SlatedWorld gameplay

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
Kenny--OMG!!
Description: I have been verified.

SlatedWorld gameplay

Postby Kenny--OMG!! » Thu 19. Jun 2014, 23:24

Bare in mind I'm really trying to dial down the immensity of my frustration while writing this after the game tonight.

That being said... What the FCK is up with all the turret and rail cannon shooting on this map???

It's been going on for a while now, but there used to be only a couple of players who abused the rail tank; sitting on the bridge all game just at the edge of the viewing distance from the center node gunning down flyers with one shot the second they get close. But lately... everybody does it. And apparently, admins have nothing against it. So here's me cracking this thing down:

1. Essentially, it's CAMPING. You're camping the rail tank. Or the turret, or the hellbender or whatever that is. The same player is hogging the same vehicle all game. Sometimes it's no-namers, but lately I noticed long-time players doing it too - MiTTh, Vril, etc. It's the same player in the same vehicle all game. That's precisely called camping the vehicle. Say it with me: c-a-m-p-i-n-g.

2. It's a flyers' map. 99% of the time you're in a flyer and there's no practical way to get even to the nearest node without flying. Well bad news for you buddy, because the rail tank blows you out of the sky with one shot and you won't even see it coming. And his little brother the hellbender turret does it in one and a pinch, just the same. Flying for a good deal of seconds in a rush to the nearest node to avoid the cutoff of 2-3 other nodes? No matter, here's faithful Jonny Rail-Cannon with his big shot tank putting an end to that - start over and pray he doesn't see you! Every. Fcking. Time.

You've got one rail tank, two or three hellbenders, maybe two static turrets - that's an average of 6 of the 12 players in a team, at the peak of this thing, acting like a fcking mobile minefield. Tonight I was lucky to get maybe one succesful flight out of four without being gunned down before reaching the desired node or while I was in combat with other flyers. I had to start flying below ground level, finding the camper, engaging him / killing him, and only then proceed with what I intended to do in the first place, with what was more often than not a compromisingly low health level for the vehicle.

Tonight, out of pure frustration, after being shot down systematically, I tried hunting down the tank as soon as it left the base - see how THEY like it to get hammered everytime they leave the base without having the time to get anything done. Cat stepped in though. And yes, I apologize for that now. But here's me adressing the issue in a constructive manner:

Please... for the love of - whatever you love... TRY justifying this type of gameplay. You, the ones who do it - what can you possibly come up with to defend this level of turret camping as acceptable? How can you possibly paint this as 'good', or 'fair', or 'constructive' gameplay?

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Re: SlatedWorld gameplay

Postby Zon3r » Fri 20. Jun 2014, 06:16

I feel your pain, i really do, but some players see a good game differently than we do. some of us like going and actually playing the game, while campernoobs(let's not start naming them) think they are extra good players by sitting in a vehicle in one spot all fkn game. (hm, maybe i shouldn't say noob, cause everyone can, but if i say it, i get a breaking news live broadcast in the middle of the screen to watch my language). On the other hand, this camping on slated usually stays on their side of the map, so it's not really a problem for me. i got used to it. and they are not as efficient with it like ebola who can see through the fog(yes, he can, i'm not imagining it). admins can't really say anything against it, as long as it's not baselaming(except if a certain admin is in the loosing team, and gets tired of campers and tells them to go play counter strike :D). But if the same player is hogging the vehicle the whole match(like last night vril) the maybe he/she should be warned. campers will stay, it won't change. Also Space did an edit on that map, remowed the one-hit vehicles, but it got discarded for some reason.

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Fri 20. Jun 2014, 11:37

Dunno about camping in this map. There are many ways to counter camping. Wasp can sneak behind the Railgun Tank and can rip it apart before it could turn its turret to the target. :D Goliath is rather redundant here though.

And yes, it is a flyer map, but it can be fun. This is one of the maps where Falcon isn't that efficient. :D

Karma_geddon
Description: from Italy

Postby Karma_geddon » Fri 20. Jun 2014, 15:08

[P]etya wrote:Dunno about camping in this map. There are many ways to counter camping. Wasp can sneak behind the Railgun Tank and can rip it apart before it could turn its turret to the target. :D Goliath is rather redundant here though.

