April Fool's Match (Wed, April 1st)

Match event
EmanReleipS
Description: Pancake Fairy

April Fool's Match (Wed, April 1st)

Postby EmanReleipS » Sun 22. Mar 2015, 01:24

Yepp, it is time!

The next match event....will be on April, the 1st (Wednesday)*!
*unless everyone says they won't have time

The match will start around 8pm (UTC+1)/ 9pm (UTC+2).
Europe will change to summer time the weekend before the next match. Therefore UTC+1 will mean the time in Britain and UTC+2 will mean the time in Germany after switching to summer time.

Now, since it will be April Fool's Day, the map list will include the shittiest maps ever! Make your eyes, fingers and hearts bleed in an epic 2-hour game of insanity!

Map list:
- Spambox
- Draor
- Caelum (to relax)
- MassDestruction
- BiggerBeerBattle

Player list:
- Ema

Edit: new thread :D

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Re: CEONSS Match Event Organization (6th March?, see p. 37)

Postby Maniac » Sun 22. Mar 2015, 10:32

Niiiice...
I want to propose some maps for the list. They are not *the shittiest maps ever*, but they are still, ahem, "special" in some sense
- Anubis-Instagib
- BlockFort

And, count me in pls :)

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Sun 22. Mar 2015, 12:19

Anubis is good, not shit map, i like it, blockfort is a good headshot map too. Emas list is "good"(shitty maps, well spambox is good actually, and i have no idea which one is caelum :D )
*sigh* i'm gonna regret this *coughcertainindividualcough* but sign me up for this april fools special

EmanReleipS

Postby EmanReleipS » Sun 22. Mar 2015, 17:17

Maniac wrote:Niiiice...
I want to propose some maps for the list. They are not *the shittiest maps ever*, but they are still, ahem, "special" in some sense
- Anubis-Instagib
- BlockFort

And, count me in pls :)

I agree with Zony, Anubis isn't really shitty. We could include it, but I would suggest replacing Spambox, Draor, MassDestruction or BiggerBeerBattle with it. BlockFort could replace Caelum as the "relaxation" map in the middle of the event, where we can calm down a bit, bandage our bleeding wrists and fingers, and eat/drink. Caelum (it's the asteroid map with lots of raptors) is actually not a terrible map at all, but it would provide a welcome change of pace, I believe, which is why I added it.

How is this?

- Spambox
- Draor
- BlockFort (to relax)
- MassDestruction
- BiggerBeerBattle
- Anubis (if still time and people are still able to move)

Player list:
- Ema
- Mani
- Zony
- Gaffy

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: April Fool's Match (Wed, April 1st)

Postby Pegasus » Sun 22. Mar 2015, 20:55

Pardon the intrusion to your scheduling, but something in the introduction caught my attention and I had to ask:

EmanReleipS wrote:[...]the map list will include the shittiest maps ever![...]

Map list:
[...]
- BiggerBeerBattle

[...]

It's unclear whether this listing refers to the older BiggerBeerBattle version or the 2014 V2-K edit, but in either case, considering the kind of gameplay quality the former has been known to be able to deliver, and the amount of planning, forethought n' effort that I can attest was expended in the latter's case, one might wonder on what specific basis or insight the appraisal made above was reached, especially on the part of someone bearing as official a responsibility of evaluating n' managing content as an active g.mod.

To be clear, it's not so much the unexpected, justification-free or casual (possibly even unseemly) manner by which this assessment came into light that's caught me by surprise and is prompting my inquiry now. No, what concerns me more here is the possibility that my abstinence of a few short months might have impaired my capacity to perceive map quality by so much and so quickly that I may now be unable to wrap my head around a rating as apparently obvious as this one about BBB being one of "the shittiest maps ever", and even despite the constellation of potent names and images that a label as striking as this still invokes in my mind, among maps unseen by most for years, as well as some still present in CEONSS' roster. As such, any help towards allaying those fears and filling in the blanks for me from active staff members would be most appreciated here.

Respectfully, and with gratitude in advance,
P.

EmanReleipS

Postby EmanReleipS » Sun 22. Mar 2015, 22:04

Hey Peg, thanks for your input.

