Tips and Tricks

UT2004 related discussions
Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Tips and Tricks

Postby Dalyup! » Sun 1. Dec 2013, 00:20

Thought it may be useful for us to have a collection of tips, tricks and tactics we've garnered over the years.

On-foot Gameplay

• If you are fighting someone who jumps or jump-dodges around a lot, aim at the direction they are going to land because they are committed to doing so and cannot alter their path. However, if they are beside a wall and jump they can dodge off it, so watch out for that.
  • When loading up a rocket launcher, fire it when two rockets are loaded. Many foes anticipate you loading three, waiting for that moment to dodge, giving them a nasty surprise.
  • The minigun and link gun secondary is very useful against those who primarily strafe when duelling.
  • When dodging vehicles trying to crush you, try to dodge at a 45 degree angle towards them as they will find it difficult to follow you.

Vehicle Gameplay

• The manta can jump higher than normal if you enter a manta and then immediately jump.
  • Goliaths and Hellbender rear turrets have loading time which many people utilise to their advantage by dodging just before it is loaded. Wait for them to dodge before firing.
  • In a Raptor, if you can get close to an enemy flying vehicle without them noticing you, save your easily dodgeable missiles. Get close to them, deal as much damage as you can with your primary, then fire off the missile when they start moving away. You'll deal a lot more damage.
  • In a Goliath or Levithan, driving backwards can be more useful than forwards as you are less exposed when appearing from corners.
  • A Goliath can run over people with its turret. Useful for those who try jump on top.

Weapons

• The Shield Gun secondary can reflect shock beams and balls, link projectiles, LG shots, and Paldadin shots. Reflection explicitly also works for Super Shock Rifle shots. The energy weapons in hover tank collection also reflect off the shield. That includes the Nephthys LG turret, Odin link turrets and even the Poltergeist's shock wave. (That one is only partially reflected, though.)
  • The Shield Gun secondary does not completely protect you from the front. You can still be shot in the feet and head.
  • The Lightning Gun has splash damage: three small arcs appear from the centre of the shot doing half damage (35). Each player can only be hit once.
  • Flak balls have smiley faces on them. Use this to taunt the enemy until they cry.
  • Link gun: Every link adds 150% damage or healing speed to the beam, but only 100% damage to the projectiles. A Linkgun with one linker repairs or damages things 25% faster than two individual Linkguns. Two people linking to a third apply as much healing as four individual Linkguns. Double damage is never applied from linked Linkguns. It also doesn't count when healing objectives, only for repairing vehicles or doing damage. If you're looking for damage output against vehicles or objectives, projectile mode is better than the beam with two or less linkers.

Onslaught

• Powernodes can take more damage if you manage to hit the base and top at the same time. They count as different targets, so any splash damage that hits them both counts as two hits. The distance between the two parts is larger than the radius of a rocket explosion, but less than the radius of a paladin shot or tank shell explosion or the diameter of a shock combo.
    This is also the reason why a single Redeemer can take out a node. Against a single target, a Redeemer could only do about 1500 damage, while nodes usually have 2000 health. Super weapons aside, shock combos are probably the fastest way to tear down a node if you have no vehicle, but enough ammo.
  • When choosing what nodes to destroy, it is generally better to destroy nodes that isolate enemy nodes. Even if you cannot attack the isolated nodes, they will slowly lose health and eventually be destroyed. However, enemy players can still heal the node.
  • When refilling ammo at a weapon locker, you often get more ammo if you first throw the weapon before walking over the weapon locker. For example, if you already have a Link gun and go over a weapon locker you are usually given 70 ammo, while if you did not initially have one you would get about 130.

Miscellaneous

• Offline you can use the debug command "ruler" to immediately "touch" all powernodes. This allows you to quickly start building all nodes you are allowed to build at this time.
  • Fun fact: Many UT2003 weapons have a texture feature that resembles music player controls. It can't always be seen in 1st person view, but the pickup and 3rd person mesh usually shows them. The new or upgraded UT2004 meshes no longer have these controls.
Last edited by Dalyup! on Tue 3. Dec 2013, 15:47, edited 3 times in total.

RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby RottenToTheCore » Sun 1. Dec 2013, 00:48

Wow, nice :).

There were many things new to me.

Thx for the tips!

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Sun 1. Dec 2013, 06:56

"The lightning gun has (sorta) splash damage if not hitting someone directly."

