Tips and Tricks

UT2004 related discussions
Steinein

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby Steinein » Sat 23. Aug 2014, 00:25

Here are some more:

- Not everybody knows that the Shield Gun can also reduce your falling damage. If you are likely to get fall damage, just swap to your shield gun in the air and point it downwards. It can make a big difference.

- You can keybind 2 weapons on the same key. If you don't have the first choice weapon it is bounded to, it will try to swap to the second choice weapon of that key.
You can do it like so:
Go to your UT2004\System folder, look for the User.ini file and open it.
Search for the key you want to bind (in this example Q) and enter this:

Q=getweapon Onslaught.ONSAVRiL | PipedSwitchWeapon 4

Now when you press Q, it will try to get your Avril first, if you don't have an Avril, it will switch to the Shock Rifle.
I like using this as an anti vehicle button. If i see a Manta rushing at me, i will hit Q and it either gives me an Avril to destroy it, or the Shock Rifle to hold it off.
This is also a nice trick because if you look at the keybind menu in UT, you can't normally bind the Avril.

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Wed 3. Sep 2014, 20:01

There are also less known tactics:
-Blocking the spawnpoint of vehicles will prevent the vehicles from spamming as long as the blocking object is still there.
-If you don't destroy a vehicle, but capture it (hijacking) you can actually make that vehicle not to spawn. This is done by keeping that vehicle alive. Even if that vehicle usually spawns in the enemy base, as long as it is alive the specific vehicle will not spawn, making the enemy lack that vehicle. Valuable targets: Goliaths, Paladins, Leviathans and OP vehicles such as Minotaur. If you lose the vehicle and it is destroyed, it will respawn. (So you know now why I prefer to hijack even those goliaths which don't have much health :D). You also have to keep the vehicle manned, because if it is unmanned for a certain time, it will vanish and respawn

Sernemissza
Description: I'll swallow your soul!

Everything you always wanted to know about UT2004 but were afraid to ask

Postby Sernemissza » Sun 17. Jan 2016, 13:05

Hi!

I noticed we have new players, some of them rookies, for an example, i felt some rockets in my back without harm.
They asked us how to play, but during a match uncomfortable helping them.
I know i can say "Kill the reds, build nodes, don't shoot your teammates!", but i think it's not that simple.
In a well balanced match my teammates expects me to play hard, and the rookies don't know which weapon able to build.
My suggestion is draw their attention ingame for the server rules and the GameFAQ,
with MutTimedMessages or the built-in MessageOfTheDay, and make a reviewed GameFAQ.
Even some pro player didn't know what can you do with all of the standard weapons, for an example a full-loaded bio rifle can kill an opponent with a super shield.
I mentioned a reviewed one, because an old one is exist at BeyondUnreal, but it needs some clarification.
In concrete i found a misunderstanding about respawning.
Officially no one can respawn on an attacked node (34th hint), but my experience has shown that not how it works, and i'm not alone.
I mean an attacked node started pulsing in the game and on the radar too, but even i was able respawning in these nodes (and someone was angry because of it).
I know i asking a lot, but it can be a huge help.

Steinein

Re: Everything you always wanted to know about UT2004 but were afraid to ask

Postby Steinein » Sun 17. Jan 2016, 18:14

Sernemissza wrote:In concrete i found a misunderstanding about respawning.
Officially no one can respawn on an attacked node (34th hint), but my experience has shown that not how it works, and i'm not alone.
I mean an attacked node started pulsing in the game and on the radar too, but even i was able respawning in these nodes (and someone was angry because of it).

That's a bug, you can't spawn at a node which is under attack, but it does indeed happen every now and then. I think this is usually just a matter of bad timing, where the attacker was just a millisecond too late. What also happens is that attackers forget to keep attacking the node. If you don't touch the node for +/- 3 seconds (don't know the exact timer), because you pick up a weapon locker, shoot something else, etc, the node is once again available for people to spawn. You might have touched it at 3.1 seconds and in that 0.1 second someone can spawn which then might look like a bug in the game.
But I agree that sometimes it looks like none of the above options are the case and someone just spawns at a node which is being attacked, could be lag?

[P]etya
Description: someone

Postby [P]etya » Fri 22. Jan 2016, 09:14

Steinein wrote:That's a bug, you can't spawn at a node which is under attack, but it does indeed happen every now and then. I think this is usually just a matter of bad timing, where the attacker was just a millisecond too late. What also happens is that attackers forget to keep attacking the node. If you don't touch the node for +/- 3 seconds (don't know the exact timer), because you pick up a weapon locker, shoot something else, etc, the node is once again available for people to spawn. You might have touched it at 3.1 seconds and in that 0.1 second someone can spawn which then might look like a bug in the game.
But I agree that sometimes it looks like none of the above options are the case and someone just spawns at a node which is being attacked, could be lag?

It's lag and timing. UT2004 can't handle lag related delays that well. Also the game won't immediately consider the node being attacked after it was attacked. There is a really short delay and due to that not everyone has really low pings, that delay can be a bit longer for some people with higher ping. It just tends to happen, I guess nothing can be done about it.

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Sun 24. Jan 2016, 00:19

You can structure your Maps folder by adding subfolders. For example a CEONSS-folder, a Zombiemap-folder a CTF-Folder, etcetera.
After adding the subfolders you hav to open the UT2004.ini which is in the systemsfolder and add the path name like: (that the game has to be closed before editing is clear)

Code: Select all

Paths=../Maps/*.ut2
;Paths=../Maps/CBP1/*.ut2
;Paths=../Maps/CBP2/*.ut2
;Paths=../Maps/DM_Sniper/*.ut2
;Paths=../Maps/CEONSS_Map/*.ut2
Paths=../Maps/CEONSS_editPack/*.ut2
;Paths=../Maps/DM_Deck/*.ut2
;Paths=../Maps/DPM/*.ut2
;Paths=../Maps/VK/*.ut2

With the ; in front of a line you can comment the folder out. So you can just have one folder load and prevent chaos. In the example it's just load the folder 'CEONSS_editPack' and the stock maps (they should always be activated. You can do it with every folder, but I only recommend Maps. The others has causes a silent crash when connecting to a server by me.

Checking Maps for missing files: UTDeps File Dependancy Checker.

Checking for duplicates: AllDup.

To synchronize folders: FreeCommander.

For cache extraktion UT Cache Manager which Pegasus has mentioned here.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Sun 24. Jan 2016, 09:09

Unreal Engine INI files actually don't know the concept of "comments". Instead they gracefully handle unknown properties by not removing them when writing changes to a section containing such lines. Note that while the order of array properties (like Paths in [Core.System]) and comments between them will be kept individually, the total order of lines may change to group the array property lines together again, therefore moving away "comment" lines.

Butze
Description: nüscht

Postby Butze » Sun 24. Jan 2016, 11:01

Wormbo entwickelst du für UT4 auch so geniale Mods, wie die, die auf deiner Internetseite zur Verfügung stehen?

Butze(mann) :D

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Sun 24. Jan 2016, 12:49

Thank You for your advise Wormbo. I really appreciate your posts. :thumbup:

Butze wrote:Wormbo entwickelst du für UT4 auch so geniale Mods, wie die, die auf deiner Internetseite zur Verfügung stehen?

Analogous:
Wormbo are you planning to develop such brilliant mods for UT4, as they are listed at your homepage?

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Sun 24. Jan 2016, 14:20

Butze wrote:Wormbo entwickelst du für UT4 auch so geniale Mods, wie die, die auf deiner Internetseite zur Verfügung stehen?

The Unreal Engine 4 development process is anything but fun, so no.

Return to “General”