server shouldn't be a big problem. We'd just need a decent map roster and some kind of organisation, especially a match organizer. Any suggestions? I'd say there solely should be some non-spammy and small maps. Big maps like Panalesh won't fit to a 4 on 4 server ;-) And the match organisation could be done here within a dedicated subforum. Other ideas?
Greetz, heinz

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 24. Aug 2010, 20:37

Hey Heinz. First off it would be nice to be able to make donations, it's not polite to ask a stranger for something without offering something in return. :)

A subforum for organising matches would be perfect. Any team could simply put out an open challenge for a certain time and date so people wouldn't double book the match server. A second subforum would be helpful for building teams, posting results and discussing tactics.

As for the maps, small maps would be best imo as they should create competitive matches. Personally i would prefer some of the more traditional maps such as Urban Ascendancy etc

All the best.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Wed 25. Aug 2010, 18:05

Well I already was experimenting with a paypal button, but didn't get it running yet. Looking at other 32P servers, I'm not expecting too many donations, thus no hurry at that matter. Anyway, thanks for asking i.e. being willing to donate :-)
Regarding the match server: it wouldn't cause extra costs because it could run on the current hardware. It's relaxing at 12% CPU load at maximum, even with 32 players plus spectators. Network load doesn't exceed 4% so, there's enough air for a little match server. I've already played a bit with the configuration but it's not running yet. Btw I agree: small, classic and skill-focussed maps would be the choice at first.

laboRHEinz
Administrator

Postby laboRHEinz » Sun 29. Aug 2010, 10:10

gio

Postby gio » Sun 29. Aug 2010, 10:56

Great Heinz...I just tried it...against a BOT... ;)

Great work...

My ping is better in that server instead of the main (the one which we always have played on)

Tnx for your work....

This will be a good chance for even more fun!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 29. Aug 2010, 13:04

Thanks for setting it up. AFK atm, looking forward to playing some matches.

Return to “General”