Rarely tho, but happens to have a double kill with one LG shot

I did not know about shield gun reflecting, and smiley faces on flak :D Nice one

Happy kill :)

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Postby Xac » Sun 1. Dec 2013, 13:39

I try to aim rockets where I think people will land, but usually end up blowing myself up in the process. :oops:
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Sun 1. Dec 2013, 14:00

• Backward driving: This may also apply to the Leviathan, as it has identical forward and reverse gears and the driver's gun mounted at the rear end.
  • LG "splash": Those are actually three small arcs that do half damage each. Each player can only get hit once by an LG shot, though.
  • SG reflections: It seems the shield can also reflect Paladin shots. Link projectiles (including those from Link turrets and tanks) and LG shots are also reflectable, but all those Onslaught vehicle/turret energy weapons aren't. For Invasion players: The Skaarj and Krall shots are reflected as well.
    Reflection explicitly also works for Super Shock Rifle shots. The energy weapons in hover tank collection also reflect off the shield. That includes the Nephthys LG turret, Odin link turrets and even the Poltergeist's shock wave. (That one is only partially reflected, though.)
  • Flak shell face: The Mercury Missiles in several of my creations also have a face on their nose, though it's a different smiley.
  • Fun fact: Many UT2003 weapons have a texture feature that resembles music player controls. It can't always be seen in 1st person view, but the pickup and 3rd person mesh usually shows them. The new or upgraded UT2004 meshes no longer have these controls.
  • Goliath turret: The turret isn't really supposed to run over people, but turning the turret intentionally pushes players off the tank, i.e. there's additional code for exactly that purpose.
  • Link gun: Every link adds 150% damage or healing speed to the beam, but only 100% damage to the projectiles. A Linkgun with one linker repairs or damages things 25% faster than two individual Linkguns. Two people linking to a third apply as much healing as four individual Linkguns. Double damage is never applied from linked Linkguns. It also doesn't count when healing objectives, only for repairing vehicles or doing damage. If you're looking for damage output against vehicles or objectives, projectile mode is better than the beam with two or less linkers.
  • Powernodes can take more damage if you manage to hit the base and top at the same time. They count as different targets, so any splash damage that hits them both counts as two hits. The distance between the two parts is larger than the radius of a rocket explosion, but less than the radius of a paladin shot or tank shell explosion or the diameter of a shock combo.
    This is also the reason why a single Redeemer can take out a node. Against a single target, a Redeemer could only do about 1500 damage, while nodes usually have 2000 health. Super weapons aside, shock combos are probably the fastest way to tear down a node if you have no vehicle, but enough ammo.
  • Offline you can use the [s]cheat[/s] debug command "ruler" to immediately "touch" all powernodes. This allows you to quickly start building all nodes you are allowed to build at this time.

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Postby Dalyup! » Mon 2. Dec 2013, 00:25

Interesting, I was unaware that the SG could reflect anything else. I shall amend the main list with your tips.

RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Postby RottenToTheCore » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 23:20

Could anybody tell me how to reach the middle-node-deemer of Katharos-NV?
At the top of the volcano there's a bridge where you can find it.

I tried half an our to get there, without success °°

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Tue 7. Jan 2014, 23:45

Easy way: use one of the two, symmetrically-placed teleporters located in shallow waters on the map edge side of the small mine layer magma isles. Hard way involves stocking up on health and shield hps, max shield jumping to the top of the volcano entrance, then doing so again (maybe with an additional quick downward shield tap on the incline) to get the rest of the way up; in offline play it's even easier as you can get the extra needed height for the clincher to the second MSJ via AVRiL shot. It's been awhile and I'm not 100% certain on this, but bio boosting may also work.

fors
Description: skype:mushiak14

Postby fors » Wed 8. Jan 2014, 01:01

funny :lol: I try it(=
I forgot say!!! about the joint link-chain - don't forget you, the man who first in a chain-link - he first will receive the bullet and the chain will be destroyed completely, think you understand why :D (I'm a bit surprised - I was sure that the chain-link and individual links, repairing vehicles and nodes alike)

N4rkoT1k
Description: Lovin UT2004

Postby N4rkoT1k » Thu 9. Jan 2014, 15:14

I think I also got one:

In case you encounter/see some Raptor, fire an AVRIL but dont lock it on. Keep tracking the raptor until it nearly hits the raptor then switch to LG right before AVRIL would hit, fire LG (your crosshair should be on top of that Raptor at that time cause you tracked AVRIL on it) and directly switch to SR and fire again.

This should be 305 damage points (Raptor has 300) if you hit all of them and the Raptor pilot has only 1-2 seconds to react to that attack (e.g. eject out of the Raptor or something)

Perhaps another one?:
If you see one of your team mates driving a Goliath all alone you should better linkgun-heal it than taking the machine gun seat
Usually you wont do much with that weapon so its often better to just try to keep that tank alive (IMHO)

Return to “General”