Friday, 29th of May

Match event
Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Re: Friday, 29th of May

Postby Maniac » Sat 30. May 2015, 07:48

Thanks for the match, it was a little bizarre, but I've almost enjoyed it. It wouldn't have been "almost" if not for my ping being 100-400 out of the blue :wtf:

Gunshop

Good rebuild, the only blot I've noticed is a bit unbalanced lighting. The key points like cores, tunnel and some nodes are really bright, whereas the map itself is pretty dark. I don't want it to be as bright as it was, but adding some lights in the dark corners to equalize the light level would be nice. Also, the vehicles on ground level (specifically in core-primaries region) are illuminated in a weird way (dark from one side, bright from other).

DutchTreat:

- 5 dmg to core is ridiculous, it may have worked on Anubis, where the core is in a room with spawn points and a chokepoint entrance, but it doesn't work here. I suggest lowering IG damage vs the core, because the map is open and it would (most likely) attacked pretty often;
- top level of the map is not used - all the nodes are on the ground, and it provides no benefit. I suggest moving some nodes to the elevations or to the caves;
- when moving between the side primaries, one is required to walk near the middle node as well. It moves all the action to the middle of the map, making the middle node way too important. I was thinking about adding a wall (so it is possible to just walk along the middle node area unnoticed) or splitting the middle node in 2 other nodes and placing them in the caves on the middle line.

SandStone:

It's questionable... The map idea and design is good, but it requires a lot of polish before moving it to the main server. Apart from what Daly said,
- the collision volumes are bitches on this map. The rocky parts with V-like pits where a ground vehicle can get stuck, various trees where the fliers can get stuck, especially the barbed trees; also
- too many useless decorations. I suggest planning some virtual "roads" between the nodes, making them plain and nice, removing all of the decorations from them - and adding them around the "roads". I see this map as something between Grit and Crossfire, and Crossfire is a good example of doing it;
- With nodes so far away, it would be wise to add more straight roads and flying (not hovering) vehicles. Given the size of the map, the stationary laser turrets would help, too.
- The node setup is strange. It encourages the "rat race" kind of strategy: whoever captures 1 middle node and 1 enemy primary first wins. The primaries are really far away from the core, so it's easier to defend the core itself and go for middle; there is a link between 3 middle nodes, so once you have one of them, it's only logical to get other 2; and once you have at least one middle node, it's perfectly reasonable to rush for the enemy primary and try to scratch the core as much as you can. I think that spreading this action in the middle to 2 areas closer to the core would help;
- Given the size of the map, I recommend adding couple of "dead end" nodes closer to the middle, just to grant more possible spawn points. Now we have "node teleport pads" (white thingies looking like a neutral node base), but they suck heavily.

BlockFort TC edition
- add more walls; the players should at least know exactly where they can go and where they can't;
- and direction arrows and warning signs where it's possible to fall off the track; you can use the direction arrows from the "acceleration pad", as seen on ONS-Adara; the orange-and-black warning stripes are present in SpaceCargo AFAIR.
- add lava/killing volume wherever it's possible to fall off; if it's lava, you can just elevate the parts of the floor where the track is with additional blocks; if killing volumes, you can just place them all around the track for full map height. I'd prefer lava because it's easier to understand and it has visible indication;
- add some nodes with extra TC's along the track, so if player falls off and dies, it can restart from the checkpoint that was already claimed by the race leaders;
- Add trigger volumes along the track: they should send personalized admin-like message (e.g. 1/20, 2/20) to the player that passes them; they can also broadcast chat message "Checkpoint 2 of 20 claimed" when they are crossed for the first time;
- Add mover wall at the start position (you can use StorageFacility doors for it), but place the trigger volume for it somewhere in the air, so only Raptor can activate it;
- Add some kind of trigger/mover, so when first player arrives to the finish line there is some kind of firework.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 30. May 2015, 20:59

Thank you all.

Gunshop:

It is meant to be a little darker to give a sort of closed shop at night with some lights left on, err, vibe. I'll finish soon and re-do the lighting then start a thread for it.

DutchTreat:

It wasn't meant to be a finished balanced map. It was just thrown in just to see if the narrower map with greater z axis was a better fit for a ONS-ISG map. I think ONS-Anubis is still looking like the better fit with some editing.

ONS-DG-SandStone

I'll make some of the suggested changes at some point and we can see if it's any good at a later date.

Thanks again :clap:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Maniac

Postby Maniac » Sun 31. May 2015, 00:27

Cat1981England wrote:...to give a sort of closed shop at night with some lights left on, err, vibe.

As for me, it looks like a poorly lighted open shop now. I'd add more red hue to the lights, make the map lights less bright and more even, mb add some shadow lights (anti-lights) in non-crucial places, add some signs of "closed-ness" like a lock on the doors and PCs turned off, some disabled lights on the walls... Still, it took me 3 minutes to write it down and it would take 3 days to implement it, so pls consider it just like my point of view :)

Maniac

Postby Maniac » Mon 8. Jun 2015, 10:41

Return to “CEONSS Match Server”