Dinora

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
lichReen
Description: i like UT

Dinora

Postby lichReen » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 06:39

Hey,

What happened to the map Dinora? The art style was one of the best.

It was a beachfront map and was pretty cool.

Miauz55555

Re: Dinora

Postby Miauz55555 » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 06:51

It's not online atm due to normal rotation.
But if you're quick you can bring it back from Monday 10.12.18 for one week as a zombie map. Just do what is written there. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=949

lichReen

Postby lichReen » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 17:51

Why only for one week?

It should be a permanent map. It can replace Adara, that's a bad map anyway.

Miauz55555

Dinora

Postby Miauz55555 » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 18:16

lichReen wrote:Why only for one week?

It should be a permanent map. It can replace Adara, that's a bad map anyway.

Because that's the rules from the "zombie maps", every map which was on the server for one week without other question asked (respecting the rules). But we can consider an exchange after x-mas season.

salko
Description: defender

Postby salko » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 18:51

Dinora is a big map and needs more vehicles or flies.

Miauz55555

Dinora

Postby Miauz55555 » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 20:35

salko wrote:Dinora is a big map and needs more vehicles or flies.

That's a good point.
If you have some ideas please share them. Like a map with some points on it where which vehicle should be or not be.

lichReen

Dinora

Postby lichReen » Wed 5. Dec 2018, 21:04

Miauz55555 wrote:
salko wrote:Dinora is a big map and needs more vehicles or flies.

That's a good point.
If you have some ideas please share them. Like a map with some points on it where which vehicle should be or not be.

One thing you could do is include the grapple gun. That would allow people to get closer to nodes quicker if they don't have a vehicle.

You could also include vehicles that are able to climb up, but not really flyers such as the Wyvern. Maybe include spider tank too. Rather than the normal raptor you should include the falcon so tanks and Aegis who hide behind rocks can get ambushed.

Maybe in a special spawn place you could add the super shock rifle. The middle node is notoriously difficult to keep a hold of for a short time so this could help. It might be OP though.

Get rid of any normal vehicles that's for sure. A hellhound or king hellhound at spawn to fight against base spawn r__e from flyers.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Dinora

Postby Pegasus » Fri 14. Dec 2018, 08:49

Been a while since I last got into a proper content eval & improvement suggestions mindset, but I've always had an appreciation for Dinora as a particularly well pieced-together example of mapmaking, so this seems as good an opportunity as any to try n' see if that muscle still works.

As a refresher, Dinora was made by Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong around 2005. Among the many popular UT2004 maps Hourences has created you'll find staples like the ONS ur example itself, Torlan (also credited to Streamline Studios for their models), Dawn, Dria, but, more relevant to the map in question, another handiwork with distinctly hand-crafted and gameplay space-defining geometry, Adara.
Dinora is a storm-whipped beach locale, resembling northern British or Irish shores (Celtic cross points to the latter), that stretches thinly between the sea and a vertical cliff face, split in two sandy sections by rocky elevations and recesses where most of the objectives are placed. Shipwrecks, crates, bonfires and half-ruined chapels punctuate an otherwise natural setting, without hints for any specific time period.
I'd provide a link to the relevant post on the msg.board's handy Visual Map Index thread for reference, but since it seems to have suffered a catastrophic loss of remotely linked images as of late - a damn shame, considering all the effort that went into putting all that together - here's its Mapraider entry instead for pics. Btw, should the VMI thread receive an overhaul, it might be a good idea to host the node layout and map pics locally to avoid this problem in the future.
Lastly, it bears mentioning that the Dinora most of us have in mind when we talk about it is not the 2005 stock version of the map, but ONS-Dinora-32p- (8.35MB uncompressed, retains the stock version's 2 dependencies in HourDinora.usx and HourDinoraTex.utx). This is the tweaked edit that the Titans community's admin Piglet put out in ~2006, which most notably featured his custom "Super Sniper Rifle", a CSR variant included only in the middle node's lockers that would kick its users forward whenever fired even harder than the corresponding Avril backwards kick, while also dealing 5hp of damage to them - a feature, I'd go so far as to speculate, that soured many on the map all by itself.

With the preliminary stuff now covered, it's finally time to talk shop. Listed below, in (ideally) descending order of gameplay impact, are a number of improvements & optimizations that, among other things, could spread out the action around the map, bring it into closer alignment with today's ONS standards, empower pedestrians more, as well as introduce some more playstyle variety.

