Tips and Tricks

UT2004 related discussions
User avatar
Karma_geddon
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 17:33
Description: from Italy

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Karma_geddon » Fri 10. Jan 2014, 15:02

-FuNkY-MoNk-UK wrote:
LG "splash": Those are actually three small arcs that do half damage each. Each player can only get hit once by an LG shot, though.

So... is it possible to do a multi kill with LG in one shot?

Never saw this happen..



Nope it's not possible, my old clan tested this a while ago.


Are you sure? I could swear that I did a Double kill with a single LG shot some times ago, against bot on local. It passed some time from that, but I'm pretty sure...
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

Zon3r
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu 7. Apr 2011, 07:46
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Zon3r » Fri 10. Jan 2014, 15:28

Double kill is possible, first hand experience. not sure about multi kill.
Image

User avatar
Wormbo
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun 28. Aug 2011, 11:52
Description: Coding Dude

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Wormbo » Fri 10. Jan 2014, 15:42

Multikill should be possible as well, but it's even less likely.

User avatar
Pegasus
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed 4. Nov 2009, 23:37
Description: ONSWordFactory
Location: Greece

Tips and Tricks

Postby Pegasus » Fri 10. Jan 2014, 16:07

I, too, can confirm the possibility of an LG twofer frag; I've actually managed that twice, both times in TripleSlap (probably the most suited map for headshotting).

As to AVRiL induced suicide while riding a speeding manta, that's owed to the rocket's initial speed in the tick after it's fired being lower than the manta's while both are traveling in the same direction; trying to outrun your own explosive projectile down the same path is rarely a good idea :). Firing at a 20-30° angle from the desired direction should eliminate any risk of running face first into your rocket. Also, while the AVRiL kickback animation & movement will play for the clients, it's actually not happening server-side (meaning, in the next tick you'll be reset as per the server's understanding of reality), so don't get spooked by it, thinking it'd be liable to push you off the manta fuselage's top (which will happen in an offline game). Lastly, standing on the top of a manta is indeed advisable 95% of the time; the other 5% is when you know your designated driver's gonna hit a low ceiling, so crouching at the front of a wing might be preferable then.
Image

User avatar
Karma_geddon
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue 13. Aug 2013, 17:33
Description: from Italy

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Karma_geddon » Fri 10. Jan 2014, 17:01

Pegasus wrote:Lastly, standing on the top of a manta is indeed advisable 95% of the time; the other 5% is when you know your designated driver's gonna hit a low ceiling, so crouching at the front of a wing might be preferable then.


LOL

Some nights ago, on a Torlan demoserver, I was riding with other two footmen on the top of some manta.
Then an Hellbender just DROPPED on us. :wohoo:

The most hilarious death I had in a long time xD
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

User avatar
Wormbo
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun 28. Aug 2011, 11:52
Description: Coding Dude

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Wormbo » Sun 12. Jan 2014, 17:10

Did you know that not only AVRiLs, but also SPMA shells (including submunition) can be shot down?
Both have zero collision size, so most weapons are useless. But if you happen to have a weapon that either has a non-zero hit area or can deal splash damage in mid-air, you can apply damage to these projectiles and destroy them that way. I suppose the only useful candidates for this task are the Paladin (fast moving non-zero collision projectiles) and the Railgun Tank (non-zero width hit-scan shot) and maybe the Odin hover tank, but that one probably is too hard to aim for this purpose. Useful splash damage tricks against AVRiLs like Goliath shots on the ground obviously won't work due to the high-arcing trajectory.

User avatar
Pegasus
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed 4. Nov 2009, 23:37
Description: ONSWordFactory
Location: Greece

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Pegasus » Sun 12. Jan 2014, 21:41

Much less frequently encountered, but also fitting that category, is the Target Painter bomber's dropped payload, which also can be picked off one by one as they're plummeting towards your node, or just the 1-2 that will likely explode near enough to do any serious damage. If you're attacking, keep in mind that the Dragonfly bomber's map entry/exit points and flight path will be along the direction your Painter is aiming, and the first bomb will drop a good ways away from your intended target too, so careful you don't blow yourself up when you're painting from a medium distance (Barracks tends to produce consistently hilarious results in that regard :p).
Image

User avatar
Wormbo
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun 28. Aug 2011, 11:52
Description: Coding Dude

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Wormbo » Sun 12. Jan 2014, 22:37

I hope this doesn't need mentioning, but not only the bombs are potential targets. The bomber itself can be shot down as well. It has only 150 hit points, but when those are drained, it won't be gone. It will actually fall down in an arc and generate a full Redeemer explosion where it crashes. Explosion damage is attributed to the player who drained the last hit point. Hits to the bomber count as player hits, not vehicle hits. Keep that in mind when making your weapon choice. (Particularly that means the Sniper Rifle and hand-held and vehicle-mounted miniguns aren't bad choices at all.)
Also you don't want to crash into it with another vehicle, that's instant death for your vehicle, but at least the bomber goes down in your name.

Degrek Phantoka
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue 29. Jul 2014, 00:52
Description: The UT2004 not-so-n00b player

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Degrek Phantoka » Fri 1. Aug 2014, 18:45

Here's mine:

Work in pairs!! If you're playing with a friend, go fragging covering each other: while one destroys a node, the other can watch for incoming enemy vehicles or projectiles. The same applies to vehicles: choose two vehicles which are likely to blow themselves up if they were in opposite teams (e.g, a Goliath, or any other type of tank with a Raptor. Or, if we're speaking of custom vehicles, a Dragon with a Hellhound).

User avatar
Pegasus
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed 4. Nov 2009, 23:37
Description: ONSWordFactory
Location: Greece

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Pegasus » Fri 22. Aug 2014, 21:32

Responding to this Q from another thread,
elect wrote:I always wondered if is faster when one mate links another one that links the node compared to both linking the node singularly or it is the same..
I believe the answer has already been provided by Wormbo here. In fact, his post encapsulates almost everything there is to keep in mind for effective use of the link gun, but just in case some folks here have memory that retains info better in formulas or figures, and also to address the omitted issue of optimal linking pattern, here's a few useful links:

- First up, the basic damage/healing multiplication figures from BeyondUnreal; note that they compound differently for the plasma shots and the shaft.
- Next up, for anyone looking for additional stats, some helpful dps numbers by Omni dev Kamek (ONSToys author).
- Lastly, one of the UT community's most reliable devs, Shambler (ONSPlus author), quickly addresses the oft-resurfacing question about the best arrangement between linkers. Spoiler: it doesn't matter.
Image


Return to “General”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests