Any mappers / scripters alive and/or active?

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
Crusha K. Rool
Description: Coding Crocodile

Post by Crusha K. Rool » Sat 18. Apr 2020, 18:02

In your screenshot with the UltimateRadarMapDynamicVehicleTracker properties, it looks like you did not add any entries to the list at the very bottom, which say "VehicleRadarProperties". These entries define which vehicle classes (including their subclasses) are actually tracked, which texture they use on the radar map and how that texture should be scaled (hence the scale should not be 0). You could just use "Vehicle" as class to track all vehicles and use the same icon, or you could be more specific and use something like "ONSRV" for Scorpions, "ONSPRV" for Hellbenders, etc. The UltimateMappingToolsTex package comes with some built-in vehicle textures from UT3, which you can use if you tell the editor to load the entire package.

(And I assume that "Press Fire to view different player" on your radar map screenshot is just because you took a quick one for testing and not a final one, right? You can use the console command "togglescreenshotmode" to hide all UI elements, allowing you to take unobstructed screenshots. And if the center of your map is not directly in the center of the editor, the UltimateRadarMap actor has an option to use the actor's location as the center for radar calculations, so you should make sure to move it to your map's center point then and set the correct radar range in the level properties. Otherwise the icons will appear all over the place. You can measure distances for the radar range by holding the middle mouse button in a 2D editor viewport and dragging the mouse.)

DaveTheBlaze
Description: CovidFreeMapper

Post by DaveTheBlaze » Sun 19. Apr 2020, 16:03

Crusha K. Rool wrote:
Sat 18. Apr 2020, 18:02
In your screenshot with the UltimateRadarMapDynamicVehicleTracker properties, it looks like you did not add any entries to the list at the very bottom, which say "VehicleRadarProperties".
I tested that before without any result. But changing the Radar Range in the Level Properties did the trick, now I can see icons on the radar map.
Unfortunately however, the vehicles are still not beeing tracked. It tracks me (as player) but no cars yet.

This is what it looks like:
RadarMap.jpg
UltimateRadarMapDynamic_Actor_New.jpg
The green arrow on the left of the radar map represents me (as a player), thats why it is the arrow icon (even while beeing in a car) and not the hellbender icon that I chose from the UltimateMapping Textures (thanks btw, didn't know there are more textures inside there :)).
Crusha K. Rool wrote:
And I assume that "Press Fire to view different player" on your radar map screenshot is just because you took a quick one for testing and not a final one, right?
You assume correctly :).
The map isn't finished yet, I don't bother taking perfect radar map pictures for now, it's still for testing only, so far.
Crusha K. Rool wrote:
And if the center of your map is not directly in the center of the editor, the UltimateRadarMap actor has an option to use the actor's location as the center for radar calculations, so you should make sure to move it to your map's center point then and set the correct radar range in the level properties. Otherwise the icons will appear all over the place. You can measure distances for the radar range by holding the middle mouse button in a 2D editor viewport and dragging the mouse.)
Ye, that is what is actually happening to me right now (as you can see in the screenshot above the green arrow is not on my position).
The problem is: moving the actor for the map center around doesn't change the location on the radar map (and yes, I set the option for use as map center to TRUE).
Is there a good instruction somewhere how to do that quickly and easily?
I don't really want to try different radar map ranges and map center locations until it finally fits the position on the map.

The problem is that one radar map couldn't possibly cover the whole racing map. So I need to use more radar maps which are triggered on the way (material trigger or sth, idk yet).
For now I measured the size of the radar map (a.k.a. testing screenshot radar map) and placed the number inside the radar range level properties (around 35.000).
I then divided this number by 2 and placed the map center actor at this exact location (17.500). Meaning: the map center actor is now exactly in the middle of the radar screenshot image (not the whole map, only the part which is seen in the radar image).
Yet it looks like the above screenshot. Any advise?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crusha K. Rool

Post by Crusha K. Rool » Sun 19. Apr 2020, 16:52

Hmm, bummer. And I doubt that the mod for that gametype is using some kind of Hellbender that is not a child class of ONSPRV.
In the screenshots you posted, the radar map actor is actually still called "UltimateRadarMap". Didn't you make a custom version of it (to enable the vehicle tracking even if no special VehicleFactory is present, as we discussed earlier)? I would have expected it to be named something like DaveUltimateRadarMap and be used instead of the actor from my package. (If you named it exactly the same but placed it in myLevel, I am not sure which one will be preferred by the engine if the UltimateMappingTools.u is still loaded.)