- A quick glance at Dinora's radar image (see pic below this point) and Node Link Setup (NLS) should be enough to let any seasoned ONS player know that something weird's going on here: there is plenty of room to play around in along three directions and as many axes, but most of the action and all of the objectives are laid within a pretty thin slice of playable space along the map's transverse, and sometimes a bit to the east of it. The result of the action being constrained by this NLS and positioning of nodes is a lopsided density of lanes and overlapping gameflows in terms of the entire accessible space, and it begs a simple question: Why is this so, and what's that choice's cost for players?
The former I cannot rightly answer, but as to the cost, as further points on this list will also serve to demonstrate, that mostly has to do with the central node becoming way too tactically prominent to capture and snipe from, with no strategic options or avenues that avoid its influence, thus producing a constant and significant amount of spam around it that slows down the game pace and degrades gameplay beyond the early game point. In other words, the central node is a fortress that once claimed is very hard to retake with just the one raptor per team, and which can oversee and suppress activity around all nearby nodes and along the cliff paths.
Way I see it, the corrective course of action here would be what most regular players have come to instinctively expect when they see a new map, as a rule of thumb for ONS NLS design: if there's a primary off to one side, there's usually another one near its transverse-symmetrical point (yes, there are exceptions to this, plz don't @ me for out-of-context pedantry :p). So, here's a visual below showcasing what might be one way to plop a pair of primaries on the non-cliff face side of the core-to-core axis, and through that to start opening things up a bit.
Dinora_ship_nodes.jpg

For this concept, the constraints that, I imagine, would determine the ship primaries' position would be two: similar proximity to core and/or to transverse to that of the cliff face primaries, and sufficient distance from central node to reduce harassment from campers shooting down from it. If it proves necessary to do so, the border's blocking volumes could be moved back a bit for those two to be met. The ship st.mesh's size should probably be big enough to house a node, a locker, at least 4 playerstarts, a vehicle spawning somewhere on it, as well as should be able to accommodate a 3- or 4-person duel; think something with the useful, inside area of an AirMars primary or close to that.
As to the spawning vehicle, a manta per side sounds reasonable enough a solution to give 2-3 people a quick ride off the ship and beyond the midsection, with a raptor being a viable second choice (obviously not promoting team cooperation as much) to double the chances of sneaking up on center campers from behind. The cicada, I gotta admit, I've come around on since I made the visual, considering the worst case scenario there (dominant team having two of those) seems too unforgiving for defenders, especially in conjunction with the rest of these suggestions. To be clear here, I think the map can definitely accommodate one a cicada per side, which would dictate having it spawn at each base, but I'll come 'round to that on a subsequent point about the vehicle loadout as a whole. Lastly, perhaps a jumppad could also be placed at the elevated, aft part of each ship to fling infantry halfway to the proximal beach node (or more towards the midsection?) for all the times a vec won't be present to use, since swimming to shore could get tedious. Adding these two sea primaries, and coming up with a good NLS for the 7 total nodes (still just 2 primaries per side, with beach nodes becoming secondaries as they have the worst defensive position between the three), I think could make for the most impactful improvement to Dinora.
- Kinda goes without saying, but if the above suggestion gets implemented, the map's radar image would need to be redone. Hell, even if not, considering how little represented the playable area is within the current radar image, I'd say a remake is in order anyway, so that the node graph is given more room compared to the needlessly big margin areas.
- With the ship primaries and a new NLS addressing the bigger chunk of Dinora's action-spreading shortcomings, let's move on to midsection issues, like accessibility (vs. camping) and utilization. The bigger problem here is defenders being faced with numerous snipers and anti-raptor shock users protecting the central node from recapture while the rest of the dominant team is pushing on below; at worst, a bender could also have driven up the rocky path to the middle node, making things even worse with its twinbeams' longer range. Those overlapping vantage point layers leave direct assaults via the rocky path by the defending team particularly exposed and vulnerable (and, as of the 32p edit, they can't even bring their beach node tank up the path because of the added, invisible, class-blocking volumes), which highlights the need for some additional, more covert avenues for craftier players to sneak through and do some damage - even from behind enemy lines. Borrowing some inspiration from ONS-TwinFang's own midsection design, here's one way the map could be changed to deliver just that kinda asymmetrical opening, while also utilizing more of the midsection playable area for pedestrians:
Dinora_central_area_sw&jps.jpg