And yes, it is a flyer map, but it can be fun. This is one of the maps where Falcon isn't that efficient. :D

I second that.

Of course I wasn't there when you were playing that match.

Usually, though, anti-air vehicles has not been a dramatic issue for me. The tactic to counter them, usually, is to take a close range, high dps flyer (falcon, wasp...), to fly under the bridge and the asteroids, hidden and out of sight from the tanks, and then to pop up just behind the tank shooting hell to it. And if things get bad, to exit from the flyer and to attack him with flak or worse.

Also, I believe that the goliath here can be used effectively as an "anti anti-air" vehicle.

However, again, I wasn't there in that match and I don't know the exact dynamics of what happened and with who, so I don't really want to justify anybody. I just wanted to point out that anti-air vehicles in Slated are not omnipotent vehicles (literally; no pun intended) and that there are some tactics that can be employed to counter them.
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Postby RottenToTheCore » Fri 20. Jun 2014, 16:22

[P]etya wrote:Dunno about camping in this map. There are many ways to counter camping.

Truth. It's totally easy to counter the campers (like me) on Slated. Just fly under the bridge, appear from behind ( :ghehe: ) and destroy the tank with 3 well played shots.

BTW: I LOVE to camp on the bridge there, although i am no camper at all most of the time. But it's the only fun thing for me, on this completely shitty (and ugly) map. I think there are many many worse campmaps, nearly every map got sth. like that, like the AA-Rocket camping from base to base (!) on Omaha.

Greetz :ghehe:

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Fri 20. Jun 2014, 18:06

In my opinion camping has never been a problem. The problems appear when the map greatly supports the campers. There are maps where camping is rather inefficient and there are maps where you can camp without being killed. Slated World is very good in terms of gameplay, because camping here isn't very efficient in long term. Maybe a camper can kill 5 players, but after that the victims will know about his/her presence and eventually they are going to pursue the camper until he/she is finished off.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 21. Jun 2014, 11:14

I agree that it can be very frustrating, as a great man once said "campers should bugger off and play Counter Strike" (just for you Zon)

Kenny wrote:It's been going on for a while now, but there used to be only a couple of players who abused the rail tank; sitting on the bridge all game just at the edge of the viewing distance from the center node gunning down flyers with one shot the second they get close. But lately... everybody does it. And apparently, admins have nothing against it. So here's me cracking this thing down:

Well it's more to do with the fact that it's part of the map design then any apathy to campers. One person holds the node with the rail tank while their team mates attack the node on the other side of the volcano.

2. It's a flyers' map. 99% of the time you're in a flyer and there's no practical way to get even to the nearest node without flying. Well bad news for you buddy, because the rail tank blows you out of the sky with one shot and you won't even see it coming. And his little brother the hellbender turret does it in one and a pinch, just the same. Flying for a good deal of seconds in a rush to the nearest node to avoid the cutoff of 2-3 other nodes? No matter, here's faithful Jonny Rail-Cannon with his big shot tank putting an end to that - start over and pray he doesn't see you! Every. Fcking. Time.

As others have pointed out you can normally get to this player by flying under the bridge and coming up from behind. The rail tank can't raise it's arm very high so once you're above it - it's there for the taking. If the hellbender is covering the rail tank there's 3 nukes on this map to help take one of them out before coming back for a second attack on whatever is left. You can also team up with 2/3 team mates and assault the bridge rather then the node and take them out.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

elect
Description: Srly? Are u kidding me?

Postby elect » Thu 3. Jul 2014, 15:34

Kenny--OMG!! wrote:Bare in mind I'm really trying to dial down the immensity of my frustration while writing this after the game tonight.

That's precisely called camping the vehicle. Say it with me: c-a-m-p-i-n-g.

I lolled hard... :lol:

Anyway, I tend to not consider camping if who is using the rail tank (is the one-shot-one kill tank?) is the losing team, otherwise I agree with you.

In general I stop pushing as soon as we got the central node close to the enemy, then I defend it from the turrets

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”