Problem with Internet connection

UT2004 related discussions
Degrek Phantoka
Description: The UT2004 not-so-n00b player

Problem with Internet connection

Post by Degrek Phantoka » Fri 29. Aug 2014, 22:26

Today, Friday, I've tried to join CEONSS following my traditional Friday fraggening (frag+evening, duh!) and a message popped out saying that Windows Firewall didn't allow UT2K4 to access Internet services. So, I checked the Control Panel if something was wrong and oh joy!, the program actually was included in the list of exceptions.
And the thing is that I could connect to servers till yesterday! Does anybody know WTF is happening here?

Cat1981England

Re: Problem with Internet connection

Post by Cat1981England » Fri 29. Aug 2014, 22:52

Nothing has been added server side over the last few days.

Have you installed any windows updates?
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

[P]etya

Post by [P]etya » Fri 29. Aug 2014, 22:58

These things are completely random when it comes to UT2004. The game is good, but sometimes it gets unpredictable issues. :D I can imagine that the firewall kept ignoring the game even if it was on the list until that day. It is also possible that when you downloaded a map or something, the feature triggered it. So there are quite many possibilities.

Degrek Phantoka

Post by Degrek Phantoka » Sat 30. Aug 2014, 01:05

Cat1981England wrote:Nothing has been added server side over the last few days.

Have you installed any windows updates?
Yes I did, now that you mention it. Do you know how to fix that up? It'd be a pity if I had to reinstall the game again :)

Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England » Sat 30. Aug 2014, 08:32

Well first thing I would do is disable your firewall just to confirm that it is the problem. If it works re-enable and go to the firewall "Advanced Settings" - "Inbound Rules" - "UT2004" - "Properties" - "Protocols and Ports" and make sure "Protocol Type" is set to UDP and that "Local Port" and "Remote Port" are set to All Ports. If that doesn't work try removing the existing UT2004 rule and creating a new one. If it still doesn't work it must be an update or program that has recently been installed. The easiest way to work out what's wrong would simply be trial and error. Disable/uninstall programs/updates that have been installed or updated since the start of this problem one by one until you find the culprit.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Degrek Phantoka

Post by Degrek Phantoka » Sat 30. Aug 2014, 13:38

Cat1981England wrote:Well first thing I would do is disable your firewall just to confirm that it is the problem.
Yeah! That worked! I had a bit of a problem deactivating it 'cause it was controlled by McAffee firewall, but finally I could join CEONSS. Thanks again, Catty :) !

Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England » Sun 31. Aug 2014, 16:56

So do you have McAffee firewall activated?