ONS-Torlan-Invitation-Final

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
]M[
Description: laggy but not too shabby^

Re: ONS-Torlan-Invitation-Final

Postby ]M[ » Sun 28. Aug 2016, 14:31

Ok, yep - think we should play with this thing, evolve it into an ultimate CE-flavored Torlan of sorts... ;)

I keep thinking more of the 32p extended node setup, though it has been interesting (though tough) to play with the classic choke situation... Then again, this is much the challenge of Torlan-original - and we've had some good games with a smaller count (10-16) playing out - and it's getting played almost daily, as far as I see?

Still, I think the 32p version scales well - it can work with 12-16pp, and on and up to full server...

Re: the airship - it's quite a fun idea... again, this could evolve into a very distinctive version of a classic map, as what CE has done with Minus-Tank - what's most important from the POV of playability imo, though, is getting the right node setup & vehicle/weapon balance :)

Zon3r
Description: Don't shoot at me!

Postby Zon3r » Mon 17. Oct 2016, 19:59

This map is totally unplayable as it is right now and i'm not sure how can it be fixed, i think i have played 5-6 matches on it, it always turns one sided very quickly, the losing team having no chance of comeback, the fact that certain players like spawnkilling at the base with the ion, does not help either, you saw how the match last night went, and have found 2 other demos from that map, the same scenario every time. i'll post it here if you want to watch it
Torlan

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Mon 17. Oct 2016, 20:23

Thanks Zoner.

Currently working on a new version - built from the original but applying many of the visual changes in this version as well as the 32p tweaks from our old one. Should be up for testing in a week or so.

-----

The only thing i would say about our current version is that people are not playing it right. The Manta and Raptor have to take control of the centre hill and destroy the Ion, Tank and Hellbender which camp up there and take control of the map. Too many people are using those vehicles to attack the primary node when that could be done with the foot players. Once the primary node has been retaken you need 3/4 people to defend it while the rest of the team push on.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

]M[

Postby ]M[ » Sun 30. Oct 2016, 14:32

Cat1981England wrote:The only thing i would say about our current version is that people are not playing it right. ... Once the primary node has been retaken you need 3/4 people to defend it while the rest of the team push on.

Indeed, as with classic Torlan, strategy is important and vital if your team's primary has fallen. With this version (as with base-tank edition), the Ion facilitates a break out - a skilled [s]ion whore[/s] player can easily hit the centre and side nodes in two shots from the right position, once the primary has been rebuilt - however, it needs cover from team members, while the primary is being rebuilt and Ion in turn covers team at primary... then Ion covers centre/side while team builds & contends with opposing team at those nodes...

ThunderCat
Description: Swiggity swooty

Postby ThunderCat » Wed 9. Nov 2016, 15:20

I've been playing this map a few times now -- and though I enjoy it a lot -- I think Zon3r is on to something. It will more often than not turn one-sided -- and it seems next to impossible to make a comeback.

I may be way off here -- but last time I played it I really missed an extra option -- or another (backup) route to build nodes. Now if 2 or 4 is down there really are no other alternatives -- you gotta build the closest node first then rush to node 3 hoping you'll get it in time before afforementioned node gets destroyed. 5 and 1 are directly connected to enemy base so they become heavily guarded when a team get the upper hand (also they have a direct view of 2 and 4, which makes the struggle much harder)

So what I would suggest is that 5 and 1 be connected to the core individually -- then either to node 3 or each other. Making a bit of room or leeway for switching up tactics.

There's probably counter arguments for this system too -- but thats just my two cents :lol:

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 13. Nov 2016, 22:57

ONS-Torlan-C-beta2. Edited from the original Torlan.

What i've done is applied many of the changes in the 32p and Invitation-Final versions and then tried to balance as best i can. There's still a few things to be worked on such as the skybox (which i haven't got right yet) and some terrain editing, but it's ready for testing with real people.

The original Torlan link setup is still used, but now there are an additional node connected to each core which have 2 vehicles each and give people an additional place to spawn. Some changes to the other node vehicles and weapon lockers ammo has been changed. This all seems to work well with bots, but it needs testing with real players and i would ask everyone to give it a few plays before posting :thumbup:

As with the original and Invitation-Final, the centre ground should be considered a node in-of-itself and needs to be control if you want to win or come back into a match.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

]M[

Postby ]M[ » Tue 15. Nov 2016, 12:34

Thank you for this update, Cat :thumbup:

...just played once so far, but liking it as a starting point / step in evolving our own Torlan - initial suggestion: let's link the corner/side nodes as per 32p setup? Keep experiencing choke situation and most still don't really have the strategic know-how to get out of it - so, mebbe near-32p with two routes to core is best for now, or at least worth trying out?

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Tue 15. Nov 2016, 20:34

I haven't had a chance to see a match with a decent number of players but i suspect you're right :C

----------

A question for y'all:

Why do you think Arctic is a popular map while all the other stock maps have failed to remain popular, even though they have had similar 32 player tweaks made to them?

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Fri 25. Nov 2016, 22:07

ONS-Torlan-C-beta3

Even with extra nodes, vehicles, spawn points, changes to the nodes build times/health and the IonTank showing on the radar.... well it didn't make any difference :D So we'll try the idea you mentioned here M (and one or two others on the server) and connect the two side nodes to the corner nodes. I've also placed some extra vehicles at the core because there's two primaries now.

I am a little worried about this though, as it's looking fairly similar to our old Torlan which people never voted for :|

Xac
Description: keeping it UNreal since 2004

Postby Xac » Sat 26. Nov 2016, 10:47

Cat1981England wrote:A question for y'all:

Why do you think Arctic is a popular map while all the other stock maps have failed to remain popular, even though they have had similar 32 player tweaks made to them?

Good question...

On the whole, I think it's a reasonably well balanced map, a good node layout and there's something in it for everyone. There also aren't any over powered vehicles to ruin it ;)

However, even Artic can be tough to make a come back if one team loses control of it's primaries.
I tried to drown my sorrows, but somehow they learned how to swim...

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”