In terms of the ledges and jumppads system, the design is obviously meant to be mirrored on the other side of the central elevation. As for the superweapon, even if it's not a redeemer (and it could easily be here, IMO), as long as it were splashy enough to effectively push/kill/mess with (most of) the usual 3-4 campers' routine while also partially damaging the node when fired, it should be enough. Ideally, the ledge hopping should also expose the infiltrator to some sniping risk from the enemy side for things to be even more balanced, but that would require some custom scripted teleporters and/or jumppads to ensure you're always made to use the more unfavourable side - admittedly, I could be overthinking this. Either way, this should provide the central area with a more balancing dynamic, since campers usually focused on tormenting enemies below as the rest of their team pushes on should now start to worry about the higher chances of someone coming from behind and ruining their fun without even having to be in a raptor.
- A lesser node design tweak I wanna bring up has to do with how cramped fighting around the cliff primaries can feel. The obvious choice would be to move the wooden barricades and stationary turret some ways forward to open up some space, like so, but there's the issue of those nodes already being exposed to sniper fire from enemies standing on the sea-proximal wooden platforms of the middle node area to consider. Still, with a bit of moving things around, repositioning and playtesting it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a rearrangement of the cliff primaries' st.mesh cover (and assorted assets) that's more amenable to local duels. Oh, and lowering its damned rock platform a mite could help people frantically moving around that area too, while I'm at it.
- As an intro to the vehicle loadout part of the rant review, here's your timely reminder that Scorpions are near-useless deathtraps in almost every map (TripleSlap being the only exception I'm aware of), so swapping them out for EONS Scorps would improve their drivers' chances of survival and meaningful contribution to their team's efforts without distorting the map's overall vehicle balance.
Beyond that, there's also some map-specific observations to get to, like how Dinora could easily support a badger per side (but definitely not more tanks - of any kind, floating ones included), likely as a replacement for the cliff primaries' benders (wouldn't be too strong to break through an enemy base's defenses on its own), or how the center node is practically begging for an SPMA to spawn there, rather than the 2 scorps that currently serve as its paltry land vec complement, along with a raptor, which, IMO, should remain as a meaningful offensive benefit of claiming the middle node. Paladins probably wouldn't be a good fit, as there's plenty of exposure from long lines of sight in most directions to make moving around in such a slow vehicle a sensible idea, plus most of the nodes are already pretty well covered in one kinda nook or another so as to not need extra shielding.
That just leaves the cicadas to address, which, as mentioned above, only makes sense in a "overhauling bases' resources for 32p matches" context. Dinora-32p's bases provide a scorpion, a manta, a bender and a raptor on the roof per side, which can leave as many as half a full team's players behind to hoof it to the nearest friendly node in the hopes of finding a vec there. In that sense, offering an additional cicada per base would go a long way towards ensuring each side can ferry more players between objectives faster during early match without a significant impact on the map's verticality design later on, and it would also provide a heavier assault tool for teams on their back foot that's not itself overpowered. As to where to spawn it around the base, the front of the chapel near the tree would be one obvious place, but that could leave newly spawned cicadas exposed to damage from oncoming, frontal attacks. An alternative to that could be to mimic the use of one of those wooden platform st.meshes from the center node, as enlarged and leveled off as needed to safely nestle a cicada, but here to have it suspended over the yawning chasm at the border-side cliff of each base (that is not the sea-facing or the midsection-proximal one), with proximity to the roof teleporter or the smaller spawning vehicles left as a matter of playtesting or taste.
- Moving on to weapons now, Piglet's CSR variant sought to balance the higher vantage point, the CSR's inconspicuous fire trail, and the availability of clear lines of sight in all directions advantages mix to the central node's spawners by introducing a fall risk and an extended spamming health cost. From personal experience and numerous secondhand comments, I can confidently state that the only thing this change did was massively frustrate people. Not only did the falling/-5hp risks never really deter any determined central hill campers; most of those inclined to sit there and not go after nodes would crouch and just move backwards while firing, without much care about eventually dying since they could easily respawn there as long as the node remained in their team's control. Instead, the absence of any other sniper alternative (LG) inconvenienced more those who favoured that playstyle when they'd move beyond the midsection in an effort to push toward the enemy core by an average of 20-30hp per duel (5-6 shots total, 2 to kill) and until they'd manage to get to some health pickups, as well as anyone else who might've skillfully fought their way to reclaiming the middle node and then hoped they could get some health replenishment for their effort - no such luck as all health pickups are deliberately absent in that area.
In my book, if double/triple side-effects is all your game design solution to a localized spamming problem ever managed to deliver, it's officially a Bad Idea and time to move things back to the drawing board. A better fix here would be require two components, IMO. Firstly, given the map's generally long lines of sight, sniper rifles should be found on all lockers, but the more inconspicuous kind (CSRs) should be offered to those moving along lower, more exposed paths while shooting upward or across the map, whereas the center spawners should instead get LGs that, in the generally low brightness environment, call attention to their users after each shot. Secondly, the general antidote to camping and sniping from an advantageous position is a plurality of (more concealed) ways to reach 'em, so a few more of those should be created, whether through more flying vehicles, jumppad transit systems or otherwise. One such idea that also deals with superweapons and better use of the midsection playable area is offered elsewhere on this list.
- Regarding the grapple guns proposal, I'm not so sure they'd add much to this map myself, as the horizontal distances between nodes are moderate at most and easy enough to cover by foot, compared to other maps (like, say, MagicIsle or Panalesh) where the prospect of being left behind to drive a slower vec means being out of the action for 30secs or more. OTOH, the grapple gun's addition would seriously disrupt one of the most positive attributes of this map, which is its pronounced z-axis "economy", and would allow cheap tactics to crop up, like raptors or mantas zipping around and dragging behind them entire batches of latched-on players like grapes. Smart and convenient means to empower players moving around on foot should be the goal here, not mass and lazy solutions to do so at the expense of the specific design with verticality in mind.
- The usual "modernizing", quality-of-life fare applies: offering all stock weapons (sans mines) with decent ammo complements would allow players to tackle problems their own way rather than hamstringing them; upgrading to Wulff's CustomWeaponLockers would remove the need to throw away a linkgun that's low on ammo in order to properly replenish it; and including/myLeveling OnslaughtSpecials2[_RNH] support would let node discs catch link beams, display their unique names, optionally also (in RNH's case) showing their health on the radar map.
- Despite creating the st.meshes themselves without such limitations, Hourences then added in his stock version numerous BlockingVolumes (blocking all projectiles) and HitScanBlockingVolumes (kinda redundant) over both bases' western (sea-facing), ground-level chapel windows, as well as inside those same buildings' holes-riddled roofs. This was done presumably in an effort to limit the multitude of directions the cores would be exposed from, and the resulting likelihood of frequent quick rounds due to sustained attacks from said directions. Again from personal memory, the pendulum swung in the exact opposite direction in practice, because of all the cover afforded to the cores, what with them being so ensconced inside those chapels, and Dinora would consistently produce OT rounds. IMO, all those BVs/HSBVs could stand to be removed, and maybe a few of the wooden planks covering parts of the ground floor western windows too. To compensate for attackers in raptors or mantas having an easier way to get in one of many downward core shooting positions compared to defenders (who'd all have to go through the same teleporter and then drop down to fight them), a jumppad or two pushing to the lower roof could be added 'round the bases.
