Strange happenings in UT2004

UT2004 related discussions
Droopy_Bollocks
Description: Gets the job done

Re: Strange happenings in UT2004

Postby Droopy_Bollocks » Fri 30. May 2014, 21:57

Hi Zon,

Nope your temps are nice, I think the problem is simply lack of memory - most likely not being able to reallocate quickly enough to keep up with requests and causing problems supplying the GPU thus the framebuffer is starved.

Obviously UT crashes, normally through GP errors of failing to free allocated memory but they're not unusual considering it's running on OS that didn't exist when it was written.

2gb is the minimum level for Win 8, 4gb is considered normal and 8gb+ is recommended.

Other things could be out of date directX setup, and make sure to update your GPU's Catalyst version (14.4)

I'm pretty surprised Sykrim runs at all in 2gb tbh :-/

DB
Don't bother asking - I won't answer.

I'm not ignorant, just finding being quiet stops me getting a bollocking ;-)

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Fri 30. May 2014, 23:11

laboRHEinz wrote:This player highlighting has been enabled server-side on CEONSS for a while. Partly as an approach to compensate the otherwise not (whitelisted) available bright skins. However, this stock highlighting didn't help much as to player visibility. It just looks like errrm, cough, please allow me this inappropriate comparison... like players wearing candles out of their arses :lol: So I've disabled the highlighting again many months ago (don't recall the exact date). The LAN-server was a former original CEONSS machine on which this highlighting obviously wasn't disabled yet (sorry :p ). Zon3r's pic must be several months old then ;)

Oh, it is still working for me. :think: Oh well, I like it this way, even though it looks like.....butt highlighting. :lol:

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Postby laboRHEinz » Fri 30. May 2014, 23:27

Whoopsie, it's not only server-side then? Didn't know that, never changed anything client-side yet. Okay, it's never too late to learn ;)

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Postby EmanReleipS » Sat 31. May 2014, 01:15

laboRHEinz wrote:Whoopsie, it's not only server-side then? Didn't know that, never changed anything client-side yet. Okay, it's never too late to learn ;)

Thanks to Zony, I managed to find it for offline gaming. If you go to Instant Action and then Onslaught, then to the settings and check advanced options, you can select player highlighting....only that it is still deactivated for me, but everyone glows nonetheless. :wtf: :lol:

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Postby EmanReleipS » Tue 3. Jun 2014, 22:48

Hm....okay, now it's definitely turned off online for me as well.....can we have it back? *big puppy eyes*
Players in the dark are extremely hard to see now.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Wed 4. Jun 2014, 04:55

EmanReleipS wrote:Hm....okay, now it's definitely turned off online for me as well.....can we have it back? *big puppy eyes*
Players in the dark are extremely hard to see now.

Playing on Aggressive alleys it's literally impossible to see enemies in the dark, it sucks big time. i'm at a node thats light up, then someone starts shooting at me from the dark, i can only shoot back blindly in the direction of enemy fire. so can we get it back please? some skins are hard to see by default, especially some robot skins. i don't want to have forced characters

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Wed 4. Jun 2014, 15:21

Zon3r wrote:Playing on Aggressive alleys it's literally impossible to see enemies in the dark, it sucks big time. i'm at a node thats light up, then someone starts shooting at me from the dark, i can only shoot back blindly in the direction of enemy fire. so can we get it back please? some skins are hard to see by default, especially some robot skins. i don't want to have forced characters

No offense, but how can one say such things who see everything on Spank? :P That map is way darker than Aggressive alleys!

Zon3r

Postby Zon3r » Wed 4. Jun 2014, 15:56

spankjox is light up like a Christmas tree, it's only an illusion cause the background is dark(or it was because the player highlightning was on so it was easy to see enemies), As i said there are skins that are really hard to see in dark. now, aggressive alley has those very dark alleys. here take a look at these pics, no i didnt altered the gamma to be darker.

Cathode is one of the hard-to-see skins. now, enemies dont have team beacons above their heads :D and they are not standing around for me to shoot them

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Wed 4. Jun 2014, 16:02

Well expect that Cathode and Matrix will be hard to notice when the environment tends to use darker colours :D Especially when the players who use these chararacters are in the blue team.

However I haven't had problems with seeing the enemies on Aggressive Alleys. I still think that SpankJox is worse in this case, because the colour of the environment makes blue team players harder to notice.

As I have said the best solution would be adding UTComp, which comes with brightskins.

Zon3r

Postby Zon3r » Wed 4. Jun 2014, 16:09

Yes utcomp would be awesome, there is just a tiny problem with its security :D

Return to “General”