Ons-Baldur-BETA2-GL-C

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
Dalyup!
Description: Haggis

Ons-Baldur-BETA2-GL-C

Postby Dalyup! » Sun 17. Apr 2016, 23:39

Post any feedback you have for this map. In case you didn't know the GL in the map's title refers to Gloups who edited this iteration of map, so thanks for that Gloups.

My own feedback:

Overall, a beautiful looking map and quite different from the norm in its openness. It's quite a pleasant change from the confined visual nature of other maps and the colour scheme feels unique. Ignoring the gameplay issues, it's quite stand-out.

But it does have gameplay issues:

• The low-gravity is fine but it's not expressed very well or at all that there is none in the buildings. Perhaps some sort of visual cue, like passable force fields at all the entrances to give the feeling you are entering somewhere protected? Might give a better impression to people.
  • Single node primary node layouts almost never work, i.e. they lead to grinding stalemates. That's what happened when I played this map. Perhaps re-organise the map by making the distance outside nodes primaries as well.
  • If you want to keep the single primary at least rotate the terrain of the primaries a bit. It is almost completely exposed from every angle except from the core, which makes it really hard to keep up. The attacking team also get loads of flyers so you can't really defend it with a paladin (which you don't have the core anyway).
  • Re-organise or change the vehicles in the middle nodes. They are fine as they if the node that needs to be attacked from the primary didn't have a powerfully positioned paladin defending it and the other middle node didn't have a tank that can snipe the primary. You could even swap these two vehicles and it might be okay.
  • Replace all normal scorpions with EONS scorpions. Normal scorpions are just useless and the distances from the core to any node is quite far on foot.
  • The vehicles at the core seem quite woeful (I only remember 3, only 1 was a flyer), especially with large amounts of players

EmanReleipS
Description: Pancake Fairy

Re: Ons-Baldur-BETA2-GL-C

Postby EmanReleipS » Mon 18. Apr 2016, 00:06

I agree with Dally's points.

We played this map tonight and it's really, really hard to make a comeback, because if you only have your primary, the other team has two paladins, two goliaths (from the 4 center nodes) and the 2 cicadas from the nodes at the far sides. The enemy team just has too many strong vehicles and the primary is too open, without even a paladin to protect it. Also, the goliaths and paladins can attack the primary from inside the buildings where they spawn. I think there should be two primaries, with stronger vehicles, and fewer strong vehicles at the 4 center nodes.

Dalyup! wrote:[*]The low-gravity is fine but it's not expressed very well or at all that there is none in the buildings. Perhaps some sort of visual cue, like passable force fields at all the entrances to give the feeling you are entering somewhere protected? Might give a better impression to people.

Maybe something like the design of the air shields in Borderlands The Pre-Sequel? It makes it very clear that you are entering a building and something will be different once you are inside. Look at the doorway here in this screenshot (underneath the "Dahl" sign):

Also, I think the lightning gun ammo should either be removed or drastically reduced (or only placed at the cores). It's a bit too much sniping, since you can snipe over the entire map.

Lastly, the bridge between the center nodes.....the hills at the ends of the bridge are too steep. I'd make them a bit less steep so that big vehicles can use the bridge. If you don't want goliaths or paladins to use it, maybe you could make it so small that no one will try. I wasted a tank there.
Baldur center bridge.jpg
Baldur center bridge.jpg (1014.77 KiB) Viewed 1350 times

It's a beautiful map, though. I really like the design. Thanks for giving us a new map to play, Gloupy! :yippiiieh:

]M[
Description: laggy but not too shabby^

Postby ]M[ » Mon 18. Apr 2016, 13:00

yep, great looking map :thumbup: - and potentially much fun to play, except for the near-choke situation once one team has taken the centre area...

...so, how about a (tactical) Ion tank in each base, to facilitate defense/comeback? x)

GLoups!
Description: Just play for fun.

Postby GLoups! » Tue 19. Apr 2016, 19:05

Dalyup! wrote:If you want to keep the single primary at least rotate the terrain of the primaries a bit. It is almost completely exposed from every angle except from the core, which makes it really hard to keep up...

Well, i think the threes of you are right, i'm going to look at this, the harder point is that the mountains seems to have 2 mapping channels (first time i see this), and is in one piece, furthermore it seems it was built starting from a terrain in unrealed, texturing with layers, export as obj, and editing in a modeling software (No less!), so if i want to cut the Static-mesh i need to learn somethings.

