Communication during the game

UT2004 related discussions
L30nidaS
Description: gamer very hot

Communication during the game

Post by L30nidaS » Sat 28. May 2011, 22:52

Hi mates,
i like too much to play the ONS game on UT2K4 (the CEONSS is my favourite server), on first for the strategy mode and then for the team mode. But (is my thought) the communication into the team is improved, is necessary to coordinate the action of teammates, the goal is to destroy the central core, a move coordinate should get you a success. Farther i think that many players watching a good score rather than to win the match, of course is only a sensation of mine i would like to know your thought about it. I would like to create a knit team clan for to have a challenge net match.

Bye

L30

lilalurl

Re: Communication during the game

Post by lilalurl » Sat 28. May 2011, 23:16

L30nidaS wrote:Farther i think that many players watching a good score rather than to win the match, of course is only a sensation of mine i would like to know your thought about it
It is quite true that some players have a tendency to, rather than help their team, try and get the best score by doing things like waiting several seconds for a tank/ion tank/whatever powerful vehicle to spawn, whereas they could have done much more during this time.

Sadly, there is no real solution to that. Of course, the best thing would be to prove them that you can have an even better score than them by playing "normally" (for instance when you get one of the best score on maps like Bitchslap/Tripleslap without using a Goliath).

In case a map has some vehicles which tend to provoke too many unproductive behaviours (several players camping for the vehicle), please make a post about it. Then we can have someone make an edit of the map to try and solve the issue.

L30nidaS wrote: I would like to create a knit team clan for to have a challenge net match.
Knit? As in knitting?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knit

I don't think that's what you meant ;)

There was a plan to have a competitive team (to compete in clanbase matches I think).:
http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27
I think it was abandoned.

If that is the kind of thing you are looking for, perhaps you could ask gio if he is still interested. If you can find other people interested then maybe this time things could really get started.

L30nidaS

Post by L30nidaS » Sat 28. May 2011, 23:45

thanks x the reply and i'm sorry for "knit" :oops: maybe google translator need to have a reset my english is primitive and then i need to use a translator, however i wanted to say like a "friendly" in italian we say: "affiatato"

but how we make a good coordination team during the match? :think:

p.s. there's a chat channel where to share game experience? CEONSS have it?

Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England » Sun 29. May 2011, 11:33

Yeah there was talk of creating a team vs team competition, I did ask on the server a few times but not many people were up for it.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

lilalurl

Post by lilalurl » Mon 30. May 2011, 15:22

Cat1981England wrote:Yeah there was talk of creating a team vs team competition, I did ask on the server a few times but not many people were up for it.
Well, if there is also a knitting activity perhaps you can recruit some female members for the team ;)

I don't know if they would be interested but since we have some TCP players playing on the server from time to time and since they no longer have a team for the 3vs3 ONS CB league, maybe some of them could be interested in joining a CEONSS team?
LaboRHEinz might have an idea if that is the case or not.
L30nidaS wrote:thanks x the reply and i'm sorry for "knit" :oops: maybe google translator need to have a reset my english is primitive and then i need to use a translator, however i wanted to say like a "friendly" in italian we say: "affiatato"

but how we make a good coordination team during the match? :think:

p.s. there's a chat channel where to share game experience? CEONSS have it?
Hehe no worry, that was funny. Actually, the translation probably makes sense to a certain extent since knitting is tying together strings of wool (or another fabric) so one can understand the "bonding" analogy.

Channel:
Do you mean an IRC channel? As far as I know we don't have one, but I guess we could create a room on a public server. Not sure how many people would use it though.

