SpankJox

Feedback, discussion & bug reporting on current maps
Crusha K. Rool
Description: Coding Crocodile

SpankJox

Postby Crusha K. Rool » Sun 11. Dec 2016, 17:13

Could we please do something about the rotating skybox? It's giving me nausea every time the map comes up.

Unfortunately (or luckily) there are no stock maps with a real rotating skybox. So we can't really take anything as reference for a proper way of doing things.
But aside from reducing the rotation rate, another thing that could be taken into account is the size of the room that the SkyZoneInfo is in. Increasing the actual distance to the wall makes it less bothersome when it's rotating.

Then again, I don't see why the skybox needs to rotate at all (other than "because we can"). As it stands, only the space station itself seems to be rotating around its axes, while everything else is perfectly stable. Wouldn't it make more sense to align the rotation of your space station with the orbit of the planet it's following (like Phobos) or have it not rotate at all if there is no planet to orbit?

Cat1981England

Re: SpankJox

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 11. Dec 2016, 19:27

I've never felt this myself, but i'll asked Spank next time he's on :thumbup:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1:

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Crusha K. Rool

Postby Crusha K. Rool » Sun 11. Dec 2016, 20:31

Another weird phenomenon that I noticed at least when testing it in offline play: the RockingSkyZoneInfo only seems to be moving if you are actually looking towards a specific spot in the map. So it's randomly alternating between moving and not moving throughout the course of the match. The same was true for some community version of FacingWorlds, which was also using a RockingSkyZoneInfo that only moved if you looked from base to base but not when you looked sideways into space.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 11. Dec 2016, 21:19

I noticed that with the Torlan edit. It's a newly made skybox. Don't know why it's happening :dunnosoz: The RockingSkyZoneInfo in Spankjox has the same settings as CTF-FaceClassic, so i guess Spank copied it.

I forgot to ask, does the Torlan skybox also make you feel nauseous?

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Crusha K. Rool

Postby Crusha K. Rool » Mon 12. Dec 2016, 17:35

I only played that one for a couple of seconds when it was up on the server and didn't notice it at that time because I was mostly looking at the ground. But now that you mentioned it, I took a look in the editor and it's almost worse than SpankJox if you look at the sky. Probably because there are so many large things in the sky that you can focus on. :/

On a side note, on one occasion I fell through the map by ejecting out of an EONS Scorpion near the mountain range at south west edge of the map. Three other times I died on top of the mountain that's west from the central node, every time with the "left a small crater" message. I was in god mode and throwing some grenades at that mountain. One time I even died just by walking there. I was speeding the game up by factor 5 at that point, though, so maybe the physics got confused.

Cat1981England

Postby Cat1981England » Sun 1. Jan 2017, 20:40

I've tried everything to get the rotating skybox to work. A very large room, using a rotating SM, an emitter etc but it either doesn't look right or has the same problems as the old version. In the end i gave up, but if someone else wants to have a go, please do :thumbup:

This will go on the server for the time being, ONS-SpankJox-C

- New skybox. Similar to the old one but not rotating.
- Increased the lighting to help people see blue players.

-----

I'll also remove the rockingskyzoneinfo actor next time it's edited.

RottenToTheCore
Description: Not related to Power-Cores ;)

Postby RottenToTheCore » Fri 27. Jan 2017, 13:01

Put all details at minimum :thumbup:

Return to “Map Troubleshooting & Feedback”