Critical Error

UT2004 related discussions
EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Critical Error

Postby EmanReleipS » Tue 8. Oct 2013, 14:51

Hi guys,

for the first time since playing UT2004, I actually got an error message. I have no clue what this is supposed to tell me, so I thought I'd ask here.....Can I ignore this one? The wikipedia page about that kind of error sounds a bit scary....

The error message:
UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3215 MHz with 4092MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1106)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- UObject::GetFullName <- DispatchDestroy <- DispatchDestroys <- UObject::PurgeGarbage <- UObject::StaticExit <- appPreExit <- FMallocWindows::Free

Processor is an AMD Athlon II X2 260.

What exactly is that data "UObject:ConditionalDestroy" and do I need it in order to play the game?

I'm grateful for any help. Thanks in advance!

Cat1981England

Re: Critical Error

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 8. Oct 2013, 17:34

Wormbo would be the person to ask about this.

Personally I get the odd crash with an error message like this every couple of months or so. As far as I know, all games based on any of the Unreal engines get them and are normally related to ram issues. Unless you are having frequent crashes I wouldn't worry about it, and if you are try simply reinstalling UT2004 before anything else.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Tue 8. Oct 2013, 18:42

"appPreExit" - this happened when you exited the game? A GPF in UObject::ConditionalDestroy could mean that an object didn't actually exist anymore when it was supposed to be destroyed, e.g. by the garbage collector.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Tue 8. Oct 2013, 23:43

Thanks, Cat and Wormbo.

Wormbo wrote:"appPreExit" - this happened when you exited the game? A GPF in UObject::ConditionalDestroy could mean that an object didn't actually exist anymore when it was supposed to be destroyed, e.g. by the garbage collector.

Yes, that error popped up right after exiting the game.

*reading wikipedia article about garbage collector*
Ehm....So you are suggesting that f.e. the garbage collector was trying to free up memory space in use by the terminated program (=UT2004), but that became obsolete because the memory wasn't in use anymore anyways? That doesn't really make any sense to me, but kinda makes Cat's solution seem very fitting - to ignore it.

Return to “General”