How to extract UT files from the cache

UT2004 related discussions
laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

How to extract UT files from the cache

Post by laboRHEinz »

When connecting to an UT2004-server, usually there are several files downloading automatically before you can join it, e.g. custom maps, textures, static meshes etc.
Sometimes you might want to have those files installed to your UT, e.g. if you want to play the custom maps in offline mode. Therefore you need to extract the files from your cache. This is a little how-to:
Either extract the files manually as described here or download an UT cache extractor, e.g. UT2004MI or }TCP{Cocos CacheExtractor. If your PC runs with WinXP, all is fine and just follow the instructions described there. If you're running WinVista or Win7, it's a bit tricky to set the directories (both extractors have been coded for 2000/XP).

Note: Before you can even see the Virtual Store in Vista/7, you have to make the hidden folders visible in your Windows Explorer!

Here's an example how Cocos CacheExtractor has to be configured:
  • UT2004 Cache directory: C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 2004\Cache
  • Destination directory: C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Set the UT game directory: -> Settings -> Configure UT 2004 game directory -> Uncheck "The UT2004 game directory is the parent of the Cache directory" then set the path to C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Go on like you would on WinXP how to extract the files you want to be installed
  • As an option, you may cut and paste the extracted files from the virtual store to the main UT game directory
I hope, I didn't forget an important step, if so, just ask here.
Good luck!
Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Re: How to extract UT files from the cache

Post by Zon3r »

Some of you may know about this, but i bet alot of you don't. I have found a good cache extractor. the above mentioned ones never worked for me, so i was using UT2004CacheExtractor, it's a java program, that unfortunately stopped working after installing 64bit java. so i was extracting manually slow and boring process. But now i have found this, it's not perfect, but it does the job
-FuNkY-MoNk-UK-

Post by -FuNkY-MoNk-UK- »

How to i add mutators using UT2004MI ? Have used it to install maps for ages but never mutators. Would really like the hitsound mutator when playing offline.
Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Post by Zon3r »

The hitsound that you are referring is a server side mutator, i was using utcomp but it started killing my FPS for some reason. now i'm using this one, it's lightweight

XxxXCompv1b

There is also another one SGL hitsounds, but i didn't liked it's sound
Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Post by Pegasus »

After using it for quite a few years without so much as a hitch and having tried and deemed many other cache manager/extractor utilities as less useful, I've come to swear by UT Cache Manager's name - a brilliant, compact and useful little proggy by Chris Oldwood (aka gort). Dunno if it runs on Win7 (edit: yup, it does), but it has no need for additional support like Java or .NET platform resources. Its appearance may be a bit more oldschool than flashy, but trust me, when it comes to what matters most (sorting flexibility, copying, moving, installing, deleting and multi-game/profile support) it really shines through. One thing it doesn't do is dependency checking (which is where Optimus_P-Fat's better app, UTDeps, comes into play), but the few other counterparts that do are definitely not better overall, so UTCacheMgr still gets my vote and recommendation.

Btw, P-Fat's CacheMaster doesn't seem to be able to manage even going through the first 10% of my cache (>1200 files) without constantly crashing :/.

While there are exceptions, usually getting a mutator to run in local/offline sessions is as easy as sticking its .u and .ucl files (and also any .ini or .int files it may require) in UT's System subfolder, as well as any additional resources in the corresponding subdirs, setting up a match from Instant Action and dragging said mutator in the Actives' list from the Mutators tab. I dunno if this is the kinda content you're trying to enable through UT2004MI, Funky, but I think what that prog can actually "install" are .ut4mod files. Let us know if you still have problems with this though.
Eyes in the skies.