"Unregs" ?`

UT2004 related discussions
RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

"Unregs" ?`

Postby RottenToTheCore » Fri 27. Jan 2017, 12:57

Hi,

just wanted to start this topic to discover the term "unregs" (unregistered shots in UT2004), often due to bad connection or server performance. Where do unregs come from? Under which conditions do they appear?

I used to smile at players who told about unregs, like "haha, when i got a bad day, i also get many 'unregs' ;) ", as i never experienced those in the first years of playing ut2004, but more and more in the recent past.

I never had lg/shock shots who "should have hit but didn't", but VERY frequently direct flakhits on tanks (when the tank is so near that it should be impossible to miss, as it fills nearly your whole screen) that "missed".

What's your experience with that?

ThunderCat
Description: Swiggity swooty

Re: "Unregs" ?`

Postby ThunderCat » Fri 27. Jan 2017, 13:59

Yeah I've noticed this phenomenon a few times as well (if what you're describing is the same thing I've experienced).

This seems to be happening most frequently to me when I'm in a vehicle. Especially something with a cannon.

For example -- I can be in a tank hitting targets left and right. Then out of nowhere a scorpion rolls up and crash right into me. Now, this isn't a big whoop. You just neutralize it before it covers you with the sticky icky. EXCEPT -- even if my barrel is aiming straight into his face at point blank -- poof! Nothing. The sound is there. But no blast, no damage.

I know that if you're on a hill or in a curve the crossfire might get skewed and thus making your aim unreliable (especially if you're zoomed in) -- but this can happen even if both of you are on a flat surface.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

"Unregs" ?`

Postby Zon3r » Fri 27. Jan 2017, 16:57

It is not really common, but 90% of the time it happens when i'm in a tank and hit a flying vehicle, it's most common when hitting raptors(they are slow and easy to hit). last night had few hits like that on gunshop. also a nice example of an unregistered hit can be seen in this video i made awhile back

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Postby Dalyup! » Fri 27. Jan 2017, 19:39

I have also experienced this, both on CEONSS and other servers. Like Zoner said, it's a rare phenomenon but when it does happen it can be frustrating.

From what I understand, it's basically a lag between what the client thinks should happen and what the server thinks did happen. The server will tell the (player) clients that a tank shot is fired from whatever angle and all the clients will show that a shot is fired and display the path. Since the code for all the clients is the same it will look the same for everyone. From the client's point of view, when the shot collides with something it will presume that a collision/hit will occur and simulate an explosion. But, presumably, the server has to agree with any hits and if it doesn't nothing happens to the player, even though it looked like it did on your screen.

This is all conjecture, but I think that's the general idea. It's nothing to do with CEONSS in particular, I have seen it much worse on other servers.

ThunderCat
Description: Swiggity swooty

Postby ThunderCat » Fri 27. Jan 2017, 23:18

On a similar note -- some times I have noticed that when I sneak up on an enemy node that is being healed/linked -- the trail/rope line connecting the link gun to the node doesn't always show up.

There's a few nodes where you're able to approach them undetected, e.g around a corner or behind a door, where both you and the enemy are able to have a visual on the node but not necessarily each other.

Occasionally if somebody on the opposite team is healing or building a node you're approaching -- you can establish your opponents location behind a wall or a door based on that link gun trail/rope line.

This usually happens to me if I spot the node before I spot the enemy currently healing/building the node I'm sneaking up on. I can clearly see the node being healed -- but the link rope is inviscible -- up until I round the corner and spot the enemy. After that the "rope" will appear as normal.

Gaffer
Description: Total arse

"Unregs" ?`

Postby Gaffer » Sat 28. Jan 2017, 10:27

Zon3r wrote:It is not really common, but 90% of the time it happens when i'm in a tank and hit a flying vehicle, it's most common when hitting raptors(they are slow and easy to hit). last night had few hits like that on gunshop. also a nice example of an unregistered hit can be seen in this video i made awhile back

Back when I was blatantly hacking :ghehe:

Return to “General”