Kingdom

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Kingdom

Postby Zon3r » Wed 15. Apr 2015, 19:01

Let's get to the point.

--- Removing the WGS nuke from the base to an unknown location: it was essential in taking out enemy nodes mostly if they had our primaries. i have no idea why did you move them, i have no time to search for it while i'm trying to play.
--- Removing the dragon: why? the only major laming with it was done by sonic and thundercat, mostly thundercat. it was the only flyer that could counter the falcon if seen in time, it was replaced with a cicada, At least if you would have replaced the hammerhead with a phoenix, it would be more useful. Draco is not really strong against a falcon either.
--- Replacing the portable ion cannon with a useless emp mine: Why??? the cannon was very good at taking out the middle nodes, why taking it away?

Conclusion: I have no idea why did you think this map needs editing, it has no more bugs than others, i see no performance difference. the only good thing that i saw about this edit was that the badgers were moved inside the base.

This is only my opinion

Cat1981England
Administrator

Re: Kingdom

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 15. Apr 2015, 21:41

Did you lose by any chance Zon :D

Zon3r wrote:--- Removing the WGS nuke from the base to an unknown location: it was essential in taking out enemy nodes mostly if they had our primaries. i have no idea why did you move them, i have no time to search for it while i'm trying to play.

They haven't been moved or removed, it's just their bases are no longer visible. There's one at each core along with the strike painters as before.

--- Removing the dragon: why? the only major laming with it was done by sonic and thundercat, mostly thundercat. it was the only flyer that could counter the falcon if seen in time, it was replaced with a cicada, At least if you would have replaced the hammerhead with a phoenix, it would be more useful. Draco is not really strong against a falcon either.

Well i'm not sure I agree. There was a lot of laming and it was probably the second greatest contributer to player complaints after Omaha. If the core was more sheltered such as on Grit it probably could have stayed, but as it was, it only needed someone to drop a bomb on the opposition core and players would go flying and all their vehicles would be destroyed.

--- Replacing the portable ion cannon with a useless emp mine: Why??? the cannon was very good at taking out the middle nodes, why taking it away?

Well it was rarely used and the emp mine can be very useful if placed in the correct spot. If you placed it somewhere around the entrance to these middle nodes you'll kick the driver out of anything that comes near which is very useful against the Badgers, Mantas and Falcon which normally attack those nodes.

Conclusion: I have no idea why did you think this map needs editing, it has no more bugs than others, i see no performance difference.

If the map has an equal number of bugs to other maps then why not fix it?

A very small fps increase but much better network performance. The map itself was very buggy with lots of invisible collisions on rocks, trees etc floating objects and buildings that you could fly through.

This is only my opinion

Peoples thoughts and ideas are always welcome, particularly from the more experienced players :thumbup:

Here's the list of changes:

Bug/fixes:

- Replaced the rocks with awful collision boxes.
- Removed collisions from small objects such as plants.
- Fixed collisions of towers, lamp posts, pillars.
- Fixed floating tress and centralised their blocking volumes.
- Re-did all anti-portals and placed invisible collision hulls inside of them.
- Altered skybox to minimise the popping in of terrain in the distance.
- A few other small performance tweaks.
- Updated weapon lockers and nodes.

Gameplay:

- Replaced all Scorpions with EONS-Scorpions as their speed and arching weapon is more useful on this map.
- Updated Badgers and moved them inside the base as players tend to damage them from the central hills.
- Moved Mantas to the right hand side ledge as some people use them to quickly get to the Falcon.
- Replaced Dragons with Cicadas. The Dragons are mainly used to spam from distance and spawn kill at cores. The Cicadas should still allow teams to kill the core before overtime.
- Replaced Hammerheads with Dracos. Hammerheads are fairly pointless and the Dracos should be used to attack and hold the two central nodes.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Thu 16. Apr 2015, 06:40

All i'm saying is, too much change can kill the map, the same happened to shipdock, it was very popular before the edit, after that it just died.

[P]etya

Postby [P]etya » Sun 19. Apr 2015, 19:34

Shipdock is pretty much alive. It is still popular. Those changes were necessary.

Removing the Dragon was a nice move. Not only those ppl you mentioned used it for spam, it was used for that purpose by many individuals. Dragon spam isn't really counterable by other flyers on that map. Those rockets follow the target so evading them isn't really possible.

The portable Ion Cannon didn't serve its purpose too well. The damage done by it just isn't enough to take out a node. EMP mine on the other hand can neutralize Minotaurs which you can take afterwards.

Pegasus
Description: ONSWordFactory

Postby Pegasus » Sun 19. Apr 2015, 21:47

Dragon AA rockets can easily be evaded by most types of non-slow moving vehicles, and particularly by flyers, simply by banking sideways while facing their origin point or generally driving perpendicularly to their flight path because they have a relatively slow rate of turn (similarly to the raptor's own), even though they can indeed pick and [try to] track a target. For pedestrians things are, admittedly, harder so seeking temporary cover would be the best idea. Still, the fact that these homing AA rockets are relatively easy to dodge in most vecs, and therefore generally constitute a minimal threat unless their victim isn't afforded enough room to maneuver, shouldn't be taken as an implication that they have no overall effect to gameplay quality. The rate at which a Dragon can fire 'em does constitute a problem (aptly identified as "dragon spam"), both by virtue of them being a substantial drain on server resources, network and CPU alike, as well as due to how they tend to undermine players' sense of fair play by cheapening skill-based combat (getting fragged from beyond the fog by a barrage of rockets ain't exactly fun).
Now, one could argue that most levi variants, as well as other, custom AA-firing land-based vecs (Arbalest, Nexus ML, Hurricane, Assault Scorpion, Warthog, etc.) constitute a similar gameplay quality detriment and that there's no point focusing more on the Dragon when examining the auto-homing rockets issue in its totality, but IMO the combination of spamming AAs with an airborne platform that can reach any point quickly enough would make this particular flyer a higher priority candidate. To be fair, the Dragon is also a multi-passenger bomber with sufficient staying power (even though I don't consider it an air superiority craft), and both those traits make it an interesting piece of custom content with a unique n' worthwhile role to play in battlefields - well, those big enough to suitably accommodate it, anyway - so I don't mean for my commentary here to be mistaken as a call for its removal from maps like Kingdom, Omaha or any other place where it's already become a staple. Instead, it's intended as more of a conversation starter on how the Dragon might be better evolved or changed over time in terms of its #2 seat so that it can still be useful, but also contribute to more fair and challenging gameplay, because as things stand now, I don't really see its AAs as achieving anything close to that.

Btw, the Portable Ion Cannon's purpose was only ever to allow its user to fire the beam at any kinda static surface, regardless of its angle/orientation. In other words, it was never supposed to be able to take down a node in one hit, just as the stock Target Painter isn't expected to (each of its six consecutive blasts does 150hp of damage at a growing radius, as per this). It can be handy in a number of other ways that its node-killing superweapon equivalent (the redeemer) can't though ;).

Anyway, sorry for the impromptu derailing rant there, feel free to carry on discussing your original topic :).

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”