ONS-ArtilleryHill-beta1

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
Cat1981England

ONS-ArtilleryHill-beta1

Postby Cat1981England » Thu 19. Feb 2015, 21:42

ONS-ArtilleryHill-beta1

For some reason whenever this map is played on the server half the players leave and the remaining half all plod along for 20 minutes before cheering when it's finally finished. Could someone please tell me what the problem is with this map because it doesn't seem to have any fundamental problems. It's well made, good performance, I can't see any bugs, stocked weapon lockers, a healthy range of vehicles, an interesting link setup and the real possibility of both comebacks and winning before overtime.

So does anyone have any ideas what the problem is, or even better some suggestions on how it could be improved?

AHMM.png
AHMM.png (82.96 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Maniac
Description: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Re: ONS-ArtilleryHill-beta1

Postby Maniac » Fri 20. Feb 2015, 17:47

I won't touch this map for a long time, but here are some notes:
- it needs a new minimap image;
- ambient light may be brighter, it's too dark now
- SPMA is useless with so many manta/scorpion spawns. Either replace it with some badass Minotaur, or remove 3/4 of Mantas, or both. The central node must give a big advantage to the owning team, and with current nodes and vehicles setup, only thing it gives is pain in the arse.
- it lacks this "something"... A usual two-circular-ways-around-map-edges, and not even neatly done. I guess even minor cosmetic edits can make it times better

Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Postby Dalyup! » Sat 21. Feb 2015, 01:03

Things that strike out from memory:

- The middle node is practically useless since 1) it links to nothing; 2) it has nothing particularly useful in it; 3) even if it did, it would have to be exclusively flying vehicles as the time it takes to get from the middle node to any other of the nodes is not worth it.
- Running from that, only flying vehicles strike me as useful in this map due to the node layout. Ground vehicles have to traverse a relatively large distance to get to the next available node which is hampered by their speed and the steep hills. They're only good for defence or if the next node along their side is available.
- So flying vehicles dominate and while there's a large number of them, there isn't usually enough for all.
- And yeah, that minimap image is ugly.

Basically, it strikes me as a map where only flying vehicles are good. You can't even hellbender camp very well as nothing much happens at the middle node and as flying vehicles will predominantly be used to attack, the number of points of entry is large.

-Nick-

Postby -Nick- » Sat 21. Feb 2015, 17:58

Dalyup! wrote:only flying vehicles strike me as useful in this map due to the node layout. Ground vehicles have to traverse a relatively large distance to get to the next available node which is hampered by their speed and the steep hills.

Completely agree.

The nodes which are unlocked are on the other side of the map, which lacks flow. If you had the nodes linked in a linear way, like 3-4-5 6-2-1, then that would have a better flow, but you would still have all that empty space in the middle. I actually don't think a linear setup would be best, though. Making the middle node an importance seems like a good idea. Node 2 is an important node, but I've never liked how it's placed in the corner. There's not much room in that area compared with the other nodes.

Maniac wrote:ambient light may be brighter, it's too dark now

This hasn't been an issue for myself.

Maniac wrote:it needs a new minimap image

Agreed.

I'm familiar with this map, but looking at the mini-map i wouldn't have a clue what is what. The colour makes it hard. Just looks like splodges of grey, rather than terrain which you can distinguish without looking at the terrain it's self.

-Lacks flow
-Falling in that bloody water :smartass:
-Flying vehicles do dominate
-Bland landscape

fors
Description: skype:mushiak14

Postby fors » Tue 29. Sep 2015, 03:42

It is artillery hill, seriously ? More like a children's sandbox. Had to make a small revolution for the map lives up to its name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=Sn8da2Bkg7s
I asked a friend to help make a video showing the changes on the map, for your convenience.

