CEONNS competition

Match event
Steinein

CEONNS competition

Postby Steinein » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 16:48

Hey all,

I was wondering if you guys ever organise an evening on which you have a little competition with CEONNS regulars?
For example, you set up 2 teams, have the teams have their own skype conversation, and duke it out between each other for a couple of matches?

If not, I think it would be fun to set a date (probably in a weekend or a friday evening), make 2 premade teams on the forum, put a password on the server for the evening and just have fun.
Voice chat (Skype because it is easier) in a public server is a bad idea, but for an evening with regulars it could be fun. You could create a little strategy with your team. And after a few matches with the same team, you can work together better.
Loser gets to pick the next map etc.

It would be like a little clan war, but then without any clan :)

Did you already do something like this in the past? And Cat, would it be possible to put a password on the server for a few hours if there are enough people willing to participate?

Let me know your thoughts,

Stein

[P]etya

Re: CEONNS competition

Postby [P]etya » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 18:24

A little friendly competition never hurts. :thumbup: The decision lies in the hands of Cat and the others though.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 20:10

Hmm. Well, passwording the server, especially on a Friday or during the weekend, for the benefit of a determined group looking to have a fun tourney, even though the entirety of said group may not even be guaranteed to attend throughout the cordoned-off period, could come across as a baffling or even aggravating action in the eyes of everyone else just looking to have a few normal ggs during that time and thus could prove a counterproductive move for the server. Still, we do have a secondary server that on occasion has been used for all kinds of testing purposes, so maybe that might be a better approach to consider with this proposal. It won't be able to manage full 32p play either, but that's the only alternative I can think of.

EmanReleipS
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 21:14

I've heard the Boss entertain the idea of a match like that a couple of times. Trying that on the main server would be bad for the reason that Peg has stated, but a small group could play on the testing server. Would be a fun thing for sure!

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 21:26

But how would we make the teams? making a balanced team is not easy, cause it can't be the same on a vehicle or NV map. we ceonss players know each other, each others skill, we can pretty much guess the outcome based on the players in each team, before even the match starts

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 21:30

I don't think that an ONS competition needs more than 10 or 12 slots. ONS is usually played as 5v5 or 6v6, but I have even heard of 4v4 and 3v3 matches.

Steinein

Postby Steinein » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 22:12

Pegasus wrote:Hmm. Well, passwording the server, especially on a Friday or during the weekend, for the benefit of a determined group looking to have a fun tourney, even though the entirety of said group may not even be guaranteed to attend throughout the cordoned-off period, could come across as a baffling or even aggravating action in the eyes of everyone else just looking to have a few normal ggs during that time and thus could prove a counterproductive move for the server. Still, we do have a secondary server that on occasion has been used for all kinds of testing purposes, so maybe that might be a better approach to consider with this proposal. It won't be able to manage full 32p play either, but that's the only alternative I can think of.

I understand, that makes sense. Would the secondary server be good enough for maybe 12 or 16p?

Zon3r wrote:But how would we make the teams? making a balanced team is not easy, cause it can't be the same on a vehicle or NV map. we ceonss players know each other, each others skill, we can pretty much guess the outcome based on the players in each team, before even the match starts

If one of the teams seems really unbalanced during playing we could switch 2 players. But as long as the most skillful players won't get together in the same team, I think it won't be that big of a problem. Ofcourse, if you play a NV map, it would be nice to have Funky in your team ;) but with some good teamwork (go 2 on 1 with Funk for example) you can still make it happen.
I think the battle will be more about who has the best tactics (go for the right nodes, isolate enemy nodes etc.)
Besides, if the loser gets to pick the next map: For example if you lose on NV maps, don't choose them.

But I get your point that we do have to think the teams through.
Last edited by Steinein on Mon 18. Aug 2014, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

Karma_geddon
Description: from Italy

Postby Karma_geddon » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 23:01

I'd really like to do this! :D

The teams are a major issue here, of course. I suppose that, if we manage to schedule the match properly and to know who will attend with precision, we could prepare the teams in advance. Maybe the ingame admins could help us with the creation of a couple of (almost) balanced teams.

Also, let's not forget that the effectiveness of a player might depend on the kind of map. For example, I can do well enough in NV or very tight map, and I can also do pretty well with a Paladin, but I'm very mediocre in everything that stays in the middle of these "^^
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 18. Aug 2014, 08:47

As Peg and Ema already pointed out, using the main server is a big no, but you could certainly use the testing server. You would need to organise this amongst yourselves and decide on the teams and maps beforehand. If you know what maps are going to be played you should be able to work out what the teams should be, but if you needed to balance the teams ingame that would be as simple as one player joining spec while another swaps over. If you want one of the in-game admins to help out you would have to arrange that with them unless they are already playing of course.

Heinz did set up a match server a few years ago but we never managed to get the teams together, you'd probably have more luck this time as you would have teams from the community rather then from external clans and work colleagues. Based on my own experiences you would be better off arranging this for a Sunday as people tend to cancel at the last moment on Friday and Saturday nights. Also I think 5v5 would be your best bet if you wanted some genuinely competitive matches.

Let me know when you're ready :thumbup:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

EmanReleipS
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Mon 18. Aug 2014, 13:25

That's great, Boss! Thank you! :yippiiieh:

I'd suggest agreeing/setting a date first, since participation will most likely depend on when people have time. Then aske everyone interested to "sign up" here and form a list, cap it at 10 players. If not enough people sign up here on the forum before the set date, you (meaning Steiny) can also message people you would like to join or ask them on the server.

Next step would be either agreeing on a duration of the event (based on how long people have time/can stay awake) and then agreeing on a map list for that day. In that case the latter maps might not even be played.
Or you can make it a "best out of x matches" type of game and then it ends once we have played all the maps on the list. This option probably makes more sense, but I'd still suggest picking a number of maps that will hopefully make us stay within a certain time frame. Like...10 maps might just take way too long.

Then comes the fun part of actually agreeing on which maps to play. I can provide you with a list of our smaller maps, if that would help.

Return to “CEONSS Match Server”