Using more than one radar map (with different ranges and positions) is not supported, though. That has never been a use-case in ONS or WAR for that matter, and the built-in code is not designed with that in mind. It will specifically only search for the first UltimateRadarMap actor it finds and ignore all others. The assumption is always that the radar map shows the entire map area at the same time, and ONS maps are usually build around that assumption and try to roughly keep a square shape.
And yeah, the center of the radar map image should be where you placed the UltimateRadarMap actor and the edge of the image should be how far you measure your radar range. (Maps with terrain also have the option to use the terrain's bounds instead of manually typing a range, but I prefer to have more control and never used it. Also, I think the TerrainInfo needs to have the tag "PrimaryTerrain" to be considered for the radar map range.)

DaveTheBlaze

Post by DaveTheBlaze » Sun 19. Apr 2020, 17:27

Crusha K. Rool wrote:
Sun 19. Apr 2020, 16:52
Hmm, bummer. And I doubt that the mod for that gametype is using some kind of Hellbender that is not a child class of ONSPRV.
I'm not quite sure. The code behind the vehicle replacement is closed source. All I know is that the vehicle spawned by a AssaultTaggedVehicleBase with the 'VehicleTypeTag=TWB' is replaced by a hellbender with nitro abilities, I'm not sure what class it is in the end. But let's just assume it is still a ONSPRV class.

-> adding the class 'Vehicle' to the VehicleRadarPropertyList didn't make a difference, still no car tracked. So I don't think it is a class problem and rather a missing custom UltimateRadarMap actor problem :P
Crusha K. Rool wrote:
In the screenshots you posted, the radar map actor is actually still called "UltimateRadarMap". Didn't you make a custom version of it (to enable the vehicle tracking even if no special VehicleFactory is present, as we discussed earlier)?
I'm quoting myself here:
DaveTheBlaze wrote:
Fri 17. Apr 2020, 15:36
I'm using the original 'UltimateRadarMap' actor refering to VCTF Factories, since my edit didn't compile right.
simulated event PostBeginPlay()
{
local UltimateVCTFFactory UVF;
local int i;

if (bDisabled)
{
return;
}

// UltimateRadarMapPanel.ClassName = string(class'UT2K4Tab_UltimateRadarMap');

foreach AllActors(class'UltimateVCTFFactory', UVF)
{
if (bHasRadarVehicles)
break;

for (i = 0; i < UVF.VehicleList.Length; i++)
{
if (UVF.VehicleList.bTrackVehicleOnRadar)
{
bHasRadarVehicles = True;
break;
}
}
}

if (Level.NetMode != NM_DedicatedServer) // don't spawn the overlay and menu panel on dedicated servers
{
Enable ('Tick');
}
else
{
Disable ('Tick');
}
}

//=============================================================================

Could you pls post your version of the new actor?

Crusha K. Rool wrote:
Using more than one radar map (with different ranges and positions) is not supported, though.

There is no work around for this issue? Man, I start to feel like I can't use a radar map at all :/.
Or what is if I use the same resolution for all radar images? So that the radar range stays the same for all radar images.

Crusha K. Rool

Post by Crusha K. Rool » Sun 19. Apr 2020, 19:35

Giving you my version of the actor probably wouldn't help much, since I also made changes in the actual HUDOverlay that is created by the actor and not in the UltimateRadarMap itself. You'd probably need to patch a whole lot of unrelated classed for it to work.

However, I'd do the following if I were to fix the actor on your end:

Code: Select all

class PatchedUltimateRadarMap extends UltimateRadarMap
    placeable;

simulated event PostBeginPlay()
{
    if (bDisabled)
    {
        return;
    }

bHasRadarVehicles = True;

if (Level.NetMode != NM_DedicatedServer) // don't spawn the overlay and menu panel on dedicated servers
    {
        Enable ('Tick');
    }
    else
    {
        Disable ('Tick');
    }
}
Can you try that and/or post what the problem during compilation is?