Good news:

map has become much bulkier, more interesting and varied
fully rebalanced vehicles and weapon lockers
added 4 new nodes
on the top center node has more space, as in the other nodes (Funky, you're gonna like this)
remade the connection between the nodes
some superfluous objects and brushes are removed or replaced with more simple
- 3~4Gb superfluous map weight (removed a lot of the excess from the card as a whole (and MyLevel Package was cleared))
the big reconstruction of the landscape (more smoother)
big optimization done
the author's idea was improved
aligned symmetrical the location of the nodes (Maniac, please rate this)
the image for the minimap changed

Disadvantages:

almost at 5 GB map is more weighing
overall performance was lower by about 5-7 fps (this was due to the addition of new nodes)
reworked base (why the disadvantage? - it was a forced action)
increased the number of textures in MyLevel (models I specifically made negligibly small)
the number of objects is increased significantly

Minimum fps on the map in single player (I have) approximately 75, the average fps on the map 80-85 (this means that the performance map is close to existing, for example Alien or Kingdom, and better than some)(video settings highest of course)
The number of mantas on the previous version was 11 pieces, I also was surprised by this, now they are 6 pieces.
Now on the map to fit more players, but this map is not physically suitable for 32 players. 10-24 optimally
Ema! Prior to this, nodes were arranged not in order (I'm talking about the numbering), ahead your request I rearranged them in the correct order.

At the moment I only have 2 questions. How to correct image distortion in the dungeon (3:15 min) and delete the screenshots in the description of the map that is shown when you view the map through the browser cards in the individual game mode (when selecting a map)

I have attached an archive with 2 versions of the map, they are absolutely identical, but "bonus" added scripts. The fact that they reduce the overall performance of maps at 3-4 fps, and I don't know exactly how it will react to the players. But the first version is fully stable and tested several times.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2ixf5ofb6dw5 ... ha.7z?dl=0

Special thanks to Sedoy! He supplied me with the necessary knowledge about the Unreal Editor, and I just applied them in practice. And I thank him for these delightful turrets at my request.
And a special thanks to Phobia, the same friend who at my request made a video for you, (if you want you can subscribe to his channel, he will be very thankful to you С: )

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 29. Sep 2015, 21:30

A big thank you for your work on this Fors, it looks really good :yippiiieh: The map size isn't an issue as it's only an extra 2.5mb once compressed and the fps seems fine to me :thumbup:

Fors wrote:At the moment I only have 2 questions. How to correct image distortion in the dungeon (3:15 min)

That's called a Hall of Mirrors effect (hom) and is caused by an issue with the BSP tree. It can be very hard to find the culprit, but personally i use trial-and-error and delete a selection of brushes, rebuild, delete some more, rebuild.... until i find the one or more that is causing the error. This is something that would need to be fixed before this can go on permanently.

I would start with the compex ones and the brushes which are not align to the grid. By the way, quite a few of the brush are not aligned to the grid which will almost always give you problems.

and delete the screenshots in the description of the map that is shown when you view the map through the browser cards in the individual game mode (when selecting a map)

Select an image such as Shot00023 in your texture browser, then go to "View", "Level Properties", "Level Summary", "Screenshot" and select use. It's a good idea to have at least one map image because some of the players use them in the voting menu if they can't remember what the map is.

Some other things i noticed,

- StaticMeshActor391 collision is too big. Either remove it's collision and make your own blocking volume or raise the ground around it.
- You can only see the top half of the centre node doors (StaticMeshActor569 etc) from the outside.
- The 4 cables running towards the centre node (StaticMeshActor527 etc) go through the wall and inside the bunker.
- The 8 bunkers at the centre of the map (StaticMeshActor298 etc) have blocking volumes, they may not be nessasry as the ones on Omahabeach don't have them.
- You could possibly replace the ladders with the ones from ymme_HardwareStat to save map size.

------

I've tried it on the testing server and everything seems to be working ok. [s]I think it should go on now so we can get some proper testing with players even though it has got that hom issue.[/s]

Feedback please people!

