Critical Error

UT2004 related discussions
joeblow
Description: male gamer

Critical Error

Post by joeblow » Tue 4. Aug 2020, 15:18

I should have added it was on my much hated unused winxp laptop not my usually computer that I play on. It needed an updated file on almost every map played...and caused some computer over heating on the black load in screen on my end.

So for me it does indicate there is something missing in the downloads of files that are being used that havent before.

This would effect new players that never have played before?

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Critical Error

Post by EmanReleipS » Tue 4. Aug 2020, 18:12

Sorry Joey, I don't really understand what you are trying to say. From your description it just sounds to me like you had to download maps or map dependencies which your usual pc already has in its cache.

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Critical Error

Post by GLoups! » Wed 5. Aug 2020, 09:48

If you want to avoid loading files from the server to another pc or Os installation, all you have to do is copy the entire contents of your old cache file (..:\UT2004\Cache) with a USB key on your new installation.

Then search in your UT2004.ini files for:

Code: Select all

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
And change this to

Code: Select all

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=9999
This will prevent you from re-downloading everything every month.

joeblow
Description: male gamer

Critical Error

Post by joeblow » Fri 7. Aug 2020, 07:32

joeblow wrote:
Tue 4. Aug 2020, 15:18
I should have added it was on my much hated unused winxp laptop not my usually computer that I play on. It needed an updated file on almost every map played...and caused some computer over heating on the black load in screen on my end.

So for me it does indicate there is something missing in the downloads of files that are being used that havent before.

This would effect new players that never have played before?
Very sorry I reread what I wrote and its doesnt make much sense.

Concerning the file mismatch errors Sana and I have been getting my comments are...

If I was a new incoming player that never played before there might be some problems with the download files in some way or other on some maps.

If I was a new player that never played before I might be confused what or why this is happening. I myself would have never known there was an issue until I dusted off my old,old backup UT2004 laptop and played two weeks ago. My main UT2004 computer has been out for 5 months and I have been on hiatus.

Apologies I have no good real solution at this time.