Aggressive Alleys

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
[P]etya

Aggressive Alleys

Postby [P]etya » Mon 7. Jul 2014, 09:57

I'm going to write a short, but I hope accurate review about this ap.

Well, I've played this map quite many times and I like it. However it has small flaws, which can be fixed rather easily. Since I'm not a person of writing long reviews and such things, so I'm going to list the main things.

Things I liked
+Unshielded nodes: Gives tactical advantage and the losing team can target these to give a painful blow to the enemy. Should be employed on more maps.
+Supports vehicle based playstyle and no-vehicle playstyle: There aren't many Goliaths and Badgers which can one-hit kill infantry and some of the nodes are located in places, where they can't be approached by vehicles.
+The node setup is simple, but gives many options, so it isn't so straightforward. I like these.
+Not so spammy: I don't have to worry about being killed after the 10seconds of respawning.

Things I disliked
-Spider Mines: Maybe I am the only one, who hates this weapon so well. Even in my point of view Spider Mine Launcher is something which should be forgotten and since this map has lots of narrow places they can be rather painful to deal with.
-Ladders: Climbing up on them takes relatively long time and they are somewhat glitchy and they aren't fit in UT2004 in my opinion. Individuals can only move up or down on them, so if there is an obstacle in the way, they have to start climbing up again.
Possible fix: Either put jump pads at ladders or replace the ladders with lifts.
-Unshielded nodes can be victims of Goliaths easily: The windows make it possible for Goliath users to take down the unshielded nodes and this could prevent the losing team from getting those nodes.
Possible fix: The easiest would be removing Goliath and other vehicles which uses splash damage, however it would be dumb and it wouldn't be good for the map. Either wall the windows, or make a "case" for those nodes, where they can remain safe from these attacks.

This would be my review. Some people mentioned that the alleys are too dark and it is hard to notice players in them. While I still think that SpankJonx is darker, I think making the darker parts a little bit brighter wouldn't hurt.
I hope I could prove useful information.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Re: Aggressive Alleys

Postby Pegasus » Mon 7. Jul 2014, 23:01

Hey Petya. Don't worry about your feedback needing to be extensive enough before it's considered useful; as far as we're concerned, getting people to provide commentary of any length on the hosted content and tell us what about them they found to've worked well or poorly is exactly the kind of reason this msg. board was created for in the first place. Well, that and messing about as a community even when we're not ingame.

As to your points now, while I can't say my own appraisal of Aggressive Alleys is overall as favourable as yours, I do agree that it offers a decent mix of vehicular and on-foot action. While I'm not a fan of its orthogonal geometry myself (yeah, yeah, I know, it's supposed to simulate an urban environment and that's how those look; still doesn't make it good) and feel like the long lines of sight it provides are probably the main reason that so much camping tends to take place (ppl sitting back and sniping at each other, or one-shotting from inside their goliaths those trying to move the match along by raiding enemy nodes), I share your disdain for the map's overall low lighting and also consider the use of ladders as a detrimental factor to the gameflow there myself (argh, why not jumppads?). Oh, and yeah, mines definitely don't help either, what with the little room people are afforded in Aggressive Alleys, esp. indoors; instead, goodies that, to my mind anyway, would've benefited the gameplay a lot more would include the UT3 jump boots and the EMP deployer (both found in the other, bit more popular, urban themed map we've hosted before, Downtown, funnily enough). What's most baffling though is that I can't help think how this map missed a beat by not providing any means for peds (or even raptors, as those are in there too, for some reason!) to take the fight to the roofs, which would actually give the heavier armoured vecs something to really worry about, instead of just how soon they should bounce a shell off a wall or slip it through a window for easy kills - would probably unclog the 1st floor level a bit more from the many objectives placed there too. Narrow passageways inside buildings would still be an issue, but I'm focusing on ways one could spruce up the map a bit without taking a sledgehammer to its basic structure.

Still undecided on the matter of unshielded nodes here. Sounds like an intriguing idea alright, but after a few years of [s]OnslaughtSpecials[/s] UltimateMappingTools offering that functionality and numerous people trying 'em out, I've yet to see a map use it in some imaginative way that improves the experience. I dunno, maybe it's just me :/.

Bottom line is, when it comes to Aggressive Alleys, critique and ingame comments often point to the same thing: darkness, NO ladders!

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 7. Jul 2014, 23:41

Nice work Pet :thumbup: Over all feedback of this map has been good, but there's always room for improvement and constructive criticisms is very welcome.

I agree about the darkness and ladders, both of which could be easily fixed at some point. Removing all the sniper riffles and just having lighting guns would also be nice.

Personally I like the open nodes, they seem to make the map (which is quite small) feel bigger and more open to me. The mines are also something which I personally like. Hide a few of them in a doorway and they can take a sizable chunk out of a tanks health while you're waiting above for an ambush.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Tue 8. Jul 2014, 14:21

While I don't completely agree with the darkness, there are parts of the map which are somewhat abnormally darker. Well they are alleys, but they should be a little bit brighter. On the other hand darkness can be the ally for the blue team, because blue tends to be less visible in darkness and some characters such as Matrix, Abaddon are extremely hard to notice in very dark areas.