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

fors

Postby fors » Wed 30. Sep 2015, 17:55

Cat, thank you! This article helped me, the problem was a too close distance fog. With the rest I also figured out.
files
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7365wa5x8f3v ... al.7z?dl=0

Good news:
removed superfluous map weight -1 MB
error in the dungeon fully fixed

Cat1981England wrote:Some other things i noticed,

1 complete! - I disabled the collision (if understood correctly) and added locking Volum
2 no complete - I just don't have any ideas what I could do about it and how important this is.
3 complete! - in the game it would be unnoticeable and not important, but I fixed it.
4 complete! - I didn't know that such a static mesh exists at all (which is why I made my mesh in the editor that has an uncorrectable error of converting) thanks for the info
5 complete! - actually I did not think that you will install on the server this bulky package (I already dealt with him) especially since most of it is not being used, and loading to the server take longer, but it's not my business - I did as you said.

about the brushes, they were not aligned even before my edit, you can verify this (don't know why but I could not get them to align), but my brushes unfortunately must be not aligned, because I adapted the space under the existing terrain and objects and it was not easy. If I had to adapt to the terrain beneath space and the space under the terrain, it would be already create a new map.

We can start testing!

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Wed 30. Sep 2015, 19:27

Nice Fors.
The video is also nice.

Just had a short look at your first version (Can't open the second because of the ymme_HardwareStat.usx. What to do with that Cat? I put it in the StaticMeshes and Textures folder. Didn't work).

The bunkers were the cabels were running through. I could get inside but not out. (Don't ask why i go inside.)

fors

Postby fors » Wed 30. Sep 2015, 21:00

Miauz55555 wrote:Nice Fors.
The video is also nice.

Just had a short look at your first version (Can't open the second because of the ymme_HardwareStat.usx. What to do with that Cat? I put it in the StaticMeshes and Textures folder. Didn't work).

The bunkers were the cabels were running through. I could get inside but not out. (Don't ask why i go inside.)

strange... I used the identical package, I even checked it by to connected to the server several times. Just in case I have Redownloaded this package and have reinstalled the meshes. I also put the blocking volume in the bunkers. Miauz, thank yo for checking! But if you can, please check again the version with the fix. Here is the new file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/znuc0a8izs2oy ... V2.7z?dl=0

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 30. Sep 2015, 21:37

Thank you again for your work on this Fors :clap:

fors wrote:Cat, thank you! This article helped me, the problem was a too close distance fog. With the rest I also figured out.

Nice one. One negative side effect now is the cull distance of the boxes is too low (10000) and they pop into view as you travel along the mover. There's no need for cull distance inside the tunnels as the zone portals will stop them from being rendered if they are out of the players view.

1 complete! - I disabled the collision (if understood correctly) and added locking Volum

The problem is that if you walk between the lights of the static mesh you can walk over thin air. It does actually have the correct collision in the static mesh browser (pink), so i would recommend you delete the blocking volume you added and the existing static mesh and then re-add it from the browser.

collision.png
collision.png (171.95 KiB) Viewed 3560 times

2 no complete - I just don't have any ideas what I could do about it and how important this is.

Try deleting the subtraction brush (yellow) for the two doorways and make a new smaller one that can only be seen inside the node room.

3 complete! - in the game it would be unnoticeable and not important, but I fixed it.

4 complete! - I didn't know that such a static mesh exists at all (which is why I made my mesh in the editor that has an uncorrectable error of converting) thanks for the info

:thumbup:

5 complete! - actually I did not think that you will install on the server this bulky package (I already dealt with him) especially since most of it is not being used, and loading to the server take longer, but it's not my business - I did as you said.

You are right, it is quite bulky, but i think we can use this pack on many maps in the future as there is a lot of good stuff in there.

about the brushes, they were not aligned even before my edit, you can verify this (don't know why but I could not get them to align), but my brushes unfortunately must be not aligned, because I adapted the space under the existing terrain and objects and it was not easy. If I had to adapt to the terrain beneath space and the space under the terrain, it would be already create a new map.

Do you have toggle drag grid enabled?

tdg.png
tdg.png (273 Bytes) Viewed 3560 times

We can start testing!

:thumbup:

Miauz55555 wrote:(Can't open the second because of the ymme_HardwareStat.usx. What to do with that Cat? I put it in the StaticMeshes and Textures folder. Didn't work).

Sorry Miau, i should have been more clear. .usx files go into the StaticMeshes folder and .utx in Textures.

Just extract this into your UT2004 folder :thumbup:

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”