EmanReleipS wrote:I agree with Dally's points.

We played this map tonight and it's really, really hard to make a comeback, because if you only have your primary, the other team has two paladins, two goliaths (from the 4 center nodes) and the 2 cicadas from the nodes at the far sides. The enemy team just has too many strong vehicles and the primary is too open, without even a paladin to protect it. Also, the goliaths and paladins can attack the primary from inside the buildings where they spawn. I think there should be two primaries, with stronger vehicles, and fewer strong vehicles at the 4 center nodes.

]M[ wrote:yep, great looking map :thumbup: - and potentially much fun to play, except for the near-choke situation once one team has taken the centre area...

...so, how about a (tactical) Ion tank in each base, to facilitate defense/comeback? x)

No problems for all yours points, i'll do the necessary.
I see this choke node by playing with high level bots, I shall not have think that the problem will be the same with humans, I thought to put a kind of buckler, but now may be the map can handle two primarys.

BTW always nice to have somes feebacks to improve gameflows :D

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Sat 23. Apr 2016, 18:32

Nice edit GLoups!.
I wouln't put an Ion-Tank on the map. I think it would end in massive spawnkilling in the center notes.

Is it possible to make this geysers pushing? So that you can fly high and long with the manta. Would be cool.
bal.JPG
bal.JPG (45.56 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

GLoups!

Postby GLoups! » Sat 23. Apr 2016, 20:48

Miauz55555 wrote:...
I wouln't put an Ion-Tank on the map. I think it would end in massive spawnkilling in the center notes.

Agree with you .. :p

Miauz55555 wrote:...
Is it possible to make this geysers pushing? So that you can fly high and long with the manta. Would be cool.

Sure it's possible :lol: , I am going to look for the lasts tests for the next couple of days then i'll submit the version here.

GLoups!

Postby GLoups! » Tue 26. Apr 2016, 21:37

Ons-Baldur-BETA3

More changes than expected for the new edit of this map, first of course a new link setup with two primarys, after a lots of trys there's only one that can really match with the layout, i don't think it will be a problem anymore.
A lot a vehicles changes and adds such as Eons Locust a little tweaked - sounds,handling and fastest, on this subject don't try to lead it with the side keys rather than the mouse, if not, you're going into the wall. :ghehe:
Ballista is a good alternative to the Ion Tank previously quotes by M to reinforce the cores bases, not too powerfull here but it can help and not too spammy.
The two golliath in the bases were exchanged by the goliathII which i got the permission from Binger to use , this one has a better accuracy and a longer range, feedbacks welcomes. ;)
The banshees replace conveniently the cicadas .
A better pathing for bots, now they can uses the turrets for protecting their bases.
The geyser can push manta and raptor now, thx Miauz. :lol:
The two bridges can be traveled by any vehicles, and the tower has now an 'inside' without low-gravity where is the redeemer and a supershield, to note on this subject than the Eons Locust is the only vehicle that can drive on the lava because of the bClassBlocker of the BlockingVolume setting, the glass part of the tower has no collisions for players, vehicles or weapons-shots only the raptors and redeemer projectiles (for avoid camping) are block in the same way.
Others details like eax support, ambiant sounds changes and visuals energys fields at the entrances ...

Miauz55555

Postby Miauz55555 » Wed 27. Apr 2016, 17:23

GLoups! wrote:[...] Ballista [...] not too powerfull [...] and not too spammy.[...]

We will see how I play with that nuke on chains. ;)
The two golliath in the bases were exchanged by the goliathII which i got the permission from Binger to use , this one has a better accuracy and a longer range, feedbacks welcomes. ;)

Let's see how that works.. I mean with that accuracy we can shot down every flyer. With that it's the most effective vehicle on the map.
The geyser can push manta and raptor now, thx Miauz. :lol:

Cool, nice thank you. :thumbup:
The tower is looking nice.

Cat1981England
Administrator

Postby Cat1981England » Wed 27. Apr 2016, 19:39

Thank you GL, really nice work :thumbup:

On the server now.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

[P]etya
Description: someone

Postby [P]etya » Mon 2. May 2016, 22:54

The map is lovely, but I really hate the fact that the core linking is like this: blue core - node 7, red core - node 2. This makes the game rather static as getting to the core needs these primary nodes to be knocked down first, so no other pathway is possible.

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”