As for the ladders, they surely have to be gone. The system of UT2004 doesn't really support ladders and why would it anyway, the game has more awesome features (jump pads, lifts, teleports).

EmanReleipS
Description: Pancake Fairy

Postby EmanReleipS » Tue 8. Jul 2014, 23:53

The ladders really should be replaced with jump pads. I also think a big obstacle should be placed in the center of the map to prevent tanks from shooting all over the map and into the other base, as Peg has mentioned. But overall, it is a fun and enjoyable map.

Karma_geddon
Description: from Italy

Postby Karma_geddon » Tue 5. Aug 2014, 14:18

[P]etya wrote:While I don't completely agree with the darkness, there are parts of the map which are somewhat abnormally darker. Well they are alleys, but they should be a little bit brighter. On the other hand darkness can be the ally for the blue team, because blue tends to be less visible in darkness and some characters such as Matrix, Abaddon are extremely hard to notice in very dark areas.

As for the ladders, they surely have to be gone. The system of UT2004 doesn't really support ladders and why would it anyway, the game has more awesome features (jump pads, lifts, teleports).

After a recent match on this map, I specifically endorse everything that Pet said up there.

There are some very dark alleys where blues are basically invisible (and not just hard to notice, like in SpankJox - although even SpankJox could benefit from a solution to that issue).
Also, the ladders in this map are very exposed and you will die while climbing on them at least 50% of the times. Not like in Playground, where the ladders are a ninja (and usually safe enough) way to reach the primary. The UT3 boots could be of some help here.

Bonus proposition: this map has a number of tanks and badgers in a relatively tight space... So, what about an EMP mine? It could help to counter the over-use of tanks, and it could be placed like a unique super-weapon in the middle of the map to avoid it being over-used too.
You can find me on fb here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/paolo.davolio.3

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Tue 5. Aug 2014, 14:38

Karma_geddon wrote:Bonus proposition: this map has a number of tanks and badgers in a relatively tight space... So, what about an EMP mine? It could help to counter the over-use of tanks, and it could be placed like a unique super-weapon in the middle of the map to avoid it being over-used too.

Spoiler: I have played the map and the upcoming version will have 2 EMP machines.

Btw about the EMP: It is very hard to use the EMP efficiently furthermore the player has to be close to the targetted vehicle. Isn't it possible to make the EMP launcher work as the Bombin Run launcher works? (Locking the target and after the ball has been shot the ball follows the target until it reaches it or crashes into an obstacle)

fors
Description: skype:mushiak14

Postby fors » Tue 5. Aug 2014, 17:15

Goliath on this map is the most stupid thing I've seen in the all unreal! I see every time ---> the beginning of the game, the first 30 seconds, 5 people are running to the next node, building it, aaaaand? on 31 seconds into their destroys tank! with me, together with the node... nobody even understood nothing... and so throughout the game - my team is just to die and feed of camper, and they are not even aware of it. It is fair? and what can they do?
from this tank, there is no hiding place, he was constantly repairing and even if it will be destroyed, then after 30 seconds he was again restored, despite the fact that destroy it very rarely. if only I shall destroyed in spawn I can forgive, but beside me kill 10 people and and look at it much more painful.
someone should either increase the spawn of the tank up to 5 minutes or even delete it. this tank spoils the game for the whole team and the team's nothing can do!. to destroy its conventional forces - it is impossible. In GENERAL impossible! all who are within the field of view will be immediately destroyed in 1 shot even on the second floor. reedimer? the chance that Redeemer will be destroyed - high chance, that will destroy its owner - much higher. you can try to bypass it from the flank, but you have to sneak past 10 enemy at least. in this map is also impossible. so? the only way is to press the half of the team and with great losses to crush it with spam. who likes to be cannon fodder? I hope I explained all about what thought the soldiers with whom I fell because of this imbalance.

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Mon 25. Aug 2014, 21:04

Recent matches gave me the impression that there are too many vehicles which can do splash damage and this makes other vehicles nearly useless. I suppose you should replace the normal Badger with FlameBadger or with something different, but I think the normal Badger should be gone.

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Mon 4. May 2015, 19:45

I may sound critical now. Well it is kind of inevitable to sound critical now, but... the updates made this map worse than it was originally.
Flame Badger campers are worse than Goliath campers. They are more decimating because of those fire blobs. Even if the player survives the blast, the blobs will kill him.
People are able to vehicle wall climb on the buildings where those collectibles can be found. If somebody manages to get a Badger on the top of that building, then it becomes a nice camping spot for that person. Problem is, that it is very hard to take such players out due to the lack of flyers. I think either remove all badgers from the map or give the players flyers so they can deal with such players.

This is only an oddity not a real issue, but the Ion Painter is a worse weapon than the Redeemer, yet it is located in the center of the map. I think the center of the map should have the most powerful stuff, because it should worth the risk.

I hope I provided useful feedback.

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”