Running UT2004 on Windows 10

UT2004 related discussions
Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Re: Running UT2004 on Windows 10

Postby Xac » Tue 13. Oct 2015, 09:41

Stoneboy wrote:After I reloaded the game I could not play. I found an old install on a different partition and got the game to start. However, it is pretty dark and I can't adjust the contrast within the game.

I moved the files to my primary partition, no change.

Got some good frags for the first time in almost a month, still working on the darkness of the maps.

The quality of the game is pretty good- maps and textures look great (but dark) and I was able to turn up the settings to the highest levels with no degradation of speed.

I appreciate any assistance with the contrast, I will post if I find anything else.

Thanks!

That's the problem I have, the maps are dark and you can't adjust gamma, brightness or contrast.
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

EmanReleipS
Administrator
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Fri 25. Dec 2015, 19:37

Hey peeps,

so...I got a laptop for Christmas (yay!), buuuuut.... I keep getting the "your CD key is invalid" error. I reinstalled at least 5 times. I checked my registry and had CCleaner fix any issues (the key was correct, though). I copied the default UT2004.ini and user.ini and renamed them to user.ini and ut2004.ini (cause the game never started and I therefore didn't have those files). I copied my little bro's working ut2004.ini.

The only thing that removed this error was renaming the UT2004.exe to UT2004x.exe. However, now I get the same error as Xac a while back (page 2). The reducemouselag=false and startupfullscreen=false fixes didn't help.

Code: Select all

Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2196 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (4256)

LockRect failed: D3DERR_DEVICELOST

History: UD3DRenderDevice::ReadPixels <- UD3DRenderDevice::Present <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I got it to run once after renaming....can't figure out how I did that. Couldn't reproduce it.

I've been trying to fix this for several hours now. Any suggestions?

[P]etya
Description: someone

Postby [P]etya » Fri 25. Dec 2015, 19:59

An easy way to fix that issue is running the game in OpenGL mode:
1. Open ut2004.ini
2. Find the engine section
3. Modify it in this way so it will look like this:
[Engine.Engine]
;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice

You can also fiddle with older DirectX versions, but that has a chance of failing, due to the newer DirectX versions.

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Postby EmanReleipS » Fri 25. Dec 2015, 20:36

[P]etya wrote:An easy way to fix that issue is running the game in OpenGL mode:
1. Open ut2004.ini
2. Find the engine section
3. Modify it in this way so it will look like this:
[Engine.Engine]
;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice

You can also fiddle with older DirectX versions, but that has a chance of failing, due to the newer DirectX versions.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm afraid I still get the "invalid CD key" error with the UT2004.exe (not renamed) and the same error as before with the renamed .exe.

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Fri 25. Dec 2015, 20:49

So the CDKey problem persists. The only thing I can think of that something within the registry is faulty. I know you checked it, but there is a program designed specifically for UT2004. It is called UT2kx Regcheck: http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads.ph ... le&id=3465 . Try running this, maybe it will fix it. Do you have steam or not-steam version?

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Postby EmanReleipS » Fri 25. Dec 2015, 20:58

[P]etya wrote:So the CDKey problem persists. The only thing I can think of that something within the registry is faulty. I know you checked it, but there is a program designed specifically for UT2004. It is called UT2kx Regcheck: http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads.ph ... le&id=3465 . Try running this, maybe it will fix it. Do you have steam or not-steam version?

I tried that as well, this is what it says.

UT reg fixer.jpg

I tried using the "restore" function, but I'm having issue with the program. It's complaining that the path to the game is wrong. I tried entering the path with and without spaces (used "_" instead). *frustration*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Fri 25. Dec 2015, 21:19

I see. Well I have one final idea in mind. Remove all traces of UT2004 (every file and every registry key related to it) from your PC and reinstall it. There are programs which are designed to remove other programs including all traces of that very program. Revo Uninstaller is such program. Its freeware version is enough for it, so there is no need to buy the professional version (you can download the trial version, but the freeware version is enough I guess). Revo Uninstaller: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html

I suggested this, because conventional uninstallation leaves leftovers which may cause interferences if you install that program back and may mess up the program completely.

If this fails too, then I think that something is corrupted within the installator (this only applies if you aren't using the steam version and you have the game on CD/DVD, which may expire sooner or later and will malfunction)
-In this case you can try to get the things required for the installation via the internet (torrent). You have the CD key, you only need the files for the installation.

The Steam version related one is discussed here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/13230/di ... 202540508/

I'll keep searching on the internet for any other possible solutions, but currently these are the ones I found and had in mind.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Fri 25. Dec 2015, 22:19

The key is correct you say, have you checked it manually? the location is slightly different on win10 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004

Wormbo
Description: Coding Dude

Postby Wormbo » Fri 25. Dec 2015, 22:22

Do yourself a favor an never ever install UT2004 anywhere under Program Files, but e.g. directly under the root of your C: drive.

EmanReleipS
Administrator

Postby EmanReleipS » Sat 26. Dec 2015, 13:01

It woooooorrrrkkkksssssssssss! :yippiiieh:

[P]etya wrote:I see. Well I have one final idea in mind. Remove all traces of UT2004 (every file and every registry key related to it) from your PC and reinstall it. There are programs which are designed to remove other programs including all traces of that very program. Revo Uninstaller is such program. Its freeware version is enough for it, so there is no need to buy the professional version (you can download the trial version, but the freeware version is enough I guess). Revo Uninstaller: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html

Thanks for your help, Pet! I used the Revo Uninstaller and then reinstalled the game.

Zon3r wrote:The key is correct you say, have you checked it manually? the location is slightly different on win10 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004

Yeah, I did that and it was okay, but I also tried changing the key to lower case letters.

Wormbo wrote:Do yourself a favor an never ever install UT2004 anywhere under Program Files, but e.g. directly under the root of your C: drive.

That seems to have been the issue. I reinstalled it to C:\Unreal Tournament 2004 and it never gave me the CD key error.
I recall having had the same issue when I installed it on my home PC (where it's installed in D:\Games or so). I don't remember how I eventually got it to work, but this now is an easy fix. Thank you, Wormby! o:o

Return to “General”