Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Unreal Engine 4

Post by Maniac » Mon 2. Mar 2015, 19:39

Unreal Engine 4 gone free.
UNREAL ENGINE 4 IS FREE TO USE NOW.

https://www.unrealengine.com/

Unreal Engine is now FREE
FREE for game development. FREE for Virtual Reality.
FREE for education. FREE for architecture. FREE for film.

HOORAY F*^&$@#!NG HOORAY GET DRUNK EVERYBODY!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, how do you think, when shall we have Onslaught in UE4?

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: Unreal Engine 4

Post by Pegasus » Mon 2. Mar 2015, 21:17

1. Moving the thread to the General section as this doesn't have anything to do with any specific UT2004/ONS project under development. Come to think of it, this doesn't have anything to do with UT2004 either, but I think there's enough relevance in this bit of news to justify some leeway in that direction for now.

2. A sensible first step from Epic's part, but still a long way to go from here to them acknowledging that the general UE4 SDK is too broad and unworkable a substitute for an actual editor packaged together with the next UT iteration whenever, or if, that comes out. Also, a commitment to developing in-house a bigger proportion of UT4's planned content than previously indicated seems at this point more or less necessary to regain much of the confidence from the franchise's playerbase that's been squandered due to their previous decisions (and PR handling) up till now IMO. Stop waiting for ppl to flock to your construction site with their own skills and hard hats to build the game for you as independent volunteers, expand your dedicated team already, roll up your sleeves and get to work! Assuming, that is, you want the PC gaming audience to continue believing the ongoing project is a full-fledged game instead of just some vaporous promotional material tied to your latest piece of middleware that's intended for the usual clients, corporate or otherwise.

Oh, look, another cynical mini-rant out of nowhere...
Eyes in the skies.

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Post by Maniac » Mon 2. Mar 2015, 21:36

Ok, let's put the discussion here. What I hope to see in CC one day is a thread about current state of UT 2004 + ONS replica on Unreal Engine 4, but I admit, it's too early now.

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Post by Dalyup! » Tue 3. Mar 2015, 20:53

I bought the subscription with the intention of starting to develop Onslaught (job searching has distracted me) so I'll get my money back which is it nice. I did so because it almost feels like at this rate they'll never do it; also because I may as well get in early and learn UE4 for modding. I know they want to get the core mechanics down and whatnot first but it would be nice if they expanded their team from like six people or however many they are. I feel like they might be relying too much on the community right now, who mostly seem to produce (impressive) art assets. Hopefully that will change as the year goes on and perhaps other developers are released from the secret projects they're probably doing.

Yeah, I do hope they package an editor in with the full game but with UE4 being free I doubt they will. From my shallow dip into the editor and code it does not seem too difficult to understand, but I've not waded in that far yet.