- Speaking of modifications to the bases, removing their top roofs' wooden crosses might help prevent the nearby spawning raptors from getting occasionally snagged on them upon awkward take-off, especially at the hands of higher-ping (or more inept) players' cases.
- As mentioned in another point, beach runners are pretty exposed across long lines of sight from pretty much everywhere, while they're busy getting from node to node or towards the central elevation. Here's two ideas that might make their disadvantages a bit more palatable or short-lived. Firstly, jumppads from ground level that would boost them to the mid-point of each elevated rocky (vehicle) path running above from cores to primaries, and then from primaries to central node could be added as a surprise element to tanks moving along those. Additionally, some (or all) of the 3 bonfires per beach area could have their size increased, and their corresponding fire/smoke emitters' and assorted assets' proportions enlarged accordingly (IIRC, there's a quick way to do that from within the Particle System Editor), so as to produce taller, wider and slightly more vertical smoke plumes, offering some visibility-blocking pillars for downward aiming snipers?
- Almost the entire playable area above the sea is contained within a pair of volumes (PhysicsVolume0 and PhysicsVolume1) that is meant to slowly push actors towards the beach (doesn't affect vehicles), as well as deal 10hp/sec of damage (mapper forgot to define a DamType, so that doesn't apply). An inward current would make sense below sea level, but if you happen to exit your vehicle on top of one of the several small rocky islets, say, for some quick repairs, or swim to one (especially in the case of the shipwreck one right up against the blocking volumes), you just might find yourself pushed into the sea and unable to get back on it. Whatever minor benefit might theoretically exist in simulating a light wind towards the shore is certainly negated by this practical problem, so I'd simply delete those two without fear of losing anything of value.
- Related to the sea-bordering volumes discussion is also another, even more impactful issue: flyer pilots have no way to tell exactly where the playable area ends over the open sea, so if they're preoccupied for some other reason (e.g. they're under fire or dogfighting), they're likely to crash into one of the invisible BlockingVolumes at some speed and lose a lot of health. Sea border BVs here seem like good candidates for replacement with Wormbo's custom ForcedDirVolume ones, found in OnslaughtSpecials packages.
- Finally on the volumes block of suggestions, there's the blocking volume pillars along the elevated, rocky, cliff-side paths between the primaries and to center node to [re]consider. Since this design doesn't really affect flyers, mantas or wheeled vehicles, what we're actually left to weigh here is whether it makes sense or not to allow a goliath (or, worst case scenario, both) to reach the middle hill and camp there. IMO, the answer to that largely depends on the overall transit design that the map's vehicle loadout and other relevant mechanics n' opportunities comprise; put short, it made sense to block 'em in the 32p edit, but if those calculations changed significantly, I could see that conclusion change. If many (or all) of the aforementioned suggestions were implemented in a new Dinora edit, the benefits of the dominant team getting their side's tank next to the middle node, thus protecting the conventional way up, could be offset by the following, newly introduced counters: 1) an additional flyer on the defenders' side (would mean the dominant team would need to keep more people on foot next to the tank with shock rifles to protect it), 2) the occasional EONS scorpion turbocharging along the path while the tank was distracted with another target and coming up to push it off with its explosive boost, and 3) a redeemer carrier making their way up via the jumppads and nuking that whole bunch in one go right before pinching the node itself to prevent respawners. Overall, I think those additions would complement each other well, while maintaining the map's verticality (or "z-axis economy") around the same kinda premium mark it's always been known for.
- After all these years, I'm still not sold on the design of the middle node's principal geometry cover, which is just a half-carved, big-ass boulder. The midsection traditionally features some of the (if not the most) iconic parts of a map, and the only notable thing here is a Celtic cross, which adds aesthetic but not gameplay value. Going another way, a larger st.mesh in the boulder's place could better define the space around the middle node, and also provide a few longer, narrow lines of sight to snipe at it from afar. Perhaps a st.mesh of some kinda fitting ruin or something like that to round out the map's theme, I dunno. Still waiting to stumble on some fitting asset...
- This one, I gotta admit, I didn't get a chance to review to any great extent, but the map's optimization - in terms of an adequate amount of placed AntiPortal actors - could be given another pass, just in case a few more are needed. From some quick rmode flicks back n' forth between wireframe and standard rendering I did, the biggest issue here I could spot was that the entire cliff face is comprised of two instances of the same, huge st.mesh stitched side by side (and at some 2000+ polys, that's a beast of a mesh), so if any part of it is visible in someone's frustum, the entire thing will get rendered, APAs or not. Only way to improve things there would be to break it down to smaller parts, but I suspect the only one who could competently take a stab at that would be GLoups. Oh, and, same goes for some other big parts of the non-terrain accessible geometry, IIRC, too.
- Moving on to less important stuff now, large parts of the map just report the player's location as "Dinora Beach Region", even when atop the middle node area. Location volumes could use another pass, if anyone's up to it.
- Had to download the original version of this map to confirm, but it seems that in the process of making the various lamp posts collision-less across the beach (a commendable thought regarding vec usability), the 32p edit accidentally also managed to move some of the st.meshes a few UUs away from their matching light sources.
- The beach primaries' xTeamBanners on the shipwrecks are totally movable :D. IIRC, this can easily be fixed by enabling their bStatic property. Since I think that prop belongs in the None category and isn't immediately exposed for manipulation via a placed actor's properties dialog (via F4), those can be accessed through the editactor Name=ActorName command typed in UEd's textbar or inside and at the bottom of the log output window. "ActorName" here would be replaced with xTeamBanner0 and xTeamBanner2 (xTB1 is outside the playable area).
- Part of the character of the map revolves around the ship wrecks and their washed out flotsam used to keep the bonfires going. Now, you'd expect wood from the crates to've made the best choice for fire fodder, but what the mapper, unfortunately, went with instead was books being used as fuel. While that may make for some striking visual storytelling... as some might expect, I have some problems with the imagery of burning books used this casually, even as an emotional hook to make players think this beach was once a shelter for some fictional, desperate castaways trying to stay warm. It's not something I'd demand of anybody else deciding to edit this map, but as a matter of personal, intellectual sensibility, I'd do a quick pass and delete all those st.mesh (and mover combos in 2 cases) of books strewn around where they don't belong. A few left lying around in the chapels just to preserve the map's original art assets is what I'd personally go with as a graceful alternative.
- For all the accolades Hourences rightly deserves for producing such a high quality map - as far as visual appearance, bespoke, modeller-made geometry (cliff side, cave paths, etc.) and custom trigger craftsmanship for the convincing storm effects are concerned - I've absolutely no idea why the huge cliff-side st.mesh is using a specular layer, making the rocks behind the moss seem like they're made out of metal; it's especially pronounced where the lighting's lower, like near the northern cliff primary (n5, I think). I just now noticed it and ...it feels weird :s.
- Wish there was a thematically/aesthetically fitting lighthouse st.mesh we could drop somewhere off in the midsection distance, outside the playable space just to round out the theme; it's the only touch I think Hourences missed when coming up with this otherwise very cohesive concept.

