Help!

UT2004 related discussions
MikeFiend
Description: Maryland, United States

Help!

Post by MikeFiend » Fri 19. Sep 2014, 22:54

Hey gang, what's up?

I'm having crazy issues while playing UT 2004. Major bugs. List includes: Weapon lockers won't give me any weapons. Or, when I get weapons and use my roller to sort through, all weapons disappear except for shield and pea shooter. Tops of firing vehicles are missing but still work...includes tank, rear turret in bender, paladin, etc. Primary weapons fire while in vehicle but you can't see them. Cicada won't use primary weapon, only secondary while in the 2 position (not pilot). No scoreboard. Can't distinguish between teammates or enemies (same color...neutral green). Can't text or see any text messages! This one sucks especially. The list goes on. I have the latest version of UT '04. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. For the record, I'm playing on an IBM ThinkPad. 8 gigs of RAM. Video card isn't a souped-up monster, just basic but newer and shouldn't have issues with a game that's 10 years old. You guys are the best. MF

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Re: Help!

Post by EmanReleipS » Fri 19. Sep 2014, 23:08

First thing I would try is reinstalling UT. Then the ECE bonus pack and the 3369 patch (in this order, since the patch fixes a bug in the bonus pack). You can find the links here.

Do these problems show up only on CEONSS or also on other servers? How is your internet connection in general?
NEW IP:

MikeFiend

Post by MikeFiend » Fri 19. Sep 2014, 23:16

Well, I downloaded the game through Steam so I don't have the actual discs for a reinstallation. My internet connection is weak...I'm using a modem connection on a laptop. I've been told that Steam doesn't offer support for this game which has caused my hesitancy in contacting them.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Post by Pegasus » Fri 19. Sep 2014, 23:36

Hey Mike,

Most of the issues you describe sound like a particularly bad case of congested/faulty net connection. For one thing, you can verify that your hardware and installation aren't the problem simply by playing an offline match in Instant Action and checking that everything displays as it should; turrets, projectiles, team outfits, etc.. Additionally, you can try recycling your IP (if your ISP assigns you one dynamically, as is usually the case with xDSL cons, maybe with cable ones too), or just power cycling your router and seeing whether your online experience remains the same. Also logging on another server might help diagnose whether this is due to something acting up specifically with your transatlantic routing to CEONSS or if the problem is closer to your end and affects all kinds of performance-sensitive online gaming you're trying to do.

Lastly, all this is assuming that, to your knowledge, nothing on your setup has changed in the recent period and since you had last had a problem-free online experience on CEONSS; this includes playing location, ISP, PC and modem/router. I'm saying this because if the problem is owed to, say, a new modem/router you got from your provider that has some funky settings fed to it by default (like some QoS weirdness or an unusually small MTU size, or it's a set-top box kinda thing too and you got some extra TV content/service that's messing everything up), well, that's the kinda info that would help to know in advance to be able to better diagnose what's actually going on. Just by the sound of what you're describing though, to me this doesn't seem like an installation or performance-specific issue.
Eyes in the skies.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Post by Zon3r » Sat 20. Sep 2014, 04:51

I have encountered this before, it's a result of a very slow internet. the more players on the server, the symptoms are more severe. enable dynamic netspeed in the ingame settings. it can help alot

Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England » Sat 20. Sep 2014, 21:55

As other have said this seems to down to your net Mike.

Games are run server side as each client sends their data to the server, the server processes everything and then sends it back to the clients. On CEONSS this is done 25 times a second. If you don't receive one of these packets - or it's delayed - it simply won't show up in your game, this is why people see things such as rockets going through other players and not causing any damage or people receiving damage even though from their pov it missed them.

TBH there's nothing more we can do, there are limits in the game engine, 32 players from Western Russia to Eastern US at any one time.

I know this isn't a very helpful solution, but you should perhaps consider playing on a server closer to you such as OMNI or Death Warrant.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

MikeFiend

Post by MikeFiend » Sat 20. Sep 2014, 22:09

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions everyone! I did check on "dynamic netspeed" and that box was checked. A friend from CTC is going to help get me turned around and eventually I'm going to get my main rig up and running which will cure everything...the laptop connection was a last minute idea just to keep me from going into convulsive withdrawals ;) Thanks again, MF

[P]etya

Post by [P]etya » Sat 20. Sep 2014, 22:14

But ping of 140 shouldn't cause such problems. I also have 100+ ping on OMNI and I don't have such issues. It would be good if you told something about your PC and connection, maybe these information can provide the fix for it.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Post by Zon3r » Sat 20. Sep 2014, 23:57

its not a ping issue. it's like when you are trying to watch a video online for what 2Mb/s net speed is needed but you only have 1Mb/s

joeblow
Description: male gamer

Post by joeblow » Thu 16. Oct 2014, 01:09

well high ping can act like alot of what mike says.

What you might want to look for is packet loss. PL is what you sound like you have esp with the weapon locker no pickup. Believe it or not I get that alot on the DW server.

When in game you can use one of the F buttons,i think its 6 to see your net actions in the left corner. The packet loss will flash if its happening. FYI it is not cumulative so it will show 0 most of the time but flash our pl as a percentage. Really anymore the 2% youll start noticing odd behaviors in game.

Also if you look at the score using the ESC i think it will show yours and other PL.

One last thing you can do is play OFF line same map just to check out your rig and see if its a load issue.

Good luck.