I know we personally have different opinions about BBB and I apologize if I have insulted your feelings. I know you have put a lot of work into BBB. I do tend to use hyperbolic speech, though, so please don't take the word "shittiest" too seriously.
Basically the idea was to use maps for this one event that don't offer a lot of strategic gameplay (MassDestruction has one node!), focus on close-quarter DM-style combat, and/or tend to turn very spammy (with one more "slow-pace" map in the middle that would provide a break from it). So basically I was looking for maps that are the opposite of what I'm usually looking for when I propose maps for the map list for this event. I've put the map list together after looking through the list of maps we are currently not hosting on the server, meaning I looked at which content was deemed not good enough (yet) to be on the server. (Since this violates the rules I put down for the match events, I asked Cat for his permission.) That does not mean I think BBB is the worst map I ever laid my eyes on or that I hate it. Do I think it could still be improved? Yes. But there are plenty of maps I think are worse. However, I was looking for a 4th DM-style map for the list in particular. Compared with Spambox, MassDestruction and Draor, BBB will offer the best gameplay by far. It could work nicely for 10 players, but I believe it could still turn spammy and difficult to move through the map's narrow tunnels. Just imagine Dally camping at one end.... BBB does fit the bill for close-quarter dueling that I was looking for, though, which is why it is on my list.
I'm open to any map suggestions to replace BBB and place a worse map in it's place. The maps I suggest are always subjective choices by me of what I consider to be suitable (or not) and I am more than willing to switch maps around, as I have done in the past.

(The version that I wanted to use during the match event would be ONS-BiggerBeerBattle-V2-K, as that is the latest version that was on the main server and therefore the version that our players will be most familiar with.)

joeblow
Description: male gamer

Postby joeblow » Mon 23. Mar 2015, 12:19

If i may suggest two other maps.

Barn war and Stairs are real dogs. Stairs esp with the 24 mine payout.

Im checking my social calendar Ema.

EmanReleipS

Postby EmanReleipS » Mon 23. Mar 2015, 14:31

joeblow wrote:If i may suggest two other maps.

Barn war and Stairs are real dogs. Stairs esp with the 24 mine payout.

Im checking my social calendar Ema.

I don't know those maps and haven't found them online. Do you have them on your PC or could you provide a download link?

There seem to be several versions online as well:
ONS Stairs of Doom X2
ONS Stairs of Doom X2 V2
and
ONS-BarnWars-RMD-1
ONS-BarnWars-RMD-1-Christmas
ONS-BarnWars-RMD-1-Halloween
ONS-BarnWars-Doublewide-RMD-1
ONS-BarnWars-Doublewide-RMD-1-Halloween

So far I picked maps out of those we have hosted on the server before, because they are easy to add to the maplist for this match. If it is a completely new (=never hosted before) map, Cat would need to upload it first. If you could provide a link, I can take a look at them and see if they are horrible enough (Stairs sound terrifying), but if Cat says nay to adding them, we will stick with the list we have so far. But thanks for the suggestions and I hope you can join us!

Btw, announcement:
We will also play with the big head and big wheels mutators. And there will be a little surprise! We will all look ridiculous! :lol:

Gaffer
Description: Total arse

Postby Gaffer » Mon 23. Mar 2015, 15:08

I actually really like the newest BBB :P
Of all the other maps originally posted I only know Spambox so I can only give my opinion on this one. While I do think Spambox will fill the chaos and spamfest requirements I also think that it wont be overly enjoyable because of the tiny size of the map and will be finished very quickly in any case. If that is the case for all the rest of the maps then sorry I might have missed the point. I think maps the size of BBB might be better so that one can at least move without getting 'tanked' right at the core.
Ema I will try to join but if my keyboard problem persists then I might leave as I will be useless to my team if I cant move. This being the case, if someone else wants to play and the server is full then it would be unfair of me to take the place, so just let me know :)
Thanks for setting this up though, I think its a great idea! Now if only we could get Cat on board with the jedi/sith robes :think:

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Postby Maniac » Mon 23. Mar 2015, 15:11

BigHead? Maybe BigHead + FatBoy?

Return to “CEONSS Match Server”