Ugh, finally done. Took most of the week to stitch this thing together, and at 20+ points n' 4000+ words, it's a pretty good reminder of why I rarely get into these kinda "deep dive" map review n' overhaul laundry list posts. Still, after almost an entire decade's worth of discovering, pulling apart, learning from their custom UScript content and unique mechanics combos, and reviewing for online play suitability over a thousand maps big n' small (and editing some of those for you :p), I can honestly say that it was worth doing it again here. That's because in my book Dinora belongs in a very small and select group of just about 3 maps that anyone should study if they're interested in expanding their understanding of how to assemble ScriptedTrigger/UnrealScriptedSequence systems so they can add complex, thematic or interactive elements in maps, and thereby further refine their editing craftsmanship. Dinora is the ideal introduction to such knowledge because its storm-themed, choreographed environmental sounds, emitters and projectors aren't player-interactive and are easy enough to grasp.
If you like what you find n' appreciate the possibilities it reveals though, you'll want to move on to ONS-Foundry's secrets next and keep chasing that rabbit down the hole towards even more interesting combos. For anyone here who took (or cares to take) that trip and wants to know where it goes beyond that, hit me up for the lesser known Part 3 ;). Hope I'm not coming across as pretentious or patronizing here, or implying I'm the only one who's ever dabbled into that fare, btw, since I know that GLoups, for example, has dealt with texture changing- and mover shifting-triggering systems in his AnotherOpera remake, and that was a pretty good bit of kit. It's just that the vast majority of mappers' and editors' work doesn't bother with such affectations, so the rare few times they do become relevant it's hard not to wax technical or geek out just a little bit about 'em, hoping to share and spread the curiosity to other ONS regulars.

