Cas free CDKey offer discussion

UT2004 related discussions
-Nick-

Re: UT2004 $5

Postby -Nick- » Sat 26. Nov 2016, 20:13

Miauz55555 wrote:Cut the former discussion out by request. *****

Absolutely unbelievable.

By resquest from who? At least say who it was. This could have been taken privatly, absolutly no need to delete the whole disscusion. With the nature of my concern which no one has explained why it is allowed, or even that i was chatting bubbles. I'm baffled that this hasn't actually been disscused fully, and the whole lot has just been disregarded and deleted. Can a member request a whole disscussion to be removed when there is an vaild concern and disscusion invovled? If I'm not in the wrong, which i havn't been told i am - my concern/posts should not have been deleted just because a member wants it to be.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 26. Nov 2016, 20:42

Nick, this is a simple mistake. The feeling was that the topic had moved away from the purpose of this thread, and the discussion has simply been moved to the wrong section of the forum - not deleted. It will be moved to a new thread asap :thumbup:

The only part of the discussion which was removed was Castiel' link which is against the Forum rules and specifically the rule "Pirated copies and illegal software".
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

-Nick-

Postby -Nick- » Sat 26. Nov 2016, 22:31

Cat1981England wrote:The feeling was that the topic had moved away from the purpose of this thread, and the discussion has simply been moved to the wrong section of the forum - not deleted. It will be moved to a new thread asap :thumbup:

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't get the chance to check the thread yesterday to see Zoner's post in which i would have but two and two together when checking today. Must have looked at the thread and posted in the mist of that happening, or i need glasses.

Cat1981England wrote:The only part of the discussion which was removed was Castiel' link which is against the Forum rules and specifically the rule "Pirated copies and illegal software".

That's understood and initially from pegs intervention made clear. My concern is that the games assests which Castiel has linked has been removed under the "Pirated copies and illegal software" rule. Shouldn't the essential code and open distribution bundled with the demeed pirated copy be taken in the same manner?

That seems to have been overlooked which is the reason for speaking up.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 26. Nov 2016, 22:52

-Nick- wrote:That's understood and initially from pegs intervention made clear. My concern is that the games assests which Castiel has linked has been removed under the "Pirated copies and illegal software" rule. Shouldn't the essential code and open distribution bundled with the demeed pirated copy be taken in the same manner?

Well, when something is made public on the forum then it directly involves me because i'm liable for it (and thank you Peg for quickly dealing with it). If something is private, well, it's none of my business tbh and i never have and never will go through anyone PM's unless requested by someone such as Epic. As far as i'm concerned this is a third party issue.

I do have my own views on the matter and they are very similar to yours, but this is for everyone to discuss and comment on.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Miauz55555

Re: Cas free CDKey offer discussion

Postby Miauz55555 » Sun 27. Nov 2016, 00:08

I had composed an answere before I had cut it out. Here you go.
-Nick- wrote:So the CD-key generates a GUID which is authenticated by the CD-key[...]

Yes. Without a valid CD-Key the game will not generate a valid GUID. And without that the EpicMasterServer wouldn't let you connect.
[...]and vise versa? Like a two-step verification?

No. You can't (with an aceptable among of time and work) recreate a CD-Key from a GUID. Imagine the CD-Key as 20 single salt cristals.. you throw them in a glas off salt water and the pruduct is your GUID. Now try to find exact the 20 salt cristals which you trowed in. It's very hard or?
The GUID is like a Nickname.. no one knows your real name (CD-Key). Until you get a spy (trojan) in your house, or let them read your private files. Btw. all this cool online verification things like steam are doing that.. Blizzard is the king in such things and will ban your hardware if they want.

What I mean with "only epic can that" was that without a valied CD-Key you can't connect to the masterserver and will not be able to play online. There are two differend things what was in that topic. First a maybe build in CD-key, jump over the internal validation, and so on in a file which would mean it is cracked. That is clearly not allowed.
The second thing was the offer from unused Keys. So that keys schould be valied because if not they are useles. What you can't proof is if the keys are warezed which is also not allowed.
But I just assume that they are clean as he said. Just because he is smart enough to know that if not that would be a crime. Regardless if someone cares or not.

A programm simply becomes warezed if you install your own copie on an other persons PC and you both use it. And it dosn't matter if you need a key or not thats simply for all software (every programm, e-book, musik, whatever) which is not free to use bye the rights owner. I personaly would also go so far that if you have a thing like "amazon prime" and gave an other person your paswort to whatch videos it is also warezed.. and if you buy an e-book, read it on a reader and hand it over to an other person.. just because it's digital. You see prety easy to get in jail? Till 5 years in germany.. for violence or robery the punishments are not so hard.. poor system.. :D Btw. it is also vorbidden to post a link to a Burningprogramm which is made for savety copies.. you are allowed to name it but not to post a link to it.. very easy to go on the "black side" when it comes to copieright for digital things in germany. On the other hand our gouverment seems to be allowed to buy stolen information (tax evader CD).. they make the laws how it fits for them and there "partners" best. Uhh.. bad topic and has nothing to do with the original one. ;)

However I fully agree with Cat that things which are going on in private are private and dosen't belong to the forum admins.

Btw. should we not move that topic to the "off topic" forum? It is more general than UT2004 related. Also when it was the starting point.

-Nick-

Re: Cas free CDKey offer discussion

Postby -Nick- » Wed 30. Nov 2016, 19:45

Cat1981England wrote:If something is private, well, it's none of my business tbh and i never have and never will go through anyone PM's unless requested by someone such as Epic.

Of course, that would be absurd. I did not expect or think that's what should have happened.

Right or wrong. I categorise the private distrubution of free, unproven cd keys in the same way as distrubuting a public priated copy. I don't look at the generosity or the potential wave of new players. The games cheap nowadays days. I look at the players already GUID banned or players already having a priated copy being able to get free cd keys. To me, a priated copy plus even a legit cd key voides the authenticity of the game. In this case the cd-keys cannot, or have not been proven, so really i would propose a ban so this cannot but done privatly. If this is deemed a third party issuse and your're okay with that then i can only retract.

Miauz55555 wrote:But I just assume that they are clean as he said.

And that was part of my concern. Before even giving the benefit of the doubt in a situation like this all ramifications should be looked at, not just allowed willy nilly.

Thanks for the detailed response of cd-keys, i think i understand it better :oops:

Also i think it would be right to particularly apologise to yourself for posting for so hastily whilst cutting posts.

Return to “General”