ONS-CaptainSors_Island_of_Pwnage

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
joeblow
Description: male gamer

ONS-CaptainSors_Island_of_Pwnage

Postby joeblow » Wed 16. Mar 2016, 20:37

dunno the name I call it Nightmare cuz it gave me one.

Captingordons layout/lava/ all fog.

Kill the fog please.

It was maps like these with fog and adding the super shock rifle to maps totally killed the DW ONS server.

It gives the advantage to the 10 great players at the expense of the other 500 active players.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Re: that map last night!

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 16. Mar 2016, 23:59

Thanks for bring this up Joe. I hope that everyone who has an issue with a map will post here as it's far more constructive then simply making a throw away comment on the server :thumbup:

ONS-CaptainSors_Island_of_Pwnage is the name of the map.

CaptainGordon was requested shortly before Christmas by one of the players, we gave it a trial run and people liked it. It was rejected partly because of the way it looked but also because of its vulnerability to any sort of fog hack. As a compromise we rebuilt it, making it a terrain based map so the rise and fall of the terrain could counter any fog hacks as well as making it a bit nicer to the eye.

Even if someone is using this sort of hack, the benefit of doing so is severely limited. If you look at it in the editor with the fog disabled, you can see how this works,

capfog.png
capfog.png (396.39 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

To be fair, it was played last night on a full server which i don't think is an ideal number of players for a map of this size. None the less, we did note yours and Pams comments about the fog distance and have already started on a final edit with the fog distance increased from 10,000 to 18,000.

Finally, regarding maps like this killing the server. You may be right, but as you can see above, we are only responding to the wishes of the players. People ask for a map, people complain about a map, we try and find a compromise even if it means spending a weekend making something like this :dunnosoz: I'm not sure what else we can do other then to become dictators.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

joeblow

Re: that map last night!

Postby joeblow » Thu 17. Mar 2016, 17:17

Cat you are correct!

The positive is the varied terrian makes the map more interesting then a totally flat plane like the original.

If you want change my title to something that makes more sense to everyone.

joeblow

Re: ONS-CaptainSors_Island_of_Pwnage

Postby joeblow » Fri 18. Mar 2016, 19:26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJa9xFd ... e=youtu.be

I demoed what I see in game . It is very choppy. I cant get VLC to record a good demo. I think my computer is too slow to run UT and VLC at the same time.

7 min mark I get into a little sniper duel with Crazy.....and I get him!

Butze
Description: nüscht

Postby Butze » Mon 21. Mar 2016, 22:12

joeblow wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJa9xFd7tzI&feature=youtu.be

I demoed what I see in game . It is very choppy. I cant get VLC to record a good demo. I think my computer is too slow to run UT and VLC at the same time.

7 min mark I get into a little sniper duel with Crazy.....and I get him!

try
Nvidia ShadowPlay
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/shadowplay

or

"DXTory" -> http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html
with
"Lagarith Lossless Codec" -> http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

or Matrox VFW Software Codecs
http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/ ... ersion2.0/

or fraps ;)

joeblow

Postby joeblow » Tue 22. Mar 2016, 01:20

Thanks.

I will try some other programs.

My quad core runs 100% cpu when I record a UT demo file so I think I am just computer limited.

smalltown
Description: UT 2004 cunt player

Postby smalltown » Tue 22. Mar 2016, 09:18

the map is good as it is no need to change just add some raptors or mantas above the core as there is nothing above it when you jump from the jump-pad...
:firedevil: :firedevil: STOMBOTOWN :firedevil: :firedevil: :machinegun: :cool2cool: :yoman:

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Sat 26. Mar 2016, 22:27

Can't add a Raptor as you get some visual glitches the higher up you go. Could add another Manta but it may ruin the balance of the map as there's already 4. What about if we moved the double damage up there?

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 27. Mar 2016, 14:48

ONS-CaptainSors_Island_of_Pwnage_C. If you are missing any files you'll need to download the map pack

- Damage volume added to the top of the volcanoes. You can still use the Hellbender up there, but just try and miss the lava.
- Blocking volume added to the top of the centre wall for the Manta.
- Some terrain editing to stop the EONScorpion being thrown about too much as it drives around.
- Increased fog distance from 10,000 to 15,000. Couldn't go any higher for performance reasons.
- Two anti-portals and invisible collision hulls added under two of the small bumps in the terrain.
- Blocking volumes placed around some walls and towers to fix visual glitches.
- Core double damage pickup moved to the core roof.
- Some minor tweaks to the emitters.

Big thank you to Miau for his bug hunting :thumbup:

]M[
Description: laggy but not too shabby^

Postby ]M[ » Fri 8. Apr 2016, 13:06

Hugest Congrats to the mapmakers - this is a really great edit/re-texturing, imo :award:

...map looks brilliant, is a joy to play, and this - along with the edits to Block/LegoFort, Xfire/MoonDragon, Halloween, etc... - really breathes life into this great old game :thumbup: :)

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”