As a parting thought, I'll admit I've been mindful lately of the (typically recurring) anxiety about the game's old age and apparent trend of steady abandonment, as most lately expressed in this thread. From the time I've spent across gaming and other online communities revolving around an ageing object of interest, I can tell you that if there's one way to inoculate against pessimism and dejection, it's by rejuvenating the spirit of involvement. Roll up your sleeves, make the choice to start a new project relevant to the community's interests and I guarantee you that soon your enthusiasm will become an infectious kick in the butt to other creative peers that were idling for their own reasons too.
In UT's case, the two biggest investments in the game you can make are either putting out new content for all to enjoy, or pass on useful knowledge to new creators so that can try their own hand (and ideas) at similar or more radical content creation, and see where their inspiration and vision take the whole community. With that in mind then, while embarking on an extensive map edit project isn't in my immediate plans for a number of reasons, I can promise you that, if you're interested in giving the ole Dinora here some editing lovin', I'll be there to help you with as detailed advice (here or over PMs) as you need in every step of the way, whether you've got some previous UEd experience or you're a complete novice who's only ever thought about trying to edit a map - all comers welcome.
Ignore all the wailing and hand-wringing noise about the game's supposed pining for the fjords and, instead, just ask yourself if you wanna do something to move things in the other direction. If so, know that you'll find an ally in me to do so, and, if I know the staff here at all, a bunch more as well to help you learn, improve your work and share it with the entire community. That's what keeps the game alive and worth coming back to :thumbup:.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SysX

Postby SysX » Fri 14. Dec 2018, 13:37

Ah look it's pegasus let's see what he has to say..... 2 hours later.
Damn that was like a small novel, great effort tho and agree with a lot of points.
WOooHOoo!! »\o\°\O/°/o/«

widurr

Dinora

Postby widurr » Fri 14. Dec 2018, 14:04

SysX wrote:Ah look it's pegasus let's see what he has to say..... 2 hours later.

Every freakin' time :lol:

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”