Description: Haggis

New UT will be free and built from scratch

Post by Dalyup! » Thu 8. May 2014, 19:51

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Re: New UT will be free and built from scratch

Post by EmanReleipS » Thu 8. May 2014, 20:37

It sounds really amazing! If it comes out and is awesome, I think it would be great if CEONSS' (at least most of us) regulars could move on to the new game together.... I really don't want to lose this community. It would be a shame. But for now, let's see what the future will bring. I reckon we will have a few years until the game is finished anyway. :D
And I really like the opportunity for fans to participate. :D
NEW IP:

-FuNkY-MoNk-UK-

Post by -FuNkY-MoNk-UK- » Thu 8. May 2014, 21:02

When they said it's going to be free, i was like noooooooo but it actually makes sense from a business point of view. Being partly developed by the community is the best part of this new UT, i guess they can't charge for content they have not made.

I just hope EPIC will have one heck of a anti cheat system, being a free game, it will be riddled with hackers. It's great that i didn't see anything about development for consoles. :yippiiieh:

I am guna keep a close eye on this forum :) >>> https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdi ... Tournament

elect
Description: Srly? Are u kidding me?

Post by elect » Thu 8. May 2014, 21:52

So this was the news they were gonna talking last days..

nice to hear that, I will read carefully tomorrow with time ^^

I just hope it wont be any shit like payToHaveSomethingMoreThanOthersSinceYouCantMakeIt

Hyden
Description: Eastern Coast Canadian, gamer

Post by Hyden » Fri 9. May 2014, 00:44

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, if they truly listen to the community then hopefully they won't repeat the mistakes that made UT3 such a poor game that died a relatively quick death.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Post by Pegasus » Fri 9. May 2014, 01:27

So here's why I'm more cautions than excited about this right now. With launching this "joint development" project, Epic stands to gain in the following ways:

- During development all the Games Media noise will likely attract indie devs, seasoned modders and budding young amateurs with all kinds of raw skill, and expose 'em to the UE4 framework and SDK, thus ensuring that a bigger part of the next wave of professionals that studios can pluck will be fluent in and focused on Epic's middleware, rather than Crytek's, BethSoft's, in Unity or in any other SDK/engine. Valve's Source 2.0 is coming out too, right? Considering the renewed efforts from all sides to price down and make much more accessible such kinda solutions to indie studios (any of 'em could land a breakaway hit and getting 15% off of that ain't exactly bad), this can prove to be most lucrative for Epic down the road.

- After development's done (whenever they decide it's time to call it "done", that is), Epic can sit pretty in the middle of that user generated marketplace, much like how Valve's been doing with DoTA2/TF2, and get a cut from any and all monied transactions.

Now, you might think that I'm being unreasonably suspicious or prejudiced here since such strategies have already been employed by other devs/publishers and the games they've been tied to haven't necessarily turned out bad, so it's conceivable that this could be a win/win situation. Small difference with this case though: notice how nowhere in that list exists any kinda need for a whole and complete game to be made - in a similar sense as one might've considered the retail version of, say, UT2004 to've been complete, i.e. with multiple gametypes, music/SFX/visual assets and proper QA/balancing - for Epic to benefit. In other cases, those games were first fully developed in-house and only later were such aspects introduced to their communities.
Marking off an empty lot as "New UT joint dev area, everyone welcome!!1" and inviting everyone who knows how to use a shovel or hammer to come along and help built it, as high and well as they can and for as long as they want to, offers absolutely no guarantees to regular players and oldschool arena FPS fans that the final result would meet any of the standards or match any of the expectations most of us would have of a new and worthy, in-house developed UT iteration. While, as the articles state, Epic's devs will be on hand to work on the game's skeleton (and likely prod things along for awhile), without an overall plan and proper direction (never mind bankrolling, a consistent pace and quality checking along the way) chances are about as good that contributors might lose interest after cobbling together the 4-5 most popular/cardinal gametypes and walk away as they'd be that something full-featued or even of bigger scope than UT2004's will be made.
IMO, this looks less like a studio investing in making a new and successful sequel to a respectable franchise that it'll profit from selling to a clamoring, diehard audience, and more like a merchant trying to maintain its place in the middleware market with its latest closed-garden software by luring as many ppl as they can to play with it. If a half-decent game comes out of the whole thing too, that's just gravy; no big deal for them if it doesn't pan out though. In any event, players' satisfaction and doing right by a still beloved PC FPS staple (as our community's very existence also demonstrates) seems like a far and away secondary concern, and that's what's been grinding my gears ever since I heard of this news. Just because we dodged the more obvious F2P/DLC/microtransactions monetization bullet doesn't mean we're necessarily headed back to the glory days here.

Anyone shares those concerns too or am I just being a jaded old prick here?
Eyes in the skies.

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Post by EmanReleipS » Fri 9. May 2014, 08:00

Peggy, I agree with you. That is something to worry about, but I'm hoping the opportunity to participate in the development offers a way for us to hold against that somehow, maybe by pointing out exactly what you have said here to the community at their new forum and creating a bit of pressure by the fans to develop a game with a certain standard.

The fact that anyone can develop content and demand a price for it also worries me. I'm sure that many will offer things for free. But how is it gonna work for the stuff that is not for free? Every user needs to pay individually or servers that want to use the content end up paying? I'm secretly hoping that Epic's plan to milk all the sales the fan developers make will backfire by no one taking any money... ;)

(Also, Peg, you are none of those things....)
NEW IP:

[P]etya

Post by [P]etya » Fri 9. May 2014, 16:14

This sounds fantastic! I can barely wait for a playable version to come out. :) I hope I'll meet lots of players there from this community. :P

]M[
Description: laggy but not too shabby^

Post by ]M[ » Sat 10. May 2014, 12:10

now this is the most interesting news in a while...
like the open source/community model too :)

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Post by Dalyup! » Mon 12. May 2014, 17:36

I understand those concerns you have, Peg, and somewhat share them. There hasn't been much direction or overall plan presented to use from Epic but it's still early days and some time is needed, of course. It is somewhat troubling just how much effort they will put into it - how many maps will they release, how many modes, etc? While the community certainly makes some very good maps, a lot of the continuously played (competitively and publicly) and well-received maps were the default maps because of how well designed and tested they were. A number of default maps need to be done by them. Anyway, I don't think they'll treat is as a mere side project and will put it through the complete game development cycle.