Map loading error

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
DaveTheBlaze
Description: CovidFreeMapper

Map loading error

Post by DaveTheBlaze » Mon 21. Sep 2020, 20:03

Hey guys,
I don't know if anyone is reading this but I have the following problem:
I finished my map and everything works fine. I shared the map with other players and it seems they can't start it ingame or open it in the editor.
The following error message appears and the game crashes:
UT2004_Map_Error_01.png
Alternatively the following quite similar message shows up:
UT2004_Map_Error_02.png
I only get what actor or class causes the problem, but I have got no idea what really is the problem.
Can anyone tell?

PS: As I said, the map works fine on my system, I can play and open it. So the map itself isn't broken.

Thanks a bunch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Map loading error

Post by GLoups! » Mon 21. Sep 2020, 22:01

DaveTheBlaze wrote:
Mon 21. Sep 2020, 20:03
PS: As I said, the map works fine on my system, I can play and open it. So the map itself isn't broken.
There's obviously a dependency that other players miss.

DaveTheBlaze
Description: CovidFreeMapper

Map loading error

Post by DaveTheBlaze » Mon 21. Sep 2020, 22:06

SOLVED

Compiling all changed scripts again has done the trick. Thanks anyway guys! I'm happy that it works now.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Map loading error

Post by Pegasus » Mon 21. Sep 2020, 22:33

Class or placed actor dependencies are often associated with the class' code or the class' or placed actor's properties, but what's missing may not always be apparent; sometimes you can have all that removed and the map will still require a dependency because, say, it's still referenced in the NavigationPoint array or a dependency's texture is used somewhere or some other class is needlessly referencing it. Removing all relevant stuff you don't want, saving the map, closing UEd, reopening the editor, reloading the map, rebuilding relevant aspects of the map (e.g. paths, geometry), saving again, and then testing if the dependency has actually been dropped is the standard route of dependency removal hygiene there.

Whatever the underlying reason, if the game directly crashes while trying to start it via map load because a dependency is missing (likeliest reason), the quickest way to tell which one it is is by trying to load the map while ingame via the open <mapname> console command (a white message with the missing file will appear in the middle of the screen) or by extracting the map's class resources via the ucc.exe batchexport <filepath\to\filename> class uc <path\to\export\to> command from an open CLI window; if a necessary file is missing, the process will halt and mention it specifically. Btw, if you're executing this via batch script, make sure you've added a pause command right after the ucc call or else the window will flicker and you won't have time to read the error message. Anyway, without a copy of the map itself nobody else can do any of that to help you.

Edit: just saw this was solved. Leaving this around in case it's helpful to anyone else.
Eyes in the skies.