New UT will be free and built from scratch

UT2004 related discussions
Droopy_Bollocks
Description: Gets the job done quietly

Re: New UT will be free and built from scratch

Post by Droopy_Bollocks » Mon 12. May 2014, 23:45

No Peg, you're not the only one who's a little suspicious about the announcements thus far, I spent a couple of hours on the forums and I couldn't find a coherent idea of where the game is intended to be heading.

As Daly pointed out it's early days but any successful game should have at least a backbone in place by now so that goals can be set and worked to. The major difference between the open source community and the pro sector is focus : plan, schedule, deliver, test, debug, refine and release. Open source is usually full of great talented folks all pulling in different directions (Android is a great example)

This could be a winner, Epic should have the brains to nudge development in the right direction, set the framework and make the open source community operate as a team for once rather than just a bunch of talent all screaming at the same time and no one voice gets to be heard.

But with some of the best UT talent here on CEONSS (Wormbo, Peg, Labor et al) make sure you dangerously talented ones get involved, don't sit back and wait for failure, get your voice heard.

Wormbo & Peg especially, Peg you're a great analyst and tactician, you know what makes for good maps and gameplay so make sure your thoughts get heard on the new forum...

And this could be Heinz's new job, head of New-UT server design and management, they need an experienced man up there! ;-)

db
Don't bother asking - I won't answer.

Silence is a virtue, not a weakness

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Post by laboRHEinz » Tue 13. May 2014, 19:57

Droopy_Bollocks wrote:And this could be Heinz's new job, head of New-UT server design and management, they need an experienced man up there! ;-)
Hehe nice idea although I'm not exactly looking for a new job ;) However, indeed, in the beginning I was thinking about getting myself involved there, too. But then I saw the thousands of participants adding several posts per minute. Sorry but I don't see the point in contributing any further ideas at this point. This project needs structure first. Luckily Epic seems to be re-organising the forums at the moment ;)

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Post by EmanReleipS » Tue 13. May 2014, 21:33

Apparently you can get access to the Unreal engine for a monthy subscription of $19. The game itself is supposed to be free.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5695404 ... epic-games
NEW IP:

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Post by Dalyup! » Tue 13. May 2014, 23:25

Yeah, there's a flurry of activity and excitement at the moment so I also see little point contributing much until things calm down (which its beginning too). They're stated that the first thing they're focusing on is movement and they seem to be more so looking for feedback from the community rather than a particular direction which is encouraging to me.

Also, you don't have to pay monthly to access the engine. If you pay once you get the full engine (with source code) but don't get any updates until you pay again. So if you'd like to release/develop a map you'd pay once for the engine and (perhaps) again when you're about to release it to make sure it works normally. I think I'm going to do that myself when the core gameplay is established.

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Post by Wormbo » Sat 17. May 2014, 07:16

If you want to get heard, I recommend (cross-)posting your idea/analysis/whatever in the new UT forum on BeyondUnreal. The Epic folks supposedly read it as well and it doesn't suffer from an invasion of "I want to post my opinion, although it is essentially identical to what has been posted numerous times before" spam.

elect
Description: Srly? Are u kidding me?

New UT will be free and built from scratch

Post by elect » Fri 30. May 2014, 13:55

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Post by EmanReleipS » Sun 1. Jun 2014, 11:13

That looks like they just used the shock from UT3. Oh well, seems like they are still at the very beginning, so no reason for me to start complaining (yet).
NEW IP:

Droopy_Bollocks
Description: Gets the job done quietly

Post by Droopy_Bollocks » Sun 1. Jun 2014, 17:38

Most disappointing thing I've seen so far is that they've already made the decision to keep the minigun!

There's even a discussion ongoing about actually INCREASING the flak cannons effective range - WTF???? how about making it more of a benefit to those of us who actually bother to aim??

:blahblah:
Don't bother asking - I won't answer.

Silence is a virtue, not a weakness

Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England » Sun 1. Jun 2014, 18:21

Get rid of the flak gun and bring back the ripper.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

[P]etya

Post by [P]etya » Mon 2. Jun 2014, 15:05

Cat1981England wrote:Get rid of the flak gun and bring back the ripper.
Ripper was considered one of the most useless weapons, though I can barely remember it. :D

I think Flak Gun should be kept. After all more weapons never hurt. :D So I think both of them can be presented at the same time.
Droopy_Bollocks wrote:Most disappointing thing I've seen so far is that they've already made the decision to keep the minigun!

There's even a discussion ongoing about actually INCREASING the flak cannons effective range - WTF???? how about making it more of a benefit to those of us who actually bother to aim??

:blahblah:
Well Flak Cannon is good as in UT2004 so I don't think that it is necessary to increase it's efficiency, after all it can instantly kill players.
And to make an efficient use of the Flak Cannon, one needs to aim, because spamming the projectiles while the target is far away from you is just dumb. :D

Personally I think that the Shock Rifle should be revised. I think combos in UT2004 are a bit overpowered even for an unreal game :D. I preferred the combos in UT99, because they didn't have ohmahgad blast radius and core's travelling speed was also fast, making shock combos a bit harder to make.

As for the minigun. This weapon is only annoying when it is held by player, who can keep his/her crosshair all time on the target and firing all the time. :D On the other hand Link Gun's secondary attack tends to restrict (I don't know a better word for it :lol:) the movement of target, making it easier to aim at.

Before you throw rocks at me, as you usually do, realize that these are just my opinions and instead of flaming khm khm I made a polite comment which explains my thoughts about certain things. :P