Do you mean voice chat? It was activated at one time, but it had to be disabled because some people have been abusing it:
http://ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6 ... voice#p297

To coordinate a team, the main option is to use the team messages ingame. You can prepare some keybinds if you have some unused keys for messages you use often. For instance I have this one (I play VCTF from time to time):
Left=Teamsay Incoming Manta Run

However, in my opinion, coordination to the scale of a whole team is a bit difficult to achieve, especially because the team is usually separated on several fronts.
I believe the best thing to coordinate with close-by team mates is to play again and again and learn. It may sound a bit stupid but only by getting used to the other players and helping each other can you reach a sort of "intuitive" coordination.

There are also some simple ways to communicate with other players. If you want somebody to wait for you (on a manta or in a vehicle with several seats) use you link gun.
Use the alt fire if you are close enough to link to the vehicle or the primary fire in case you are farther.

A civilized player (unless he has some lag) should see/hear that and therefore wait for you.
Be sure to use the link gun. Unlike the other weapons it won't give momentum to the vehicles.

Ofc, you may encounter some players who will play solo, no matter what you do and how friendly you try to be... :think:

Cat1981England

Post by Cat1981England » Mon 30. May 2011, 17:37

lilalurl wrote:I don't know if they would be interested but since we have some TCP players playing on the server from time to time and since they no longer have a team for the 3vs3 ONS CB league, maybe some of them could be interested in joining a CEONSS team?
Like i say, i've asked people and told them to google CEONSS but they never seem to get here. Perhaps in time once we have enough people on the forum there maybe enough to get something going.

Your not up for a little 3v3 are you? :D
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Post by laboRHEinz » Mon 30. May 2011, 18:21

Hi,
indeed, this topic pops up every now and then. Now L3o, what exactly are you asking for: Having the voice chat back or playing some scheduled matches? For the latter one we'd have our match server. Though I'm afraid I have to admit, errrm, I could not activate it these days :oops: . Will be fixed soon I hope ;)
If you were asking for voice chat i.e. team speak we have a little problem: The UT-included voice chat is disabled because nobody used it for team coordination but just for fun or to fool around and bother his team mates with useless remarks or even worse with e.g. playing some ****ing music on the team channel. Apparently, public voice chat can not be enabled on an european ONS server. I know voice chat being quite helpful on the US servers where players really USE and don't ABUSE it. But in Europe, the players either are too shy to speak english or abuse it as mentioned...
The only way to get around this problem would be to have a dedicated and password protected team speak server. Do you want me to look for this and let it run? Should be no problem and I'm all for it (I once planned it myself) - though I'm focussing on solving our neverending lag issues ATM (seeeecret project BTW ;-) )

lilalurl

Post by lilalurl » Mon 30. May 2011, 20:01

Cat1981England wrote:Like i say, i've asked people and told them to google CEONSS but they never seem to get here. Perhaps in time once we have enough people on the forum there maybe enough to get something going.

Your not up for a little 3v3 are you? :D

I'll ask Carnage (TCP leader) if I can post a recruitment thread on their forums. *

As for me, unfortunately I don't always have enough time to dedicate myself as much as playing in CB would require.
However, if you ever need a substitute for a match, then you can count me in (supposing I am available the day the match takes place).

*: Edit: Done. Let's hope some of them show interest:
http://www.tcpclan.net/phpforum/viewtopic.php?t=3619

L30nidaS

Post by L30nidaS » Mon 30. May 2011, 21:13

Now L3o, what exactly are you asking for: Having the voice chat back or playing some scheduled matches?
both cases Labor, but i agree with your thought: the european people was not adult for not make a chat abuse, on second the idea to play a match on a dedicated and password server is a great idea as much as a idea to create a CEONSS team and for many players, to join this board for to have a conversation about a topic.

Thanks to lilalurl for what suggested ;)

for the channel: i thought a IRC channel, maybe after to have create a CEONSS team ;)

thanks to all

L30

laboRHEinz
Administrator
Description: Old Fart

Post by laboRHEinz » Mon 30. May 2011, 22:43

Ha! great idea lila! Having a team with some TCPs together would be great! As you know, the TCP 32P server was my first and favorite public ONS server I played on :D