I am not sure if material triggers work for radar maps. Feel free to try, though. You would still need to solve the issue of the UltimateRdarMap's location being used as the center, and you can't really change that at runtime. So it might only work if you built your map in multiple layers/levels on top of each other and then trigger the material depending on which layer/level you are on. But that might not be feasible. You'd also need to have a way to switch back if a player died in one layer and respawned in a different one. And dealing with network replication and multiple players would be a whole different beast, since you need to take into account that the layer should only switch for the current player and not for others. You would also still see the vehicles from other layers than the current one, which might be confusing. All in all, it seems way too much of a hassle.

DaveTheBlaze

Post by DaveTheBlaze » Mon 20. Apr 2020, 16:56

Crusha K. Rool wrote:
Sun 19. Apr 2020, 19:35
All in all, it seems way too much of a hassle.
man, didn't think it would be this complicated but ye your arguments are valid.
Since I can't take a radar image of the whole map at once (since at a certain height the brushes and meshes are just blending out) the project comes to an end I think.
It's just too much effort for an intentionally small cool new feature xD.

Guess I focus on other stuff now, playing with weather, different volumes and probability triggers instead now.
Thanks for your time and effort, I really appreciate that.

Are you up for some other smaller problems to help with? Custom pawns, triggering events on custom game objectives and such.
If not, thats alright.
Are you using Discord or some other form of communication aside this forum (again, only if you are up for it)?

Crusha K. Rool

Post by Crusha K. Rool » Mon 20. Apr 2020, 17:40

DaveTheBlaze wrote:
Mon 20. Apr 2020, 16:56
Are you up for some other smaller problems to help with? Custom pawns, triggering events on custom game objectives and such.
If not, thats alright.
Are you using Discord or some other form of communication aside this forum (again, only if you are up for it)?
As far as UT is concerned, I am only active on this forum and Omnipotents (and eventually my Github projects after I release stuff there). No real-time communication. And the little time I find for UT nowadays is aimed at my own projects, so I am not really up to doing custom code for individual maps and modes.

I didn't mind helping out here, though, since I still ended up with a new actor and improvements for my own tools. ;)
Don't let that prevent you from reporting your problems if you are stuck somewhere, though. People (including me) might still be able to offer some alternatives or advice. And it might give me some inspiration for stuff I could add to my toolset if the use case is not too much of a niche.

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Post by GLoups! » Mon 20. Apr 2020, 21:04

DaveTheBlaze wrote:
Mon 20. Apr 2020, 16:56
[...]Since I can't take a radar image of the whole map at once (since at a certain height the brushes and meshes are just blending out) the project comes to an end I think.
It's just too much effort for an intentionally small cool new feature xD.[...]
If you want to take a screenshot for the whole map and things blending out, make a save of your map like something yourname-radar.ut2, disable the fog in the main zone-info, select all actor and disable cull-distances then you may have to enlarge the main substracting brush (and the StallZ) to the top and rebuild so you can start the game in instant-action, disable hud in game-options and as a spectator flying a the center of the map and go up until you have the whole map at the screen, it's binding because you have to adjust the values of bUseTerrainForRadarRange and CustomRadarRange and sometimes (each time :p ) you have to redo the screenshot until all is fitting ok, personnaly i take the screenshot a little bigger, i crop it with photoshop and i resize it to 512*512 dxt1 texture, i keep a save of the original in case i have to shift it from right to left or from top to bottom.

DaveTheBlaze

Post by DaveTheBlaze » Tue 21. Apr 2020, 14:47

GLoups! wrote:
Mon 20. Apr 2020, 21:04
If you want to take a screenshot for the whole map...
Thanks, that worked reasonably well.
Crusha K. Rool wrote:
Mon 20. Apr 2020, 17:40
As far as UT is concerned, I am only active on this forum. I didn't mind helping out here, though.
Aight, I see. Will post my problems on CEONS then. Thanks.